Where do we rank Liover Peguero?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

psuinpgh21

Post by psuinpgh21 »

Your guess is as good as mine. The DBacks farm system is supposedly deeper than the Pirates'. Peguero is 19, hit .326 with 5 HR and 38 RBI in 60 games in rookie and short season. He is 6'1, 160, has good speed and is supposedly a plus defender at short, although some have speculated he could become a center fielder.

On the Bucs' website he is #7. Pirates prospects has him at #4. I won't give my 2 cents here, but is he closer to Oneil Cruz or Ji-Hwan Bae? Is he closer to Swaggerty or Lolo? He was #19 at Arizona.

Here is our listing so far. Sammy Siani took the #16 spot in a not so rousing round (only 20 votes). Who do you think he compares to (and you can expand in the comments)

The results so far:

1. Mitch Keller, SP, 23, AAA/ML, 63.2% of the votes

2. Ke'Bryan Hayes, 3B, 22, AAA 79.6% of the votes

3. O'Neil Cruz, 21, SS?, High A, 71.7% of the votes

4. Quinn Priester, 19, SP, Rookie, 23.6% of the votes, won run-off for #4

5. Travis Swaggerty, 22, OF, High A, 42.6% of the votes.

6. Cody Bolton, 21, SP, AA, 31.2% of the vote

7. Tahnaj Thomas, 20, SP, Low A, 32.7% of the votes

8. Mason Martin, 20, 1B, High A, 46.2% of the vote

9. Ji-Hwan Bae, 20, SS, Low A, 41% of the vote

10. Jared Oliva, 24, OF, AA, 23.3% of the vote, won run-off for #10

11. Cal Mitchell, 20, OF, High A, 52.2% of the vote

12. Will Craig, 25, 1B, AAA, 41.7% of the vote

13. J.T. Brubaker, 26, SP, AAA, 28.6% of the vote

14. Braxton Ashcraft, 20, SP, Rookie/SS, 24.4% of the vote

15. Lolo Sanchez, 20, OF, High A, 29.4% of the vote

16. Sammy Siani, 19, OF, Rookie, 30% of the vote
PMike

Post by PMike »

This is a good question. I think I may put him between Priester and Swaggerty. I like Priester's potential and they really need pitching. I'd put him ahead of Swaggerty because he is younger and I think you could make an argument that Peguero has had better success already.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

if Priester can be this high after just being drafted then the two players from AZ should be right behind him. High ceilings but far away.

SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

This is NOT easy. I can see arguments for any spot between Cruz and Bae. I chose just after Swaggerty.
CTBucco

Post by CTBucco »

I'm hopeful that Swaggerty will justify his draft position, but so far he hasn't had a season anywhere near what Peguero put up. And Peguero plays a position with a higher defensive premium than Swaggerty.

I'll give Priester an advantage for being a young pitcher who performed well in his debut with top-of-rotation potential.

So, slot him in at #5 for me. He has the second best chance among the position players to become a star.

Malone will land somewhere between #8 & #10 for me. Bolton and Thomas have both performed. Mason Martin and Bae have both had very good seasons. Malone has a very small sample size, but he has yet to prove anything as a professional. His upside is as high as any of the pitchers in the top 10 though.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

301A11211600000C630 wrote: This is NOT easy. I can see arguments for any spot between Cruz and Bae. I chose just after Swaggerty.

It seems our prospects are tiered a bit. The top 5 seem pretty firm, depending on your thoughts on Swaggerty. Then there is another tier of players until you hit Oliva -- who seem clearly in the third tier.

My thought when we got Peguero was, geez he's another Bae. It seems that Bae may end up at 2B, but he also had a very good year at High A this year and seems like he'll reach AA as a 21 year old. At a year younger and a level further behind, is Peguero better than Bae? I don't know, but I do like Bae a lot so slotted Peguero at 10.

I'd like to see another season before putting him near our Top 5. I go to games in the Pioneer League in Ogden and it's a pretty raw league. These are high-altitude teams in the Rockies. The pitcher's can't throw off speed stuff, and when they do, it doesn't move because ... the air is thin. He had a great season in Missoula and got moved up, but I'd like to see one more year from Peguero before I get too wound up.
psuinpgh21

Post by psuinpgh21 »

If this poll winds up tied I will give him a .5 (tied for 1st and 2nd, 1.5, 2nd and 3rd 2.5, etc). No run-off. This is the case right now, so if you don't like ties, vote...
CTBucco

Post by CTBucco »

0726333A023B20332637520 wrote: This is NOT easy. I can see arguments for any spot between Cruz and Bae. I chose just after Swaggerty.

It seems our prospects are tiered a bit. The top 5 seem pretty firm, depending on your thoughts on Swaggerty. Then there is another tier of players until you hit Oliva -- who seem clearly in the third tier.

My thought when we got Peguero was, geez he's another Bae. It seems that Bae may end up at 2B, but he also had a very good year at High A this year and seems like he'll reach AA as a 21 year old. At a year younger and a level further behind, is Peguero better than Bae? I don't know, but I do like Bae a lot so slotted Peguero at 10.

I'd like to see another season before putting him near our Top 5. I go to games in the Pioneer League in Ogden and it's a pretty raw league. These are high-altitude teams in the Rockies. The pitcher's can't throw off speed stuff, and when they do, it doesn't move because ... the air is thin. He had a great season in Missoula and got moved up, but I'd like to see one more year from Peguero before I get too wound up.

Those are good points, Utah. I hadn’t considered the location/altitude when looking at Peguero’s stats.  I probably would have put him just behind Thomas and Bolton.  The fact that some are projecting him to develop power would keep him ahead of Bae for me.  And his run and field tools would probably keep him ahead of Martin. I think the fact that I’m not tremendously high on Swaggerty and his ranking influenced my choice a lot.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

According to the Trib Peguero is being added to the Altoona group of players. The Bucs brass can keep eyes on him for a couple months.