Zack Godley dfa

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

shedman

Zack Godley dfa

Post by shedman »

241106060D3406060D0A06630 wrote: Has anyone expected it or written that it should happen in one off-season?

In essence, what we've written is- that stagnation is not the way to improve this or any team.  It's the 2019 team, which, as we shouldn't need to remind anyone, is not the 27 Yankees. 

And, that is exactly the start that this BC guy has done, any way someone may attempt to spin it.

If this is what we should come to expect, then we might as well have kept Huntington and Connelly.  That was painful.  This will be no less so.
___

Small market teams Cincinnati, Florida, and Milwaukee all made moves to improve their teams this offseason.  They aren't worrying about "seeing what they have", instead they are improving what they have.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Zack Godley dfa

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

263D303138343B550 wrote: Has anyone expected it or written that it should happen in one off-season?

In essence, what we've written is- that stagnation is not the way to improve this or any team.  It's the 2019 team, which, as we shouldn't need to remind anyone, is not the 27 Yankees. 

And, that is exactly the start that this BC guy has done, any way someone may attempt to spin it.

If this is what we should come to expect, then we might as well have kept Huntington and Connelly.  That was painful.  This will be no less so.
___

Small market teams Cincinnati, Florida, and Milwaukee all made moves to improve their teams this offseason.  They aren't worrying about "seeing what they have", instead they are improving what they have.

That sounds convincing if you say it fast. Truth is, each of the GMs in charge of those organization's have been in place for at least two years. They've already gone through their initial assessment process.
shedman

Zack Godley dfa

Post by shedman »

At this year's trade deadline Cherington will not make any acquisitions, but he will still be able to hide behind he is still "seeing what he has".  However, by this year's off season he will have to change the alibi.  My guess is that it will be he "doesn't want to acquire players who will block his LMG's". Next year's trade deadline, it will be, he "doesn't want to upset the team chemistry", and besides there is no point in spending money now because we are too far behind.
skinnyhorse

Zack Godley dfa

Post by skinnyhorse »

58434E4F464A452B0 wrote: At this year's trade deadline Cherington will not make any acquisitions, but he will still be able to hide behind he is still "seeing what he has".  However, by this year's off season he will have to change the alibi.  My guess is that it will be he "doesn't want to acquire players who will block his LMG's". Next year's trade deadline, it will be, he "doesn't want to upset the team chemistry", and besides there is no point in spending money now because we are too far behind.
Wow this is a pessimistic view, I will give the guy some time but I won't give him more the 2 years to see some progress. This waiting 3 or 4 years before seeing progress won't work for me. I'm hopeful we'll see progress this year surely this manager is better than the last 3 years of hapless Hurdle. Cherington must demand results and not put up with excuses from the scouts the manager the pitching coach and the organization as a whole. I so glad Hurdle and NH are gone it can't help but be better.
GreenWeenie

Zack Godley dfa

Post by GreenWeenie »

1E485E4A455F4F44495E6C4B414D4540024F2C0 wrote: Has anyone expected it or written that it should happen in one off-season?

___

That sounds convincing if you say it fast.  Truth is, each of the GMs in charge of those organization's have been in place for at least two years.  They've already gone through their initial assessment process.

These people do their homework.  They're not fast food workers.  They are some of the top executives in their chosen profession.  It's not like they have hundreds of competitors.  They have 29, and less than a handful of primary ones.

If they don't do their homework, there is a good chance the job is not offered to them.  Only an owner not interested in winning would hire an unprepared candidate.  These are jobs that pay at least hundreds of thousands of dollars a year, if not millions.

Cherington knew darned well what he would have if he accepted the Pirates offer.  It doesn't take very long to read the stats, look towards the bottom, and see that the Pirates finished dead last this past season for 25, maybe 40, reasons.  Add two if you count BOB and Huntington. 

If Cherington does not know what he has by now, get rid of him.  What takes time has nothing to do with the major league roster. 

One look at this roster and you know what the guy has. Not much.

No one is saying that all 25 or 40 should have been replaced.  I've written that the two weakest areas should have been improved upon by now.  We've done zilch.

No wonder we lose.  The franchise is given however many years someone gives them this ridiculous free pass. 

It is absolutely obvious that this team has no more dedication toward championship level baseball that it has had at this same time last season.  And, that wasn't much.

I'll say it slow-ly.  Get it done. 

To get it done, you have to get going.  Pirates anwer?  I'll get around to it one of these days.  Maybe.  When I feel like it.  It's like a teenager cleaning up his room.

Shed and I are saying to at least start to do something.  Make the bed.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Zack Godley dfa

776C616069656A040 wrote: At this year's trade deadline Cherington will not make any acquisitions, but he will still be able to hide behind he is still "seeing what he has".  However, by this year's off season he will have to change the alibi.  My guess is that it will be he "doesn't want to acquire players who will block his LMG's". Next year's trade deadline, it will be, he "doesn't want to upset the team chemistry", and besides there is no point in spending money now because we are too far behind.

Truthfully, do you think Cherington, or any GM, was going to conduct any business with another organization when all of the players spent mid-March through June in their homes? If by the Deadline, and certainly over the offseason, if he hasn't begun to make improvements, I'll be solidly behind your opinion. But under the circumstances of the season having been on hold, I'll give him that time.
Lecom

Zack Godley dfa

Post by Lecom »

As much as I like Shedmans politics. Doc is right Shedmans wrong!!! I reserve the right to change my mind next spring. Good seeing you guys yesterday.
GreenWeenie

Zack Godley dfa

Post by GreenWeenie »

If BOB wanted a guy who didn't know what he has.....he could have just kept Huntington! ;)

Must've been Hurdle's and the coaching staff's fault that we finished belly up.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Zack Godley dfa

674E4844462B0 wrote: As much as I like Shedmans politics. Doc is right Shedmans wrong!!! I reserve the right to change my mind next spring. Good seeing you guys yesterday. 

Good to see you yesterday, too. I'll give you a heads-up on other tee times in the future.
SCBucco

Zack Godley dfa

Post by SCBucco »

0B5D4B5F504A5A515C4B795E54585055175A390 wrote: Has anyone expected it or written that it should happen in one off-season?

___

That sounds convincing if you say it fast.  Truth is, each of the GMs in charge of those organization's have been in place for at least two years.  They've already gone through their initial assessment process.

Yes, you are right.  They have been with their respective time organizations for more than one year.  That said there is zero good add here.  You don't need to have a PhD in baseball GMship to know the pitcher here sucked/sucks and yet, no additions with except for putrid Holland.  I would try Godley instead of watching the lousy arms we are throwing out there at four and five in our rotation. But hey, we are in the running for the Kumar Rocker, Jack Leiter battle for 2021 draft.