Jung Ho Kang

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Jung Ho Kang

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

576569697D4F6C65686D6265040 wrote: Yeah we have several guys that can cover third, while that's the only thing Freese really does.

Freese is very good at 1B too. It's just Rodriguez is better. (Rodriguez might be the best defensive 1B I have ever seen). I don't mind Freese at all on the bench. I expect him to be the power bat or clutch situation pinch hitter. With how the current options stand right now, I don't think anyone is better for that role.
MaineBucs

Jung Ho Kang

Post by MaineBucs »

I send Osuna to AAA and let him hit and play every day. If it turns out that his bat is for real, perhaps the Pirates need to rethink Bell and Osuna. Perhaps Bell could return to RF and Osuna could take over 1st. I really like how Bell has progressed at 1st (he is now okay defensively), but the Pirates need power and if (read if) Osuna possesses such then the Bucs need to reexamine where they are at.

With respect to Freese --- the Bucs need to be shopping him. He should have value to some other team based on his performance last year and the fact that he only has 1 year on his contract.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Jung Ho Kang

They should have moved Bell to RF last year. Instead, they played Osuna there and kept Bell at 1B. This is why I don't see this happening, but I agree it is a good idea.
pghpaulatl

Jung Ho Kang

Post by pghpaulatl »

Agree Harrison & Freeze are exactly what the Yankees need, can't believe they won't give us what we want for them.
Quail

Jung Ho Kang

Post by Quail »

Here's what Hurdle had to say about Osuna from Rob Biertempfel's article in The Athletic:

As for Jose Osuna, “the third base thing is probably more attractive than left field,” Hurdle said. “There still might be an opportunity for him in right field.” A natural first baseman, Osuna played third base during winter ball.

If Hurdle plans on using Osuna at 3rd base why is David Freese on the team?
johnfluharty

Jung Ho Kang

Post by johnfluharty »

5276626A6F030 wrote: Here's what Hurdle had to say about Osuna from Rob Biertempfel's article in The Athletic:

As for Jose Osuna, “the third base thing is probably more attractive than left field,” Hurdle said. “There still might be an opportunity for him in right field.” A natural first baseman, Osuna played third base during winter ball.

If Hurdle plans on using Osuna at 3rd base why is David Freese on the team? 

Didn't say he'd use him, just that 3B was better than LF.  LF is huge at PNC, so I'd have to agree.  He'll probably end up starting the year in AAA.
dmetz

Jung Ho Kang

Post by dmetz »

Freese has much too large of platoon splits to serve any special purpose as a bunch bat. He's a low average, no power guy vs RHP and kills LHP.

Not going to do much as a bench bat hitting .250 and slugging .360 vs RHP.

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Jung Ho Kang

3A333B2A245E0 wrote: Freese has much too large of platoon splits to serve any special purpose as a bunch bat.   He's a low average, no power guy vs RHP and kills LHP.

Who are you putting in that role if not Freese?

I know you like to bring up a young guy for the bench, but Osuna only had 215 at bats last year. Do you use Osuna again?

Remember Mark Smith in 1997? I think of that type of player for the last bench spot. Matt Joyce was that guy in 2016. Not much playing time, but still made an impact.
SammyKhalifa

Jung Ho Kang

Post by SammyKhalifa »

313A323E3B3A216462152C343D3A3A7B363A550 wrote: Freese has much too large of platoon splits to serve any special purpose as a bunch bat.   He's a low average, no power guy vs RHP and kills LHP.

Who are you putting in that role if not Freese? 

I know you like to bring up a young guy for the bench, but Osuna only had 215 at bats last year.  Do you use Osuna again? 

Remember Mark Smith in 1997?  I think of that type of player for the last bench spot.  Matt Joyce was that guy in 2016.  Not much playing time, but still made an impact.

But you only have so much room on the bench.  5 guys maybe?

Barring trades whatever, I see this

Josh Bell

Jordy Mercer

Colin Moran

Josh Harrison

Francisco Cervelli

Gregory Polanco

Starling Marte

1 OF

So the bench

loser of  Jordan Luplow and Adam Frazier for OF spot

Sean Rodriguez

Elias Diaz

Max Moroff

that Nava guy. 

Freese

Osuna

whoever else

It seems like a guy or two are out of the picture.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Jung Ho Kang

I think the battle is between Luplow and Moroff in making the team. If they both are terrible, that opens the door up for Osuna or Nava.

Frazier is a lock.

Rodriguez is a lock.

Diaz is a lock.

Freese is probably a lock with an outside chance of being released (nice guy, good locker room guy, has winning experience).

That leaves one spot at this point. Two spots is a long shot, but could happen.