Shohei Ohtani

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

johnfluharty

Shohei Ohtani

Post by johnfluharty »

If he really wants to stand out he may lean away from going to a team with a lot of high-end talent.  He'll probably want a team that is good- at least on the cusp of being a true playoff caliber team- and one that has a reputation for developing both hitters and pitchers.  He may prefer a team where has a legit chance of being their number one starter.  He may also want a team that has had some success in turning players from Japan into successful MLB players. 

SammyKhalifa

Shohei Ohtani

Post by SammyKhalifa »

2F2A2D2B2329302D2437313C450 wrote: If he really wants to stand out he may lean away from going to a team with a lot of high-end talent.  He'll probably want a team that is good- at least on the cusp of being a true playoff caliber team- and one that has a reputation for developing both hitters and pitchers.  He may prefer a team where has a legit chance of being their number one starter.  He may also want a team that has had some success in turning players from Japan into successful MLB players. 

Not next year but it might be a good time/place to make a start with the White Sox. 

I'm still leaning Seattle though (though I'm sure "smart money" is on the Dodgers)
johnfluharty

Shohei Ohtani

Post by johnfluharty »

00323E3E2A183B323F3A3532530 wrote: If he really wants to stand out he may lean away from going to a team with a lot of high-end talent.  He'll probably want a team that is good- at least on the cusp of being a true playoff caliber team- and one that has a reputation for developing both hitters and pitchers.  He may prefer a team where has a legit chance of being their number one starter.  He may also want a team that has had some success in turning players from Japan into successful MLB players. 

Not next year but it might be a good time/place to make a start with the White Sox. 

I'm still leaning Seattle though (though I'm sure "smart money" is on the Dodgers)

I will be surprised if he chose the Dodgers. He'd be lost in a sea of talent there.
SammyKhalifa

Shohei Ohtani

Post by SammyKhalifa »

He might be lured by the tradition and the market and the pitchers' park though
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Shohei Ohtani

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

727770767E746D70796A6C61180 wrote: If he really wants to stand out he may lean away from going to a team with a lot of high-end talent.  He'll probably want a team that is good- at least on the cusp of being a true playoff caliber team- and one that has a reputation for developing both hitters and pitchers.  He may prefer a team where has a legit chance of being their number one starter.  He may also want a team that has had some success in turning players from Japan into successful MLB players. 

I will be surprised if he chose the Dodgers.  He'd be lost in a sea of talent there.

What does that mean?

According to his representatives, he isn't about the money or stardom.
mouse

Shohei Ohtani

Post by mouse »

I appreciate that he says the bonus money doesn't matter. Since he is limited in what he can receive I can see why he would say that. I just can't accept that he's as willing to give up the off-field endorsements, etc., that would come to him (as that would likely be a lot more than any signing bonus) and would likely be maximized in a big city where there is a large Japanese population - particularly if he is the only Japanese player on the team. That city isn't Pittsburgh.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Shohei Ohtani

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

66647E786E0B0 wrote: I appreciate that he says the bonus money doesn't matter. Since he is limited in what he can receive I can see why he would say that. I just can't accept that he's as willing to give up the off-field endorsements, etc., that would come to him (as that would likely be a lot more than any signing bonus) and would likely be maximized in a big city where there is a large Japanese population - particularly if he is the only Japanese player on the team. That city isn't Pittsburgh.

If he waits two years and comes over at age 25, he would just be a regular free agent. He isn't concerned about that right now and just wants to play ball at the highest level according to reports and his representatives.

I think any major endorsement can be had anywhere with the internet and the MLB brand backing players. Sure, some cities would be larger than others but the difference isn't that great. He seems to have other factors he prefers.
johnfluharty

Shohei Ohtani

Post by johnfluharty »

32302A2C3A5F0 wrote: I appreciate that he says the bonus money doesn't matter. Since he is limited in what he can receive I can see why he would say that. I just can't accept that he's as willing to give up the off-field endorsements, etc., that would come to him (as that would likely be a lot more than any signing bonus) and would likely be maximized in a big city where there is a large Japanese population - particularly if he is the only Japanese player on the team. That city isn't Pittsburgh.

Maybe he is banking on his second contract being mega-huge? Will whoever signs him will have control over his contract for 6 years as normal?
CTBucco

Shohei Ohtani

Post by CTBucco »

6461666068627B666F7C7A770E0 wrote: I appreciate that he says the bonus money doesn't matter. Since he is limited in what he can receive I can see why he would say that. I just can't accept that he's as willing to give up the off-field endorsements, etc., that would come to him (as that would likely be a lot more than any signing bonus) and would likely be maximized in a big city where there is a large Japanese population - particularly if he is the only Japanese player on the team. That city isn't Pittsburgh.

Maybe he is banking on his second contract being mega-huge?  Will whoever signs him will have control over his contract for 6 years as normal?
Good questions. He'd surely be looking for a huge 2nd deal.

Also, how do option years count toward the Int'l bonus pool? They cover salary, not bonus. Right? And option years aren't guaranteed money.
Bobster21

Shohei Ohtani

Post by Bobster21 »

Had to laugh at Tim Benz in the Trib:

In an interview Wednesday on 93.7 FM, general manager Neal Huntington said his Pirates will do “everything in our power” to convince Japanese superstar Shohei Ohtani to come to Pittsburgh.

In a related story, I will do everything in my power to convince Kate Beckinsale to join me on a private jet vacation to Tahiti.

I like my chances better.

And I don't even own a jet!

http://triblive.com/sports/columnists/t ... epress-you

;D ;D ;D