Outlook and age

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

ArnoldRothstein

Outlook and age

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

The 1979 pitching staff was wonderful. About the only real surprising performance in the series was Rooker. Nearly all of them had 15 year careers, I think Enrique Romo the only exception. And they dealt Jerry Reuss and Ed Whitson mid-season, without much pitching coming back.

I sometimes wonder about the emphasis on gathering young pitchers. Most of our good teams of the last 50 years have included a lot of veteran pitchers acquired from other teams, including some true reclamations.
Bobster21

Outlook and age

Post by Bobster21 »

7D4E525350586E5348544F485955523C0 wrote: The 1979 pitching staff was wonderful. About the only real surprising performance in the series was Rooker. Nearly all of them had 15 year careers, I think Enrique Romo the only exception. And they dealt Jerry Reuss and Ed Whitson mid-season, without much pitching coming back.

I sometimes wonder about the emphasis on gathering young pitchers. Most of our good teams of the last 50 years have included a lot of veteran pitchers acquired from other teams, including some true reclamations.
Rooker saved that WS! He had a poor, injury riddled season and was a desperation starter in game 5 when 1 more loss would end the series and he came up huge!

(Reuss was traded 2 days into the season before making any appearances for the 1979 Bucs.)
WildwoodDave2

Outlook and age

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

2A2F282E262C352821323439400 wrote: I was 9 in 79 so I guess that makes me 'old'.  Willie was on the down-side but still became my favorite, along with Parker and Tekulve and - well, just about anyone on that team.  Moreno, Jackson, Bibby - all those names bring real smiles to my face. 

Littlefield and Huntington have left me way to jaded to be optimistic, but Cherington has me feeling a little hopeful.  I like that he is adding talent at the bottom.  I just need to see it develop, and I will not hold my breath waiting for Nutting to go on a spending spree.

I was 32 in 1979, how do you think that makes me feel?
Ecbucs

Outlook and age

Post by Ecbucs »

06383D35263E3E351530273463510 wrote: I was 9 in 79 so I guess that makes me 'old'.  Willie was on the down-side but still became my favorite, along with Parker and Tekulve and - well, just about anyone on that team.  Moreno, Jackson, Bibby - all those names bring real smiles to my face. 

Littlefield and Huntington have left me way to jaded to be optimistic, but Cherington has me feeling a little hopeful.  I like that he is adding talent at the bottom.  I just need to see it develop, and I will not hold my breath waiting for Nutting to go on a spending spree.

old enough to be WVBucco's father?
johnfluharty

Outlook and age

Post by johnfluharty »

6F5C4041424A7C415A465D5A4B47402E0 wrote: The 1979 pitching staff was wonderful. About the only real surprising performance in the series was Rooker. Nearly all of them had 15 year careers, I think Enrique Romo the only exception. And they dealt Jerry Reuss and Ed Whitson mid-season, without much pitching coming back.

I am hoping, once we build a pretty strong team that we can have some confidence in, that Nutting will allow Cherington to add those two or three players to put us over the top, even if it costs $30M. I no basis in reality for this hope, but that's kind-of what you have to do if you really want to go all the way.

2drfischer@gmail.c

Outlook and age

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

494C4B4D454F564B4251575A230 wrote: The 1979 pitching staff was wonderful. About the only real surprising performance in the series was Rooker. Nearly all of them had 15 year careers, I think Enrique Romo the only exception. And they dealt Jerry Reuss and Ed Whitson mid-season, without much pitching coming back.

[highlight]I am hoping, once we build a pretty strong team that we can have some confidence in, that Nutting will allow Cherington to add those two or three players to put us over the top, even if it costs $30M.[/highlight]  I no basis in reality for this hope, but that's kind-of what you have to do if you really want to go all the way. 

I'd like to hope that, too, but I think Nutting would rather keep the $30 million. Winning matters less to him than turning a maximum profit does. That's his business plan and he's not deviating from it.
WildwoodDave2

Outlook and age

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

7C5A5B4C5A4A390 wrote: I was 9 in 79 so I guess that makes me 'old'.  Willie was on the down-side but still became my favorite, along with Parker and Tekulve and - well, just about anyone on that team.  Moreno, Jackson, Bibby - all those names bring real smiles to my face. 

old enough to be WVBucco's father?

That's about right. So he should respect his elders :D ;D