Board Vibe

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

PMike

Board Vibe

Post by PMike »

222B23323C460 wrote: Yeah come on guys.  Cheerlead like Pmike.   You're ruining the board!

Every thread is the same negativity.   It's hard to read 2-3 new negative posts per day!  That's just too much of an onslaught of negativity to enjoy.

C'mon, you are a better poster than that. Think of some counter arguments rather than misrepresenting mine. Do you write political rhetoric also?
JulianJay

Board Vibe

Post by JulianJay »

as badly/awkwardly done, the changing of management and coaching was handled, the "plan" seemed to be better results using more current methods to achieve them such as better pitching analytics.

Far as I can tell the new regime pretty much said they were going to re-evaluate what they had to work with owing to lack of confidence in prior evaluations. So better pitching even if just using current players with better, more individualized coaching aided by better defense. And better clubhouse culture.

Exactly what they said they were going to do. Unfortunately we will have to wait to see any results. Complaining about the past, my opinion, isn't fun or useful, so I laugh and dance and watch baseball. Why not/
shedman

Board Vibe

Post by shedman »

504D696B65000 wrote: I understand that the board would like to see less negativity.  We are all Pirate fans, some of us for many many years.  But. I am surprised that history seems to be repeating itself.  When Dave Littlefield was fired and Huntington was hired.  It was OK to take any and all shots at Littlefield, but nobody should dare criticize the new guy Huntington because he is so much better.  Now that Huntington has been shown the door, the very same Huntington is fair game, but nobody should dare criticize the new guy Cherington because he is so much better. Instead of criticizing the guy that is no longer here, I praise the Management for any move they make to make the team better and I criticize the Management when they do nothing to improve the team.  Improving the team is why they are here and what they are being paid for.  Cherington needs to stop kicking the can down the road and do his job.
________

When Huntington first came here, the story was that he will be different from Littlefield.  He will build the farm system, draft better, emphasize player development, and build from within.  Huntington wouldn't worry about winning a few more games this  year and that he would spend when the time was right.  The only thing that has changed now is the name of the GM is changed from Huntington to Cherington.  I will jump on the Cherington bandwagon the very moment in whatever year he does something to improve the team.

In BC's defense, he hasn't had a chance to do any of the things you mentioned (that I bolded).

________

I will defend BC if he makes a move to improve the team even if that move falls flat and doesn't work. At least he would be trying! I will praise BC if he makes a move that works out good. If he makes a move and we end up winning nothing, I will still defend BC because he is trying. However, I will criticize him he does nothing but sit there and spout the same old blubbering that Huntington did.
PMike

Board Vibe

Post by PMike »

362D202128242B450 wrote: I understand that the board would like to see less negativity.  We are all Pirate fans, some of us for many many years.  But. I am surprised that history seems to be repeating itself.  When Dave Littlefield was fired and Huntington was hired.  It was OK to take any and all shots at Littlefield, but nobody should dare criticize the new guy Huntington because he is so much better.  Now that Huntington has been shown the door, the very same Huntington is fair game, but nobody should dare criticize the new guy Cherington because he is so much better. Instead of criticizing the guy that is no longer here, I praise the Management for any move they make to make the team better and I criticize the Management when they do nothing to improve the team.  Improving the team is why they are here and what they are being paid for.  Cherington needs to stop kicking the can down the road and do his job.
________

When Huntington first came here, the story was that he will be different from Littlefield.  He will build the farm system, draft better, emphasize player development, and build from within.  Huntington wouldn't worry about winning a few more games this  year and that he would spend when the time was right.  The only thing that has changed now is the name of the GM is changed from Huntington to Cherington.  I will jump on the Cherington bandwagon the very moment in whatever year he does something to improve the team.

In BC's defense, he hasn't had a chance to do any of the things you mentioned (that I bolded).

________

I will defend BC if he makes a move to improve the team even if that move falls flat and doesn't work.  At least he would be trying! I will praise BC if he makes a move that works out good.  If he makes a move and we end up winning nothing, I will still defend BC because he is trying.  However, I will criticize him he does nothing but sit there and spout the same old blubbering that Huntington did.

He better be better at making moves than his predecessor was in his latter years. He needs to be better at drafting, developing, and transitioning to the majors than his predecessor was.
Ecbucs

Board Vibe

Post by Ecbucs »

504D696B65000 wrote: I understand that the board would like to see less negativity.  We are all Pirate fans, some of us for many many years.  But. I am surprised that history seems to be repeating itself.  When Dave Littlefield was fired and Huntington was hired.  It was OK to take any and all shots at Littlefield, but nobody should dare criticize the new guy Huntington because he is so much better.  Now that Huntington has been shown the door, the very same Huntington is fair game, but nobody should dare criticize the new guy Cherington because he is so much better. Instead of criticizing the guy that is no longer here, I praise the Management for any move they make to make the team better and I criticize the Management when they do nothing to improve the team.  Improving the team is why they are here and what they are being paid for.  Cherington needs to stop kicking the can down the road and do his job.
________

________

I will defend BC if he makes a move to improve the team even if that move falls flat and doesn't work.  At least he would be trying! I will praise BC if he makes a move that works out good.  If he makes a move and we end up winning nothing, I will still defend BC because he is trying.  However, I will criticize him he does nothing but sit there and spout the same old blubbering that Huntington did.

He better be better at making moves than his predecessor was in his latter years.  He needs to be better at drafting, developing, and transitioning to the majors than his predecessor was.

yep, and Nutting needs to be better at evaluating Ben. Its clear in hindsight that NH stayed at least a couple years too long to have the team in the state it is in now.
Surgnbuck

Board Vibe

Post by Surgnbuck »

100B06070E020D630 wrote: I understand that the board would like to see less negativity.  We are all Pirate fans, some of us for many many years.  But. I am surprised that history seems to be repeating itself.  When Dave Littlefield was fired and Huntington was hired.  It was OK to take any and all shots at Littlefield, but nobody should dare criticize the new guy Huntington because he is so much better.  Now that Huntington has been shown the door, the very same Huntington is fair game, but nobody should dare criticize the new guy Cherington because he is so much better. Instead of criticizing the guy that is no longer here, I praise the Management for any move they make to make the team better and I criticize the Management when they do nothing to improve the team.  Improving the team is why they are here and what they are being paid for.  Cherington needs to stop kicking the can down the road and do his job.
________

Now this is where you and I part paths. How the hell do you know if he has improved the team or not? By what insane measure are you using? And define "improve the team". If they win 79 games...does that count? Define it and own it. In the mean time, you're having NH withdrawal. You've been saying the same stuff for so long, you don't know what else to say anymore.

Honestly, I'd like to know what you mean by he hasn't improved the team one bit. We need a yard stick here sir, not just rhetoric.
WildwoodDave

Board Vibe

Post by WildwoodDave »

321413060F0314020A610 wrote: I understand that the board would like to see less negativity.  We are all Pirate fans, some of us for many many years.  But. I am surprised that history seems to be repeating itself.  When Dave Littlefield was fired and Huntington was hired.  It was OK to take any and all shots at Littlefield, but nobody should dare criticize the new guy Huntington because he is so much better.  Now that Huntington has been shown the door, the very same Huntington is fair game, but nobody should dare criticize the new guy Cherington because he is so much better. Instead of criticizing the guy that is no longer here, I praise the Management for any move they make to make the team better and I criticize the Management when they do nothing to improve the team.  Improving the team is why they are here and what they are being paid for.  Cherington needs to stop kicking the can down the road and do his job.
________

Now this is where you and I part paths. How the hell do you know if he has improved the team or not? By what insane measure are you using? And define "improve the team". If they win 79 games...does that count? Define it and own it.  In the mean time, you're having NH withdrawal. You've been saying the same stuff for so long, you don't know what else to say anymore.

Honestly, I'd like to know what you mean by he hasn't improved the team one bit. We need a yard stick here sir, not just rhetoric.

Kicking the can! Where did I hear that before?
shedman

Board Vibe

Post by shedman »

321413060F0314020A610 wrote: I understand that the board would like to see less negativity.  We are all Pirate fans, some of us for many many years.  But. I am surprised that history seems to be repeating itself.  When Dave Littlefield was fired and Huntington was hired.  It was OK to take any and all shots at Littlefield, but nobody should dare criticize the new guy Huntington because he is so much better.  Now that Huntington has been shown the door, the very same Huntington is fair game, but nobody should dare criticize the new guy Cherington because he is so much better. Instead of criticizing the guy that is no longer here, I praise the Management for any move they make to make the team better and I criticize the Management when they do nothing to improve the team.  Improving the team is why they are here and what they are being paid for.  Cherington needs to stop kicking the can down the road and do his job.
________

Now this is where you and I part paths. How the hell do you know if he has improved the team or not? By what insane measure are you using? And define "improve the team". If they win 79 games...does that count? Define it and own it.  In the mean time, you're having NH withdrawal. You've been saying the same stuff for so long, you don't know what else to say anymore.

_________

Where we part ways is I believe in actions of the Management and you believe in their talk. I believe "improvement" is when they bring in major league ball players to fill holes in the lineup. Cherington did none of that this off season. You accept them blubbering about player development, building the farm system, and spending when the time is right just like they did with Huntington.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Board Vibe

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

253E33323B3738560 wrote: I understand that the board would like to see less negativity.  We are all Pirate fans, some of us for many many years.  But. I am surprised that history seems to be repeating itself.  When Dave Littlefield was fired and Huntington was hired.  It was OK to take any and all shots at Littlefield, but nobody should dare criticize the new guy Huntington because he is so much better.  Now that Huntington has been shown the door, the very same Huntington is fair game, but nobody should dare criticize the new guy Cherington because he is so much better. Instead of criticizing the guy that is no longer here, I praise the Management for any move they make to make the team better and I criticize the Management when they do nothing to improve the team.  Improving the team is why they are here and what they are being paid for.  Cherington needs to stop kicking the can down the road and do his job.
________

_________

Where we part ways is I believe in actions of the Management and you believe in their talk.  I believe "improvement" is when they bring in major league ball players to fill holes in the lineup.  Cherington did none of that this off season.  You accept them blubbering about player development, building the farm system, and spending when the time is right just like they did with Huntington. 

Yet again we see the organization exposed. The owner will not allow the payroll to rise to a competitive level (in fact, not even in line with similar markets), and the farm system is once again void of players who can come to Pittsburgh and make the club better right away. BC is going to have to sell his soul to make the club competitive in these next three years.
Quail

Board Vibe

Post by Quail »

So, Ben Cherington has had four and a half months to improve this team, and what has he done? Made a few deals and signed some free agents. Put his coaching staff in place to provide guidance and instruction. And the results so far?

There are actually folks here who are opining that the results are unacceptable, and yet this team has yet to play even one meaningful game. Are you kidding me???

Oh yeah, and I'm counting the days until the yinzer hoards come after Mario with their pitchforks and torches. ::)