Game thread 9/2. Hayes Alford playing

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Helen Keller is Mustgroove, only worse.

We're pretty much at Square 1, and BOB collects his $200.
shedman

Post by shedman »

__5164737378417373787F73160 wrote: Helen Keller is Mustgroove, only worse.

We're pretty much at Square 1, and BOB collects his $200.
____

The excuses and alibis change over time, but BOB always gets his.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

The excuses and alibis hardly ever change.

It's only the names that change.

That's what annoys me. One would think that we would have learned by now. I don't think some have.

See what we have? We've had this stuff for years.
maher.timothy20@gm

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

You guys are way too negative. Name one team in the league that has a deeper collection of number 5 starters. Name one team that has a deeper collection hitters who'd look great in the 7-8-9 slot of a playoff team.

Focus on the positive.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Halfway decent stadium.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

082528393E2F38787B4A0 wrote: Tucker seems like a real likeable guy and I find myself rooting for him. Not just because he's a Pirate but I'd like to see have a good career. But at this point it's not a sure thing that he can hit well enough to have a career. So I just don't understand having him learning to play OF where better than average hitting is expected when he's already a skilled SS and if he can hit well enough to play SS it won't require him to go beyond that hitting ability to hit as an OFer. And they don't even know if he will work out defensively as an OFer.

So you either have a kid who's a good SS and hopefully will hit well enough to start there or you have a kid who may or may not be a good OFer but almost certainly will not hit well enough to play there even if he works out defensively. As usual, the Pirate way of doing things is a head scratcher.   
He could make a good player the question is does he have the mental makeup to do it. He's a good athelete, fast, co-ordinated, he needs to learn to use his speed, bunt, bring the infield in and slap the ball by them get on steal bases continue to get better at hitting. If Pete Rose can make a great ball player, Tucker can become a good player, but he's going to need to have the mental attitude and smartness, all this remains to be seen, but he needs to get going now he doesn't have a lot of time to prove himself.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Pete Rose hit MLB pitching.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

7144535358615353585F53360 wrote: Pete Rose hit MLB pitching.

I think Pete Rose could hit .325 against God!
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Unbelievable.  It's one thing to be a homey, but this is ridiculous.  We have one guy using Mike Trout and Maz for examples.  Another guy uses Pete Rose.

Since they have him in Right, I'll say that maybe this pipsqueak Tucker can play like DAVE PARKER someday.

They have this kid playing 15 positions.....because he can't play any.

One home run will cut it....if your name's Bill Mazeroski.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

526770707B4270707B7C70150 wrote: Unbelievable.  It's one thing to be a homey, but this is ridiculous.  We have one guy using Mike Trout and Maz for examples.  Another guy uses Pete Rose.

Since they have him in Right, I'll say that maybe this pipsqueak Tucker can play like DAVE PARKER someday.

They have this kid playing 15 positions.....because he can't play any.

One home run will cut it....if your name's Bill Mazeroski.
There is ONE position Tucker can play: shortstop. When they've let him play there he's been their top defensive SS. They are so impressed with Newman at SS that they keep putting him at 2B so utility guy Gonzalez can play SS. Gonzalez is erratic. Hurdle even said as much in ST 2019. And we've seen it this year. He makes great plays and he botches routine ones. In the Cleveland organization Gonzalez was always an inf-of utility guy even in the minors; never a regular SS. So it makes no sense that they have kept Tucker--their best defensive SS--in the OF.

More hitting is expected from OFers than from SSs. Tucker's ability to hit has always been in question. Against AA pitchers he hit .259. Against AAA pitchers he hit .261. So far he has barely hit MLB pitching (.221 career). He doesn't have power so he needs to hit for average and get on base. He has never shown an ability to do this so it's not as if he's merely off to a slow start. So the geniuses who run the Pirates have decided that maybe he not only can become a good outfielder but also a competent hitter for an OFer. But the only thing they know for sure about him is that he's a good SS--likely their best. If his hitting doesn't improve he won't be a starter at any position. So even if he becomes a good OFer, his hitting could keep him on the bench. And if he's going to be on the bench he would have more value as a good infielder. But they won't let him play there. It seems like Homer Simpson is running the Pirates.

As for Maz, yes, 1 home run cut it. Well....that and 8 Gold Gloves, 7 All-star appearances, the MLB career leader in DPs for a 2Bman, the league leader in 2B assists 9 times, the league leader in 2B DPs 8 times, putouts 5 times, fielding pct 3 times, the highest ranked defensive player at ANY position by Bill James.......and 1 HR. :)