Pirates @ Detroit 4/16, 6:40 start

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

70787B6C7A7A76190 wrote: Great win.  On a side note Kirk Gibson may be the most boring color guy with the most inflectionless voice that I have ever heard. 

Absolutely horrible. I was dying for Joe Block.

maher.timothy20@gm

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

5D5A4C444A5D1A166F48424E4643014C40422F0 wrote: Great win.  On a side note Kirk Gibson may be the most boring color guy with the most inflectionless voice that I have ever heard. 

Absolutely horrible.  I was dying for Joe Block.

You guys probably don't know this but he's dealing with Parkinson's. And he's a baseball legend, so let's cut him some slack. He does sound weak.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

5D7C745D767E190 wrote: Raise It!  Seems the shortest tenured Buc and the longest tenured Buc worked some 10 inning lightning and brought home a big win.
The shortest tendered Buc needs to play everyday. If Martin had not gotten a single, Marte does not bat in the tenth. Who knows how that game may have ended. Martin has had a hand in the last two victories. Let him play to see how he performs!
maher.timothy20@gm

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

323E3F646D646C61667963540 wrote: Raise It!  Seems the shortest tenured Buc and the longest tenured Buc worked some 10 inning lightning and brought home a big win.
The shortest tendered Buc needs to play everyday. If Martin had not gotten a single, Marte does not bat in the tenth. Who knows how that game may have ended. Martin has had a hand in the last two victories. Let him play to see how he performs!

No, he needs some rest now.
iabucco

Post by iabucco »

58545D50471B415C585A415D4C0705755258350 wrote: Great win.  On a side note Kirk Gibson may be the most boring color guy with the most inflectionless voice that I have ever heard. 

You guys probably don't know this but he's dealing with Parkinson's. And he's a baseball legend, so let's cut him some slack. He does sound weak.

I did not know that about Gibson. That would explain how little emotion or strength his voice had. It was just weird watching the game with the Detroit feed because everything was so quiet. The crowd and both announcers just kept putting me into a trance.
rucker59@gmail.com

2820233422222E410 wrote: Great win.  On a side note Kirk Gibson may be the most boring color guy with the most inflectionless voice that I have ever heard. 

I did not know that about Gibson.  That would explain how little emotion or strength his voice had.  It was just weird watching the game with the Detroit feed because everything was so quiet.  The crowd and both announcers just kept putting me into a trance. 

I did not know this either. Good for him for the courage and giving his best.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Good opportunity upcoming for the Pirates if they win tonight, win 2 out of 3 this weekend against a Giants team that can’t score any runs and split the 4 games against the DBacks next week. The Pirates have a chance to be 14-9 going into the series in LA and seeing how many injuries this team has that would truly be remarkable.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

545A5F5640495656330 wrote: Come on guys...wrap this one up.  Inspite of our skipper.

Does he get credit for Kang's good game or just blame for Kela's bad one?
rucker59@gmail.com

64565A5A4E7C5F565B5E5156370 wrote: Come on guys...wrap this one up.  Inspite of our skipper.

This would be a good thread of its own.  I think has mostly been good this season.  i really like how he's handled Melky, Kang. Moran.  He's made the correct decisions with Bell.  I really like how he's handled Martin and actually the entire outfield.  Can't blame him for the pen. But he did make a mistake with V; unless there is some reason to sit him, I think this was nearly a costly decision.

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

2F283E36382F68641D3A303C3431733E32305D0 wrote: Come on guys...wrap this one up.  Inspite of our skipper.

This would be a good thread of its own.  I think has mostly been good this season.  i really like how he's handled Melky, Kang. Morno.  He's made the correct decisions with Bell.  I really like how he's handled Martin and actually the entire outfield.  Can't blame him for the pen. But he did make a mistake with V; unless there is some reason to sit him, I think this was nearly a costly decision.
Vazquez pitched 2 innings Sunday. That should have precluded him from pitching on Monday. But alas! The team was off on Monday. Then Hurdle decided it was also prudent to rest Vazquez on Tuesday even tho, as the only reliable arm in the BP and the one who generally protects a 1 run lead in the 9th, it meant trusting the unreliable Kela. They are also off on Thursday. This means that the 2 innings Vazquez pitched on Sunday require---according to Clint "I'm here to rest the players" Hurdle---that Vazquez must rest for 3 of the next 4 days.

Hurdle certainly is not to blame for Kela's poor pitching. But he is to blame for trusting the struggling Kela with a 1 run lead in the 9th when Vazquez had rested the day before. But Hurdle seems to believe that no amount of rest is ever sufficient and that losing is preferable to not getting plenty of rest.