Rocker vs Leiter as it now stands.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6F687E76786F28245D7A707C7471337E72701D0 wrote: And plan on paying to keep a player or two into free agency.

Yes.  Especially if it’s a pitcher that took a couple years to develop.  But we know the most expensive FA years to buy out. 
The player has to want to stay. And when the Pirates are noncompetitive, players look forward to the time they can leave and have options as a FA.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

New write up on draft.  Leiter and Lawlar ##1 & 2.   Check write up on Leiter withNutting reference.  Also - forget Lawlar signing below slot.

Oops: link - now I can’t find the link. Bottom line, every review I’ve read the past day has moved Rocker down toward #5 or so.
MJohnson

Post by MJohnson »

426F62737465723231000 wrote: And plan on paying to keep a player or two into free agency.

Yes.  Especially if it’s a pitcher that took a couple years to develop.  But we know the most expensive FA years to buy out. 
The player has to want to stay. And when the Pirates are noncompetitive, players look forward to the time they can leave and have options as a FA.

Right, but that hurdle isn't any bigger when trying to keep a player than it is when trying to sign a FA.

If the goal is to develop a class of players who all mature into a championship team the same season prior to becoming free agents, then honestly, that #1 pick really won't make much of a difference.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

6E697F77796E29255C7B717D7570327F73711C0 wrote: And plan on paying to keep a player or two into free agency.

I'm really sick of keeping pitchers in the minors 5 years or so. That's ridiculous but that's what we do. The only one I can remember who didn't is Cole. I think he was only in minors for a year. He turned out pretty good. I think he negotiated that in his signing contract. More young pitcher could learn from Cole. A pitcher only has so many pitches in his arm.
PMike

Post by PMike »

3D252720203726213C3D2B4E0 wrote: And plan on paying to keep a player or two into free agency.

I'm really sick of keeping pitchers in the minors 5 years or so.  That's ridiculous but that's what we do.  The only one I can remember who didn't is Cole.  I think he was only in minors for a year.  He turned out pretty good.  I think he negotiated that in his signing contract.  More young pitcher could learn from Cole.  A pitcher only has so many pitches in his arm.

I agree. Especially with college pitchers who are already in their 20s. Leiter and Rocker will have already pitched some huge games in the playoffs on national TV by the time they are drafted. With those experiences (especially if they dominate) they will have already had to deal with the big time pressures that come with playing pro ball against other pro players. They shouldn't need that much seasoning in the minors.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

64795D5F51340 wrote: And plan on paying to keep a player or two into free agency.

I'm really sick of keeping pitchers in the minors 5 years or so.  That's ridiculous but that's what we do.  The only one I can remember who didn't is Cole.  I think he was only in minors for a year.  He turned out pretty good.  I think he negotiated that in his signing contract.  More young pitcher could learn from Cole.  A pitcher only has so many pitches in his arm.

I agree.  Especially with college pitchers who are already in their 20s.  Leiter and Rocker will have already pitched some huge games in the playoffs on national TV by the time they are drafted.  With those experiences (especially if they dominate) they will have already had to deal with the big time pressures that come with playing pro ball against other pro players.  They shouldn't need that much seasoning in the minors.

they shouldn't need much seasoning but they need to go the minors and dominate there too. I don't know if it is the Pirates development staff, coaching or scouting but the team has not had success in turning pitchers into good pitchers, no doubt some because of injury. But Kingham, Glasnow, Keller, Kuhl have not yet produced for the Bucs. Brubaker is the exception but still only a limited number of appearances for him.
steve49

Post by steve49 »

Leiter was rocked for the second straight start . Looking like it could be the HS ss ?
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

595E4F5C4F1E132A0 wrote: Leiter was rocked for the second straight start . Looking like it could be the HS ss ?
I just noticed that Leiter had a rough game today. Only 4 innings pitched 7 runs and five were earned runs. It is going to be a tough choice for the Pirates. Lawler is beginning to be in play as a number 1 pick.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

As I stated in an earlier post when Leiter was pitching lights out.

Wait and see when he has pitched more innings. He has not pitched many innings to date. Rocker has the frame and physicality to log innings. I think either one will be a fine #1 pick though I prefer Rocker. This is the one chance for the Bucs to land legit #1 starter.

They can only do this through the draft.

No way do you waste this pick on a HS SS unless he has the same genes as a Tatis.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

6B4E4D4D58734E464453210 wrote: As I stated in an earlier post when Leiter was pitching lights out.

Wait and see when he has pitched more innings. He has not pitched many innings to date. Rocker has the frame and physicality to log innings. I think either one will be a fine #1 pick though I prefer Rocker. This is the one chance for the Bucs to land  legit #1 starter.

They can only do this through the draft.

No way do you waste this pick on a HS SS unless he has the same genes as a Tatis.
Whoever they pick they must get them up quick. This crap of keeping a number 1 in the minors for 4 years is ridiculous. If their that far away then we should never have choose them. Whoever they sign the prospect should negotiate that in their contract.