Some thoughts about the rest of the season . . .

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Kovalwat

Post by Kovalwat »

755F546453454549260 wrote: First, NH needs to admit to himself that it is time to move on from some of the veterans, particularly Mercer and Harrison in the middle.  He (correctly) did this once before when he traded both Jack Wilson and Freddie Sanchez even though many fans screamed.

Although I am far from enamored with Frazier's defense at second, the team may have suitable replacements on the current roster in Newman, Kramer, Frazier and the Hecheveria (Sp?) for the middle infield, and if the need arises, they could go get someone for a year to help out.   I give Newman, Kramer and Frazier the majority of the starts in the middle infield once Indy's season is over.

I believe the biggest hole on the team is first base.  Bell has provided little to nothing; no power, very substandard defense, and little regular hitting ability.  While I don't think that Osuna is a good substitute, I give him the majority of starts at first after Indy's season is over.   And, if Cervelli's future with the team is as a part-time first baseman and catcher, let him learn first base in the off-season and in spring training.  We already know what he can do at the plate (mediocre hitter who is having one of his best seasons), but we need to see if Osuna is or is not worthy of a roster spot and place on the MLB team for next year. 

In the outfield, I give Luplow some real consistent playing time in LF and RF.  Perhaps he can supply some of the power that the Pirates are missing. We also need a real 4th outfielder for next year, and may need some one to platoon with Dickerson, should the team resign him. 

I like David Freese.  At this point he is a better 3rd baseman than Moran, particularly if used in the right circumstances.  That said, the Bucs need to use Moran against all RH's and the majority of LH's.  Freese should start no more than 2 times per week.

Rodriguez needs to be relegated to a striking out role; no starts, except for the last home game of the season.

Most of the arms in the pen are now a real asset; Vasquez, Crick, Santana, Kela and Rodriguez.  The other two spots in the pen have been a mess.  Brault pitched one of his best games on Friday.  Kingham doesn't appear to have good enough stuff to be a MLB pitcher; unless he consistently hits his spots.  Although I expect really bad results, once the Indy season ends, it is time to throw the Never Man, Bosher, Holmes and anyone else who could have a role next year to the wolves.  If they don't show any promise, perhaps they don't deserve a roster spot.         

I want to think differently and I always want to see the Pirates win, but these last 35 games or so of the season should be about preparing for next year rather than fitting for a wild card spot that has sadly slipped out of sight.
Good post, Mainer. One change I would like to see is Osuna getting platoon time at 3rd base with Moran. I hope they trade Freese at the deadline. Osuna's 2019 role would be redundant to Freese and Osuna has nothing left to prove at AAA.

Agree that Mercer and Harrison need to be traded or benched. Might as well see what we can get out of Newman, Kramer and Frazier needs at bats at 2nd, too.

---

BOB, why would you salary dump Harrison and Mercer and replace them with LMG's other that to pocket even more money. Don't you think you have enough already?
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

311B10201701010D620 wrote: First, NH needs to admit to himself that it is time to move on from some of the veterans, particularly Mercer and Harrison in the middle.  He (correctly) did this once before when he traded both Jack Wilson and Freddie Sanchez even though many fans screamed.

Although I am far from enamored with Frazier's defense at second, the team may have suitable replacements on the current roster in Newman, Kramer, Frazier and the Hecheveria (Sp?) for the middle infield, and if the need arises, they could go get someone for a year to help out.   I give Newman, Kramer and Frazier the majority of the starts in the middle infield once Indy's season is over.

I believe the biggest hole on the team is first base.  Bell has provided little to nothing; no power, very substandard defense, and little regular hitting ability.  While I don't think that Osuna is a good substitute, I give him the majority of starts at first after Indy's season is over.   And, if Cervelli's future with the team is as a part-time first baseman and catcher, let him learn first base in the off-season and in spring training.  We already know what he can do at the plate (mediocre hitter who is having one of his best seasons), but we need to see if Osuna is or is not worthy of a roster spot and place on the MLB team for next year. 

In the outfield, I give Luplow some real consistent playing time in LF and RF.  Perhaps he can supply some of the power that the Pirates are missing. We also need a real 4th outfielder for next year, and may need some one to platoon with Dickerson, should the team resign him. 

I like David Freese.  At this point he is a better 3rd baseman than Moran, particularly if used in the right circumstances.  That said, the Bucs need to use Moran against all RH's and the majority of LH's.  Freese should start no more than 2 times per week.

Rodriguez needs to be relegated to a striking out role; no starts, except for the last home game of the season.

Most of the arms in the pen are now a real asset; Vasquez, Crick, Santana, Kela and Rodriguez.  The other two spots in the pen have been a mess.  Brault pitched one of his best games on Friday.  Kingham doesn't appear to have good enough stuff to be a MLB pitcher; unless he consistently hits his spots.  Although I expect really bad results, once the Indy season ends, it is time to throw the Never Man, Bosher, Holmes and anyone else who could have a role next year to the wolves.  If they don't show any promise, perhaps they don't deserve a roster spot.         

I want to think differently and I always want to see the Pirates win, but these last 35 games or so of the season should be about preparing for next year rather than fitting for a wild card spot that has sadly slipped out of sight.
Good post, Mainer. One change I would like to see is Osuna getting platoon time at 3rd base with Moran. I hope they trade Freese at the deadline. Osuna's 2019 role would be redundant to Freese and Osuna has nothing left to prove at AAA.

Agree that Mercer and Harrison need to be traded or benched. Might as well see what we can get out of Newman, Kramer and Frazier needs at bats at 2nd, too.

SyrBucco we seem to be on the same page. How you doin'? Heard from Jimbo lately? Miss that guy and his crazy softball golf swing. Back on topic.

I am not sold on Osuna as of yet. If he can hit with some power and play decent 2B to go along with his better than avg 1B ability then he does make Freese redundant. So the idea is we bring him up in Sept and let him take over at 1B & 3B in an S-Rod type role where he comes in as a D-replacement in the 5th or 6th inning for Moran, Bell, Freese. We need to have some idea what he can do in 2019.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

What a day. Too darn hot to go outside and go grocery shopping but I will.

I am so darn bored today. Wondering what the Bucs will do the rest of the month with the kids they have brought up? Will they get a decent amount of playing time? And if they do how will it affect the starting pitching staff which seems to be set for 2019? Will it tell the pitching staff that their records and accomplishments this season don't count?

Hell, would somebody post something positive about the next month to cheer me up, please. :-[