general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Quintana to the Cubs

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Ha.

Jeff Sullivan‏ @based_ball 2h2 hours ago

More

can't imagine the relief Quintana must feel now that he's become one of the few players in MLB history to get traded without having to move
IABucFan

Quintana to the Cubs

Post by IABucFan »

I'm surprised to see this. I kind of like the move from the Cubs perspective. Sounds like a good deal from the Sox perspective, as well. If an earlier comp is accurate--Meadows and Keller, plus two throw-ins--that's too rich for my blood. Personally, I'd value Quintana a little bit higher than Cole. I think Cole probably has better pure stuff, but has never really figured out how to tap into his immense potential. Add to that the fact that Q is a lefty (more rare) and has less of an injury history, he carries more trade value.

I'm indifferent to a potential Cole trade. I love his potential, but can certainly see an argument that we'd be better off in the long run with a couple of top prospects.
iabucco

Quintana to the Cubs

Post by iabucco »

I think it was a must move by the Cubs. This can salvage this year and next year Arietta is likely gone and there are serious questions about Lackey and Lester. Adding a proven pitcher without having to over pay in free agency is a really good move.
dave3BA

Quintana to the Cubs

Post by dave3BA »

4E454D4144455E1B1D6A534B4245450449452A0 wrote: Quintana is a strong #2. He pitches 200+ innings every year, and puts up numbers comparable to Cole. Quintana is left handed. In short, Quintana is a better value than Cole.

Overall stats would have Cole being the better pitcher.  They are pretty even with a little edge going to Cole.

(I don't know how to figure in the DH in the AL)

Yeah, if you ignore that Cole pitches in the NL, Quintana the AL, Cole pitches in a pitcher's park, Quintana a hitter's park, and the biggest thing of all: Quintana has pitched 200 innings the past 4 years in a row, Cole has had lots of injuries and has eclipsed 200 innings just once. On top of that, every reliable stat has them within 5% of each other, which means they are virtually the same when it comes to effectiveness.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Quintana to the Cubs

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Meadows (6) is ranked higher than Jimenez (8) and Keller (38) is ranked higher than Cease (63) according to MLB.com.

Cole is also younger than Quintana. Quintana never had a year like Cole has had in 2015.

SammyKhalifa

Quintana to the Cubs

Post by SammyKhalifa »

But anyhow, it seems like for Cole we could get maybe a top-50, a top 100, and two other guys.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Quintana to the Cubs

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

52606C6C784A69606D686760010 wrote: But anyhow, it seems like for Cole we could get maybe a top-50, a top 100, and two other guys. 

I would want/hope for a Top 10 and a Top 35.
SammyKhalifa

Quintana to the Cubs

Post by SammyKhalifa »

7A71797570716A2F295E677F767171307D711E0 wrote: But anyhow, it seems like for Cole we could get maybe a top-50, a top 100, and two other guys. 

I would want/hope for a Top 10 and a Top 35. 

I guess by those numbers I was thinking more like top 10-25, and top 50-75--depending on whose list you choose to look at.
OrlandoMerced

Quintana to the Cubs

Post by OrlandoMerced »

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2 ... ts-july-7/

Weird to have these number conversations without context. What top 25 prospect would even be made available at the deadline?

Would the Pirates really want to make a trade with the Dodgers headlined by Walker Buehler? I suppose they're the best match, I'm not sure they want to press for Gleyber while he's injured.
SammyKhalifa

Quintana to the Cubs

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Just trying to get an idea of what we could reasonably expect