Bell, Frazier and the case for the Defense

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Quail

Post by Quail »

76534055494249484D45210 wrote: I mentioned in a specific thread regarding Bell a week or so ago that he was providing no value to the team this season.  The bat is good, but the glove is so atrocious that it is counteracting his offensive value.  He's been even worse in the outfield than at first.  He generally makes routine plays but he doesn't get to enough balls.  He has plenty of experience in the outfield that he should be better.  My conclusion is that he just has poor instincts and bad feet.  Those things don't get better with age and more repetitions.  I'd trade him if he could be the centerpiece for a major pitching acquisition because he's going to have to hit unbelievably well to be useful in the NL.

I think you're probably right in general about Bell having the look of a poor defensive player. If he can't bring his defense up to at least somewhat below average he's going to have to hit like Stargell to be a National League player. I'd certainly be willing to use him as a trade chip for the right return. Not sure how much value he has at the moment.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I was excited to see Polanco play. We heard all about his defense. I haven't seen it either.

I think it is just his arm. His arm is so good that he gets a high rating. But his problem is actually squeezing the ball. He just doesn't look fluid at all.

If Bell hits, no one will care. But he has to hit. With that said, I wouldn't have a problem moving him for a top pitcher. That would still leave a hole at 1B.
Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

3C373F3336372C696F182139303737763B37580 wrote: I was excited to see Polanco play. We heard all about his defense. I haven't seen it either.

I think it is just his arm. His arm is so good that he gets a high rating. But his problem is actually squeezing the ball. He just doesn't look fluid at all.

If Bell hits, no one will care. But he has to hit. With that said, I wouldn't have a problem moving him for a top pitcher. That would still leave a hole at 1B.

Bell is hitting, but I still care and so should you. He's provided no value to the team because his defense is terrible. I know you hate WAR, but every site agrees that Bell IS a hole at 1B. He's been worse than Jaso. If you don't believe the math, just look at the standings. Has Bell caused the Pirates to get more wins?
dogknot17@yahoo.co

The Standings? Kind of a stretch, right? You think his 11 starts and 90 innings in the field is the reason the Pirates started losing?

You are right, I do not like the WAR stat. There is too much emphasis on defense and base running. When Jean Segura is said to be having a better year than David Ortiz, it is a very flawed stat.

I didn't expect Bell to make an impact this year. Jaso actually wasn't that bad overall in the field. He wasn't great, but not something I worried about when he had to make a play. But no way did Jaso have a better season than Alvarez in 2015. Do you really believe that?
Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

Yes, I totally believe that. Alvarez stunk.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

6D485B4E52595253565E3A0 wrote: Yes, I totally believe that.  Alvarez stunk. 

0.4 to 0.2 must have been a huge difference for Jaso 2016 over Alvarez 2015. This year Jaso was -7.4 on defense and Alvarez was -11.7.

Don't forget that Alvarez probably had the worst defensive year of any 1B and his team still won 98 games.

WAR is a flawed stat. It's been proven over and over. There isn't really a good defensive stat to use. Bell has looked bad. In the Outfield and at 1B. But if he is hitting, he can fill the void at 1B and help the Standings in that way.
Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

I didn't say it was a huge difference. You asked if I really thought Jaso was better this year than Alvarez last year. I said yes.  You pulled up numbers that every front office and respectable media publication uses in some fashion to show that, in fact, he has been better.  The same analysis prefers Jaso to Bell this year.

By the way, I just looked and Jaso is .7 this year and Alvarez was .1 last year.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

That's my point. I don't think Jaso had a better year overall but WAR does.

There are many examples of players with better WAR but they really didn't have a better overall year.

Bell's sample size is way too small to compare him to anyone. Bell has played in 13 games.
Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

You're entitled to your opinion. Alvarez was non-tendered for a reason. It's just not one you want to accept.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

507566736F646F6E6B63070 wrote: You're entitled to your opinion.  Alvarez was non-tendered for a reason. It's just not one you want to accept. 

I accepted it. I didn't expect him back. He was also signed for more than Jaso. The Orioles could have had Jaso for cheaper. The Orioles are also very close to clinching a playoff spot.

I was also pointing out how bad Alvarez was on defense last year (like, the worst ever) yet he still didn't hurt his team. He didn't hurt his current team this year either.

In my opinion, he is a perfect example of how offense keeps guys on the field over glove guys. So, as long as Bell (and Frazier) are hitting, they will play.