Looking at Indy's Crowded Pitching Staff

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

The Pirates have a group of players at AAA this season that, in terms of quality and quantity, exceeds any team in my memory that Indianapolis has fielded. Where to begin?

The starting rotation boasts at least a half dozen worthy candidates, including 40-man members Luis Ortiz and Mike Burrows. If the Bucs don’t start their season with Johan Oviedo, they’ll be three worthy candidates ready for call-up, and that doesn’t even include prize prospect Quinn Priester! Add in up and coming talent Kyle Nicolas advancing from AA, formerly high ranked Cody Bolton, and last season’s innings eater Oswaldo Bido, and the cupboard overflows. Max Kranick is also on the 40-man, but will spend the season on the 60-day IL.

The bullpen is absolutely overstuffed with candidates. The major league log jam of mediocre right-handed relievers will have to break for Colin Holderman or Yerry De Los Santos to stay with the Bucs as a setup man. Wil Crowe, Chase De Jong, Robert Stephenson and Duane Underwood, I’m looking at you! But one of Holderman or De Los Santos will probably begin as the closer at Indy. Colin Selby has also joined the 40-man, along with trade-acquired Dauri Moreta and holdover Yohan Ramirez.

The list of candidates that could join this quartet is very long. Among the righties, Non-Roster Invitees include free agents Tyler Chatwood , an MLB veteran, and Nate Webb. Wei-Chieh Huang was selected in the Rule 5. Minor League FA Juan Minaya couldn’t even get an NRI, and has been placed at Altoona. You have to wonder what that competition means for non-NRI Indy holdovers Hunter Stratton, Blake Cederlind and John O’Reilly. Somebody’s not going to make it.

The Bucs lost a few lefties from last year’s Indy squad in the Rule 5, and set out to replenish their supply by signing four minor league free agents, all with varying degrees of MLB experience. Daniel Zamora returned to the team he started with. Former Cub Rob Zastrezny signed on, as did my favorite dark horse candidate, 6’8” ex-Brewer Angel Perdomo. Ex-Dback Caleb Smith was the last to join. If Major League Rule 5 acquisition Jose Hernandez proves to be unready for the majors, look for one of this group to be in Pittsburgh. Holdover Cam Aldred did not get an NRI and he must be looking over his shoulder.

I’ll add on to this post with the position players if there’s any interest. There’s certainly a talented, crowded field there.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Should the Pirates Use a Six Man Rotation Throughout the System
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

052F241423353539560 wrote: The Pirates have a group of players at AAA this season that, in terms of quality and quantity, exceeds any team in my memory that Indianapolis has fielded. Where to begin?

The starting rotation boasts at least a half dozen worthy candidates, including 40-man members Luis Ortiz and Mike Burrows. If the Bucs don’t start their season with Johan Oviedo, they’ll be three worthy candidates ready for call-up, and that doesn’t even include prize prospect Quinn Priester! Add in up and coming talent Kyle Nicolas advancing from AA, formerly high ranked Cody Bolton, and last season’s innings eater Oswaldo Bido, and the cupboard overflows. Max Kranick is also on the 40-man, but will spend the season on the 60-day IL.

The bullpen is absolutely overstuffed with candidates.  The major league log jam of mediocre right-handed relievers will have to break for Colin Holderman or Yerry De Los Santos to stay with the Bucs as a setup man. Wil Crowe, Chase De Jong, Robert Stephenson and Duane Underwood, I’m looking at you! But one of Holderman or De Los Santos will probably begin as the closer at Indy. Colin Selby has also joined the 40-man, along with trade-acquired Dauri Moreta and holdover Yohan Ramirez.

The list of candidates that could join this quartet is very long. Among the righties, Non-Roster Invitees include free agents Tyler Chatwood , an MLB veteran, and Nate Webb. Wei-Chieh Huang was selected in the Rule 5. Minor League FA Juan Minaya couldn’t even get an NRI, and has been placed at Altoona. You have to wonder what that competition means for non-NRI Indy holdovers Hunter Stratton, Blake Cederlind and John O’Reilly. Somebody’s not going to make it.

The Bucs lost a few lefties from last year’s Indy squad in the Rule 5, and set out to replenish their supply by signing four minor league free agents, all with varying degrees of MLB experience. Daniel Zamora returned to the team he started with. Former Cub Rob Zastrezny signed on, as did my favorite dark horse candidate, 6’8” ex-Brewer Angel Perdomo. Ex-Dback Caleb Smith was the last to join. If Major League Rule 5 acquisition Jose Hernandez proves to be unready for the majors, look for one of this group to be in Pittsburgh. Holdover Cam Aldred did not get an NRI and he must be looking over his shoulder.

I’ll add on to this post with the position players if there’s any interest. There’s certainly a talented, crowded field there.

I saw your W/L numbers Syracuse and while I can't quite get that optimistic, I will say I am pulling for you to win this year. It will take a little magic, but why not!

And the pitching depth we have at AAA has to be part of that positive vibe for you. At least I am impressed by the depth of both starters and relievers and see it as a major difference between last year and this one. A year without constant dumpster diving would be welcome and we seemed lined up not to have to do that.
GermanTownship

Post by GermanTownship »

Possum. My answer is yes.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

4664736C606F556E766F72696871010 wrote: Possum. My answer is yes.

I don't think this is a cut and dry question. Some pitchers do better on more rest. Others would rather go with less. Doc might be better suited to answer this question
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

023C3931223A3A311134233067550 wrote: Possum. My answer is yes.

I don't think this is a cut and dry question.  Some pitchers do better on more rest. Others would rather go with less. Doc might be better suited to answer this question

No, I’m not better suited because I don’t know squat but, mostly, I think it depends upon the pitcher. To me, this is an important year for the young guys to establish themselves so I’d make sure they got the most attention in preparation for the next five years or so.
CTBucco

Post by CTBucco »

How crazy would it be to use 8 guys that pitch 3-4 innings/75-80 pitches per game, piggybacked with one of the others where they pitch every 4th day?

If you have a top line starter that can regularly give you 6 good innings, you wouldn’t do this. But if you don’t and you do have several (8) guys that can through the order once or twice… Each guy would throw 120-160 innings if they lasted the full season. In many games, you’d just need a couple of late innings guys to pitch the 8th and 9th. With a staff of 13, it could work.

Just one of the many bizarre-o ideas rattling around in my noggin.