Some thoughts about the rest of the season . . .

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

RichD

Post by RichD »

I have been down on Bell but he needs another shot . I dont think the big power will ever be there but 17-20 hr is needed to go along with 35+ 2b and high avg/obp all of which I think he can do. If next year is another struggle then we should be able to put Craig in. I dont like Osuna AAAA player. Wonder if Luplow can learn 1b was a 3b in college.

Moran is Jeff King just not very aggresssive. Someone need to tell him to swing for the fence a few times per week
Osushawn

Post by Osushawn »

7D604446482D0 wrote: First, NH needs to admit to himself that it is time to move on from some of the veterans, particularly Mercer and Harrison in the middle.  He (correctly) did this once before when he traded both Jack Wilson and Freddie Sanchez even though many fans screamed.

Although I am far from enamored with Frazier's defense at second, the team may have suitable replacements on the current roster in Newman, Kramer, Frazier and the Hecheveria (Sp?) for the middle infield, and if the need arises, they could go get someone for a year to help out.   I give Newman, Kramer and Frazier the majority of the starts in the middle infield once Indy's season is over.

I believe the biggest hole on the team is first base.  Bell has provided little to nothing; no power, very substandard defense, and little regular hitting ability.  While I don't think that Osuna is a good substitute, I give him the majority of starts at first after Indy's season is over.   And, if Cervelli's future with the team is as a part-time first baseman and catcher, let him learn first base in the off-season and in spring training.  We already know what he can do at the plate (mediocre hitter who is having one of his best seasons), but we need to see if Osuna is or is not worthy of a roster spot and place on the MLB team for next year. 

In the outfield, I give Luplow some real consistent playing time in LF and RF.  Perhaps he can supply some of the power that the Pirates are missing. We also need a real 4th outfielder for next year, and may need some one to platoon with Dickerson, should the team resign him. 

I like David Freese.  At this point he is a better 3rd baseman than Moran, particularly if used in the right circumstances.  That said, the Bucs need to use Moran against all RH's and the majority of LH's.  Freese should start no more than 2 times per week.

Rodriguez needs to be relegated to a striking out role; no starts, except for the last home game of the season.

Most of the arms in the pen are now a real asset; Vasquez, Crick, Santana, Kela and Rodriguez.  The other two spots in the pen have been a mess.  Brault pitched one of his best games on Friday.  Kingham doesn't appear to have good enough stuff to be a MLB pitcher; unless he consistently hits his spots.  Although I expect really bad results, once the Indy season ends, it is time to throw the Never Man, Bosher, Holmes and anyone else who could have a role next year to the wolves.  If they don't show any promise, perhaps they don't deserve a roster spot.         

I want to think differently and I always want to see the Pirates win, but these last 35 games or so of the season should be about preparing for next year rather than fitting for a wild card spot that has sadly slipped out of sight.

That is a really good post Maine.

I'm also for not resigning Mercer and trading Harrison.

Frazier could be a big key moving forward.  He was very solid last year and has been great since the ASG.  If this is the Adam Frazier of the future, he would be a great guy to get 5 starts a week between the OF and 2nd.  He would be your de facto 4th outfield next season and ease the transition of Kramer at 2nd base.  If Kramer really struggles and needs to head back to AAA, Frazier become the 2nd baseman and Luplow is the 4th OFer.  It's sort of crazy that they traded Meadows and still have ample OFers.

I really like Hechavarria and would pay the $6-8 million to resign him.  Getting rid of S-Rod would free up that money (not that they have a money problem).  He is a great back up at middle infield positions and a solid fall back if Newman struggles next year as the starter at SS.  Hechavarria's bat has been better than I expected.

The Freese/Moran combo at third has worked out well.  Moran has the look of a good hitter, but his power did not make it out of the Houston organization.  If he could regain that power from last year and sustain the .275 average, he'd be a nice player at third.  Currently, I'm fine with he and Freese at third until Hayes gets closer.

First base looks to be a mess.  It's ironic that the Pirates have never been able to figure this position out.  There won't be any good (IMO) FA options in the offseason.  I think they have to hope that Bell figures it out in the offseason.  He looked really good last year and now looks lost this year.  Early in the season, there was a nice Inside Pirates Baseball about Bell and his work ethic.  He is very likable and a really hard worker.  I'd give him a shot to figure it out and come back next year.  There really isn't any better options and I don't think they can give up on him yet.

Absolutely fine with all of these points. No way does Cervelli see anytime at 1b though. I already have a guy there that hits for a same average and power , but much cheaper. I would certainly get Frazier in at 2b and OF as much as possible as I think his offense will only get better with more PT. Moran and Freese rotate between 3b and Freese fills in for Bell at 1b on occasion.
PMike

Post by PMike »

675C565D71350 wrote: I have been down on Bell but he needs another shot . I dont think the big power will ever be there but 17-20 hr is needed to go along with 35+ 2b and high avg/obp all of which I think he can do. If next year is another struggle then we should be able to put Craig in. I dont like Osuna AAAA player. Wonder if Luplow can learn 1b was a 3b in college.

Moran is Jeff King just not very aggresssive. Someone need to tell him to swing for the fence a few times per week

Bell has already hit 26 HRs in a season. I'd say the power is very much there. He is a really strong guy. I don't know what is wrong with his swing, but his current results aren't indicative of his power potential.
INbuc

Post by INbuc »

6C40484F4463544252210 wrote: First, NH needs to admit to himself that it is time to move on from some of the veterans, particularly Mercer and Harrison in the middle.  He (correctly) did this once before when he traded both Jack Wilson and Freddie Sanchez even though many fans screamed.

Although I am far from enamored with Frazier's defense at second, the team may have suitable replacements on the current roster in Newman, Kramer, Frazier and the Hecheveria (Sp?) for the middle infield, and if the need arises, they could go get someone for a year to help out.   I give Newman, Kramer and Frazier the majority of the starts in the middle infield once Indy's season is over.

I believe the biggest hole on the team is first base.  Bell has provided little to nothing; no power, very substandard defense, and little regular hitting ability.  While I don't think that Osuna is a good substitute, I give him the majority of starts at first after Indy's season is over.   And, if Cervelli's future with the team is as a part-time first baseman and catcher, let him learn first base in the off-season and in spring training.  We already know what he can do at the plate (mediocre hitter who is having one of his best seasons), but we need to see if Osuna is or is not worthy of a roster spot and place on the MLB team for next year. 

In the outfield, I give Luplow some real consistent playing time in LF and RF.  Perhaps he can supply some of the power that the Pirates are missing. We also need a real 4th outfielder for next year, and may need some one to platoon with Dickerson, should the team resign him. 

I like David Freese.  At this point he is a better 3rd baseman than Moran, particularly if used in the right circumstances.  That said, the Bucs need to use Moran against all RH's and the majority of LH's.  Freese should start no more than 2 times per week.

Rodriguez needs to be relegated to a striking out role; no starts, except for the last home game of the season.

Most of the arms in the pen are now a real asset; Vasquez, Crick, Santana, Kela and Rodriguez.  The other two spots in the pen have been a mess.  Brault pitched one of his best games on Friday.  Kingham doesn't appear to have good enough stuff to be a MLB pitcher; unless he consistently hits his spots.  Although I expect really bad results, once the Indy season ends, it is time to throw the Never Man, Bosher, Holmes and anyone else who could have a role next year to the wolves.  If they don't show any promise, perhaps they don't deserve a roster spot.         

I want to think differently and I always want to see the Pirates win, but these last 35 games or so of the season should be about preparing for next year rather than fitting for a wild card spot that has sadly slipped out of sight.

I am pretty much in 100% agreement with your post. I think Newman will be a very serviceable player. Though I think we need a bigger sample of Osuna I am not confident he will succeed in the end. Luplow has a track record of slow starts and huge finishes. He has easy power. Don't worry about his HR rate in Indy, which is killer on a righties...just ask Osuna. I think Luplow could be a 25 HR, .280 guy, but he needs to be afforded the consistent playing time to get adjusted. Though I don't see that happening.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

I worry about Bell. I think he is basically trained by himself and his dad. He needs someone else to work with him.

The Bucs need to find some independent hitting guru to work with Josh's swing and get him doing the same thing everytime slump or no slump. Consistency of his swing is what he needs.

As for his defense the worst part of it is his throwing motion. Got to find a pitching coach, yes pitching coach guru to work on his motion for the infield throws.
INbuc

Post by INbuc »

Bell is the position player equivalent of Nuke LaLoosh. He has tantalizing physical capabilities, but paralyzing (baseball) mental impediments---head trash.

Bell seems like an intelligent person and a great guy. But I am worried he hasn't been able to adjust. His swing looks awful and his defense is amateurish. The best hitters throughout history didn't have coaches, they suffered, tinkered, and adjusted on their own. A great hitter would NEVER allow his swing to digress to the level he is at now.

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Bell is a curious case, He showed his power last year with 26 HRs. But he began that year with a terrible swing and was batting .214 after 20 games. Then he corrected his swing and hit well after that. This year he again started off with a bad swing, corrected it, then lost it again. He seems to prioritize making contact even if it means altering his swing to hit the ball weakly. His throwing motion on plays looks like someone who's never thrown a ball before. But when they throw the ball around the infield after an out, he has a normal motion. So he's got the tools. But he's in bad need of proper coaching. And this organization doesn't seem to have a good track record in that area. I'd hate to see him moved and have another team's coaches get him straightened out. But as he currently functions, he's of little use. I just don't understand why so many Pirate players have uncorrected fundamental issues.
ScottinMass

Post by ScottinMass »

56777F567D75120 wrote: The thing about Reyes is he is sort of an S-Rod clone who is younger and can hit a good bit.  He is a MLFA at the end of the season and maybe the give him a shot to see what he can do on the MLB level before they decide what to do with his MLBFA status at season's end.
If they add Reyes to 40-man, he won't be a FA at year end. His MLB clock starts ticking when added to the 40-man. He is only a Minor League FA if he is not on the 40-man.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

44747863637E795A766464170 wrote: The thing about Reyes is he is sort of an S-Rod clone who is younger and can hit a good bit.  He is a MLFA at the end of the season and maybe the give him a shot to see what he can do on the MLB level before they decide what to do with his MLBFA status at season's end.
If they add Reyes to 40-man, he won't be a FA at year end. His MLB clock starts ticking when added to the 40-man. He is only a Minor League FA if he is not on the 40-man.

It would be easy to add him to 40 in September and let him get in a few games. Don't know if the Bucs will do it but it would give a hint as to whether they plan on keeping him.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

735F57505B7C4B5D4D3E0 wrote: First, NH needs to admit to himself that it is time to move on from some of the veterans, particularly Mercer and Harrison in the middle.  He (correctly) did this once before when he traded both Jack Wilson and Freddie Sanchez even though many fans screamed.

Good post, Mainer. One change I would like to see is Osuna getting platoon time at 3rd base with Moran. I hope they trade Freese at the deadline. Osuna's 2019 role would be redundant to Freese and Osuna has nothing left to prove at AAA.

Agree that Mercer and Harrison need to be traded or benched. Might as well see what we can get out of Newman, Kramer and Frazier needs at bats at 2nd, too.