Bell, Frazier and the case for the Defense

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

042B3C3D2B37252D4E0 wrote: Frazier had a very unusual rise through the minors.  Full time shortstop in 2014, off year with the bat and lots of errors.  Then treated as a utility guy in 2015-16, mostly in the outfield.  I'd say give him half a season to a season at Indy focusing on one position, second or maybe third. If they've already decided he just can't play the infield, I'd probably try to find someone who thinks he can and trade him to them.

I think this is a good point. He was a regular shortstop until partway through his time at Altoona. This year he played 70 innings at second for Indy and the rest of his time in the outfield.  Seems like the Bucs are not high on him as an infielder.

Moroff was their MiLB player of the year when Frazier was with the Curve. So understandable that he didn't get a lot of time at 2B. Moroff is a good fielder but doesn't have the bat that Frazier has. However, you may see them keep Moroff over Frazier should a decent trade materialize.

that is true but I think his playing time showed the Pirates didn't think much of him as an infielder. If they thought he was an ok infielder and wanted to add outfield to his skills he would have played more infield than he did. He started 64 games at Indy and only 8 were in infield (at second). Yet when promoted to Pittsburgh he got 12 starts at second and two at third.
Quail

Post by Quail »

Frazier with another error last night. He really needs to become a better defensive player.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I'm not sure that's something you can get better at. You can learn where to throw the ball in some situations, as you have more experience in those situations, but what I see from Frazier is just fundamental 'picking up the baseball and throwing it' type errors.
Quail

Post by Quail »

26243E382E4B0 wrote: I'm not sure that's something you can get better at. You can learn where to throw the ball in some situations, as you have more experience in those situations, but what I see from Frazier is just fundamental 'picking up the baseball and throwing it' type errors.

That's an interesting point. I'm trying to think of a single player that's gotten significantly better defensively while at the major league level. There have been some who've changed positions where their defensive shortcomings were less pronounced at the new position (ex.Dale Murphy moving from catcher to outfield), but I can't come up with anyone who got a lot better at the same position while playing in the major leagues. There had to be some, right?
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Harrison and Walker are two Pirates who got better over the years at second base. Jack Wilson got better and should have won a Gold Glove. Mercer got better too. Albert Pujols got better at 1B.

I think many guys get better with repetition. Moving Frazier around doesn't really help him. He is athletic. I think many players can get better and certainly more comfortable once in a position.

I didn't really understand that comment. Many players have got better and later on won Gold Gloves. Of course one can get better in fielding the ball.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

767D75797C7D662325526B737A7D7D3C717D120 wrote: Harrison and Walker are two Pirates who got better over the years at second base.  Jack Wilson got better and should have won a Gold Glove.  Mercer got better too.  Albert Pujols got better at 1B. 

I think many guys get better with repetition.  Moving Frazier around doesn't really help him.  He is athletic.  I think many players can get better and certainly more comfortable once in a position. 

I didn't really understand that comment.  Many players have got better and later on won Gold Gloves.  Of course one can get better in fielding the ball.

I agree that repetition can help and that may be the case with Walker and Harrison, Walker had played very few games at second in minors and Harrison only 180 or so.
Quail

Post by Quail »

644243544252210 wrote: Harrison and Walker are two Pirates who got better over the years at second base.  Jack Wilson got better and should have won a Gold Glove.  Mercer got better too.  Albert Pujols got better at 1B. 

I think many guys get better with repetition.  Moving Frazier around doesn't really help him.  He is athletic.  I think many players can get better and certainly more comfortable once in a position. 

I didn't really understand that comment.  Many players have got better and later on won Gold Gloves.  Of course one can get better in fielding the ball.

I agree that repetition can help and that may be the case with Walker and Harrison,  Walker had played very few games at second in minors and Harrison only 180 or so.

What I said was "significantly" better. That would be a guy who was lousy defensively when he came to the majors and became good or vice versa.

Harrison, Mercer and Wilson all arrived in the majors as guys who were known to be good glove men. Sure, each improved some as you would expect they would from gaining experience at a new level, but they all basically stayed good fielders.

Walker was an exception as he immediately started a new position when he arrived at the major league level.

A guy I'm watching closely is Polanco. He had a rep as a good defensive prospect but his play since he's been with the Pirates has been inconsistent if not erratic. Certainly not good. I haven't seen any improvement in his defense over the 2.5 seasons he's been here.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Polanco seems very lackadaisical to me. Almost like he's sure he can make every play without real effort. My sense is he has the ability to be an excellent fielder without the intensity or drive to make that extra effort. He'll still be good for the most part but not great.

I thought Walker was ranked as a good defensive third baseman in the minors. I was surprised at the switch to second, which to me seems to call for much more fluidity of motion (and sometimes even gymnastic ability), but he made the switch and was a thoroughly capable second baseman.
Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

I mentioned in a specific thread regarding Bell a week or so ago that he was providing no value to the team this season. The bat is good, but the glove is so atrocious that it is counteracting his offensive value. He's been even worse in the outfield than at first. He generally makes routine plays but he doesn't get to enough balls. He has plenty of experience in the outfield that he should be better. My conclusion is that he just has poor instincts and bad feet. Those things don't get better with age and more repetitions. I'd trade him if he could be the centerpiece for a major pitching acquisition because he's going to have to hit unbelievably well to be useful in the NL.
Quail

Post by Quail »

2C2E343224410 wrote: Polanco seems very lackadaisical to me. Almost like he's sure he can make every play without real effort. My sense is he has the ability to be an excellent fielder without the intensity or drive to make that extra effort. He'll still be good for the most part but not great.

I thought Walker was ranked as a good defensive third baseman in the minors. I was surprised at the switch to second, which to me seems to call for much more fluidity of motion (and sometimes even gymnastic ability), but he made the switch and was a thoroughly capable second baseman.

I see Polanco as more clumsy or ungainly. He seems to get in his own way a lot. He also seems to lack focus and game awareness at times. You'd think that there would have been some improvement in some of these areas along the way but I haven't seen it. At least he does have a plus arm.

I agree completely with you about Walker. His transition to second base at the major league level was pretty darn impressive.