Hoping we keep Glasnow

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

PMike

Hoping we keep Glasnow

Post by PMike »

3136273427767B420 wrote: That's nice but can he control his pitches?  I remember a certain #2 draftee pitcher who threw 100 mph but didn't know where the pitches were going.  Now Glasnow is not that bad but for all the hype he gets he still has to prove that he can get guys out consistently and go deeper into games. And he needs to work on a change up and use it a bit more.  So speed of pitches is not the only thing that matters to a pitcher.

From what Ive read , Glasnow got a bit messed up last year. Lost some velocity from his stride being off a bit. He was mostly 93-94 last year. Now coming in around 96. When you factor in his size and arm angle , it's said to add 3-4 MPH. This video is from an off season program where he recently broke the indoor record for velocity.

What was his velocity from the session?  Was it off the mound in the windup, or was it the running thing that Kopesh did in the other video linked in another thread?

It's difficult to figure that out. That 105 digital reading was the time. There were a few tweets trying to get the answer to your question. All we have is the administrator of the program saying Glasnow broke their record for MPH. I guess this is a program that has helped a lot of pitchers improve velocity. Baur from Cleveland being one.

Thanks.  I read the twitter feed, but I didn't see a definitive answer.  Though, twitter feeds can be dubious to follow.

Yeah .. I don't think the answer is there. But when you combine this with the recent articles about his stride improvement and the study that his FB looks almost +4MPH , it's encouraging.

Yes it is. Shortening the stride could do a lot for stabilizing his body at release and helping accuracy. It is probably also the precursor to the work they have to be doing out of the stretch for holding runners.
notes34

Hoping we keep Glasnow

Post by notes34 »

Keep posting these types of threads. Maybe we can convince the Sox that they don't need Meadows in a deal for Quintana! :D
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Hoping we keep Glasnow

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Did Cole make these changes too?

Cole isn't hitting 98-100 anymore. In his rookie season, he hit 100 mph more than any other starting pitcher and he came up late in the season.
steve49

Hoping we keep Glasnow

Post by steve49 »

4B5672707E1B0 wrote: That's nice but can he control his pitches?  I remember a certain #2 draftee pitcher who threw 100 mph but didn't know where the pitches were going.  Now Glasnow is not that bad but for all the hype he gets he still has to prove that he can get guys out consistently and go deeper into games. And he needs to work on a change up and use it a bit more.  So speed of pitches is not the only thing that matters to a pitcher.

From what Ive read , Glasnow got a bit messed up last year. Lost some velocity from his stride being off a bit. He was mostly 93-94 last year. Now coming in around 96. When you factor in his size and arm angle , it's said to add 3-4 MPH. This video is from an off season program where he recently broke the indoor record for velocity.

What was his velocity from the session?  Was it off the mound in the windup, or was it the running thing that Kopesh did in the other video linked in another thread?

It's difficult to figure that out. That 105 digital reading was the time. There were a few tweets trying to get the answer to your question. All we have is the administrator of the program saying Glasnow broke their record for MPH. I guess this is a program that has helped a lot of pitchers improve velocity. Baur from Cleveland being one.

Thanks.  I read the twitter feed, but I didn't see a definitive answer.  Though, twitter feeds can be dubious to follow.

Yeah .. I don't think the answer is there. But when you combine this with the recent articles about his stride improvement and the study that his FB looks almost +4MPH , it's encouraging.

Yes it is.  Shortening the stride could do a lot for stabilizing his body at release and helping accuracy.  It is probably also the precursor to the work they have to be doing out of the stretch for holding runners.

Actually I read Glasnow saying that he was struggling last year with his velocity and bite on his curve for most of the year. He met a bit with Cole and Cole gave him the idea his stride may have gotten a bit long. He claims he adjusted a bit and went from 93-94 to 95-96 almost immediately. I may have read that in Pirate prospects. Did you see it ? But Yeah , you would think a shorter stride would also help with the things you mention.
steve49

Hoping we keep Glasnow

Post by steve49 »

505B535F5A5B400503744D555C5B5B1A575B340 wrote: Did Cole make these changes too? 

Cole isn't hitting 98-100 anymore.  In his rookie season, he hit 100 mph more than any other starting pitcher and he came up late in the season.

I think Cole pitched through injuries last year and starting pitchers that hit 100 don't seem to hold that through the years.
steve49

Hoping we keep Glasnow

Post by steve49 »

61607B6A7C3C3B0F0 wrote: Keep posting these types of threads. Maybe we can convince the Sox that they don't need Meadows in a deal for Quintana! :D

I will ....but I lean toward not giving up 2 top prospects (seems to be minimum cost ?) for a guy that throws 90 MPH. I know he's a nice pitcher with a great contract but just my gut feeling on that trade.
SammyKhalifa

Hoping we keep Glasnow

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I have no idea how fast he threw, or how impressive it REALLY is . . . but that is one cool looking video!
CTBucco

Hoping we keep Glasnow

Post by CTBucco »

0D2C240D262E490 wrote: That's nice but can he control his pitches?  I remember a certain #2 draftee pitcher who threw 100 mph but didn't know where the pitches were going.  Now Glasnow is not that bad but for all the hype he gets he still has to prove that he can get guys out consistently and go deeper into games. And he needs to work on a change up and use it a bit more.  So speed of pitches is not the only thing that matters to a pitcher.

There's no doubt that he has to improve his command. I see Randy Johnson as a comp for Tyler - big, tall guy with a long, inconsistent delivery. Look at RJ's BB/9 for his first four full years in MLB - 5.38, 4.92, 6.76, and 6.16. The next year, his BB/9 dropped to 3.49 and was lower for every year but one the rest of his career.

Glasnow's not RJ, but I think his upside could be that good. His minor league stats are better than RJ's at younger ages. He'll take some time to develop. It's just like big guys in basketball. They take longer to "grow into their bodies".

I forget who has been making the point about signing Glasnow through his arb years and into free agency a year or two. It's a good point. He is more likely to take it. It's a gamble, but the Bucs need to grow an ace. He could be it - though probably not until 2020 or so.
DemDog

Hoping we keep Glasnow

Post by DemDog »

1B0C1A2D3B3B37580 wrote: That's nice but can he control his pitches?  I remember a certain #2 draftee pitcher who threw 100 mph but didn't know where the pitches were going.  Now Glasnow is not that bad but for all the hype he gets he still has to prove that he can get guys out consistently and go deeper into games. And he needs to work on a change up and use it a bit more.  So speed of pitches is not the only thing that matters to a pitcher.

There's no doubt that he has to improve his command.  I see Randy Johnson as a comp for Tyler - big, tall guy with a long, inconsistent delivery.  Look at RJ's BB/9 for his first four full years in MLB - 5.38, 4.92, 6.76, and 6.16.  The next year, his BB/9 dropped to 3.49 and was lower for every year but one the rest of his career.

Glasnow's not RJ, but I think his upside could be that good.  His minor league stats are better than RJ's at younger ages.  He'll take some time to develop.  It's just like big guys in basketball.  They take longer to "grow into their bodies".

I forget who has been making the point about signing Glasnow through his arb years and into free agency a year or two.  It's a good point.  He is more likely to take it.  It's a gamble, but the Bucs need to grow an ace.  He could be it - though probably not until 2020 or so.

I'd settle for him being a Randy Johnson in RJ's top form for 4-5 years with the Bucs and then we trade him off for a Buccos ransom like the ChiSox did with Sale. How's that?