Season Prediction thread! ;)

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

If MLB were to remake the entire schedule for this season, I'd love to see the elimination of the Interleague games. Those games just screw-up the schedule anyway, and interest in them has run its course. I mean, who stays up late waiting for that epic Twins/Padres showdown? I'd also like to see more of an emphasis placed on Division games, perhaps as many as 20 played against each team.

I wouldn't think the owners want the schedule remade, however. Travel plans, hotel stays, etc, have already been arranged. It wouldn't be impossible, though.

In exchange for scheduling doubleheaders on, say, every other Sunday (that would make-up 13 lost days), owners could expand rosters to 30 players just for the second game on those days.

Most important, I think the owners want the playoffs to start no later than they're currently scheduled because of the weather. I would think they'll start with the last possible date for Game 7 of the Series and then work backwards to determine the latest date to start the season.
shedman

Post by shedman »

My question is "If the season is shortened to 140 games, will Nutting pro-rate the players salaries down to that percentage?"
NewMexicoLobo

Post by NewMexicoLobo »

How do you begin to rework the schedule to handle something like what's happened? Do you scale down inter-league play? Do you shorten 4-game series' to be three? When to you get started again, with spring training going away for now?
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

7F40595C545B7F544C350 wrote: so many on the board are convinced the bucs will be terrible that makes me wonder how people would feel if the whole season was canceled...JMO...better mediocre even really bad BB rather than no games...would be like no summer...wah

I hope this virus goes away quickly and life can go back to normal.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Another question? What if the entire season goes away? Do the players still get paid, does that mean Scott Borras doesn't get paid either? What about accruing days of MLB service time?

Finally, what if the season gets a late start, will Pennies still pay the hourly workers at PNC for lost time away from the games?
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

1E35271D352839333F1C3F323F500 wrote: How do you begin to rework the schedule to handle something like what's happened? Do you scale down inter-league play? Do you shorten 4-game series' to be three? When to you get started again, with spring training going away for now?

With all of the brainiacs working in Major League baseball now, I would think any number of schedules could be devised. They just need to be fair and pick the best one.

The easiest, but not the fairest, thing to do is simply start the season on an agreed upon date and use the current schedule.  Not all the teams will play the same number of games, however, and some teams will have played a more advantageous schedule when completed.  I hope they don't do this.

Another way would be to start the season on, say, May 1 with each team playing the same number of games.  Play a 140-game schedule with 80 games against divisional opponents (20 games against each) and 60 games against the other 10 teams within the League.  Eliminate Interleague play.  It's fair and emphasizes divisional games.
PMike

Post by PMike »

I really doubt the schedule is changed. Games may be eliminated, but they aren't going to move dates. Many people (like us) have created future plans and vacations around the baseball schedule. It would be very unfair to change the July/August/Sept. schedules.
NewMexicoLobo

Post by NewMexicoLobo »

4C517577791C0 wrote: I really doubt the schedule is changed.  Games may be eliminated, but they aren't going to move dates.  Many people (like us) have created future plans and vacations around the baseball schedule.  It would be very unfair to change the July/August/Sept. schedules.
Makes sense.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Changing the schedule would basically nullify season ticket and advanced sales. Fans could have tickets for games when a new schedule has an off day or the team is away instead of home. Not to mention against different opponents from what the fans expected to see when the tickets were bought. I think they would have to use the existing schedule from whatever point games were resumed.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

Well, at least two good things might come of this virus...we'll all have to suffer a little less bad Pirates baseball (if you can call it that), and 95-100 Ls, rather than my estimate of 110 or so, should secure the #1 pick next year, who will probably be Kumar Rocker with one less year of wear and tear on his arm.