Reynolds And Bucs Avoid Arbitration

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

7A76772C252C24292E312B1C0 wrote: Glad to see this worked out early in the season. They can go on from here.  Good for all involved.
I agree with you, an arbitration hearing would have strained the relationship between Reynolds, his agent and the Pirates. I have to believe Jason Mackey when he reported late last week that Bob Nutting was not pleased with the Pirates going to arbitration with Reynolds.

The reason Bob Nutting wasn’t pleased was because the criticism of him was overwhelming and too much even for him to bear. I’ll never believe anything Nutting says.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

0254425659435358554270575D51595C1E53300 wrote: Glad to see this worked out early in the season. They can go on from here.  Good for all involved.
I agree with you, an arbitration hearing would have strained the relationship between Reynolds, his agent and the Pirates. I have to believe Jason Mackey when he reported late last week that Bob Nutting was not pleased with the Pirates going to arbitration with Reynolds.

The reason Bob Nutting wasn’t pleased was because the criticism of him was overwhelming and too much even for him to bear.  I’ll never believe anything Nutting says.

You might be right about the criticism Nutting received, but if that was the reason it was time for all the negative noise from the fans.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

It doesn't matter to me one bit what motivated Nutting to make this move. He obviously did it for PR reasons. So what? We know his ways. He's still BOB.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

I offer a couple of comments on the contract and the lack of a longer term deal.

1) It is great that both side avoided the 'overly nasty' arbitration process.

2) Like the Hayes deal, the Bucs agree to pay Reynolds more this year when they clearly have room in their pathetically low team payroll, and manage to fix their costs for next year and avoid needing to pay a much greater amount in 2023 if Reynolds (hopefully) has another big year.

3) While it would have been good to see a longer term deal, this approach clearly allows Reynolds to capitalize on future contracts if he continues to produce like last year. I can see why Reynolds and his agent may have rejected overtures on a longer term deal, particularly if they thought the Pirates were low-balling them.

4) The 2 year approach could also work well for the Pirates. The 2022 season is largely an experiment to see if any of the current pitchers can have a role on the pitching staff for 2023 and beyond. And, hopefully, by mid-season 2023, the starting line-up also includes a bevy of the team's better prospects (Gonzalez - 2nd, Peguro - SS, Cruz - LF or RF, Frazier - LF or RF, and maybe even Davis behind the plate, although I think that would be a push) with Hayes and Reynolds as the anchors. As such, a 2 year deal with Reynolds gives management an opportunity to see if the team's minor league players are transitioning to the majors as anticipated (hoped), and if they are, the Bucs would still be able to pay Reynolds a big salary in 2024 through arbitration because so many other players on the team will just be starting out and earning little.

5) And, if too many of the players in the minors turn out to be duds or simply average, the Bucs can then look at dealing Reynolds (who a team still can control through 2024 and 2025) for prospects to start the next hope of a rebuild.

Lastly, I am hoping that the resolution of his salary for this year and next, and the fact that he now has an additional $2 mil or so this year to buy more ice cream or whatever drives him, will better allow him to concentrate on his on-field play rather than thinking about his salary. Great to see that Reynolds, at least today, remains a Pirate.
ChillinStation

Post by ChillinStation »

Pirates own his prime years up to age 30.

No real need to sign him past that, by then they will be rebuilding again. ;D
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Still building.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

1E3534313134330E293C293432335D0 wrote: Pirates own his prime years up to age 30.

No real need to sign him past that, by then they will be rebuilding again. ;D

Both the Reynolds and Hayes contracts favor the Pirates because of the ages of the two players.  The team’s strategy for sometime now has been to keep guys in the minor leagues until they’re in their mid-20s so that they control the players during their prime years at the lowest cost possible.  It’s the baseball business the Nutting way.