Nutting just called you and you’re the new GM...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

gileszee

Post by gileszee »

As new GM, I will look at other 'small' market clubs and see how they are succeeding. Follow their plan if you will. Tampa comes to mind, Oakland comes to mind...St Louis does not count.

Fire Hurdle and most of the ML staff and start fresh.

See if our scouting department is aligned with our ML vision. We need to outbid the Yankees and Dodgers from an international prospect perspective. We can't compete in the US FA market, but we need to dominate the Int'l market.

Fundamentals will dictate whether you become a ML'er for the Pittsburgh Pirates. Tired of all of the mental mistakes (base-running, route running in the OF, forgetting how many outs there are, not able to throw to a base (Josh Bell), etc.

Implement the plan.

As a side note, I hope that at some point that MLBPA requests in the next collective bargaining agreement that all teams need to spend at an agreed upon floor.

That way Scrooge McNutting will have to decide if he wants to retain being owner. It kind of forces his hand to spend the money or sell. I pull for the later.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

180521232D480 wrote: I'm all in for trading Vazquez.  I find myself checking my phone regularly to see if they've traded him.  IMO, his value will never be higher.  He will never be pitching this well leading into a prime trading moment.  You've got a team in the Dodgers who are dying to have him and have great prospects.  He is signed for years to come at a position that should be a non-priority for smaller market teams.  He has played in 4.6% of the Pirates innings this year.  If he can be flipped for a top catching prospect and two other top prospect (one of which is a starting pitcher) I will be thrilled.

After that, I'd trade the ending contract folks for whatever I can get to replenish the system.  I'm looking for low level, high upside guys like O'Neil Cruz (from the Watson trade).  When I trade Cabrera, I'm telling him that I want to sign him again next year.

I'm only trading Marte if someone blows me away.

Bell is off limits because I'm not sure someone will give as much as he could be worth.  Same for Polanco.  And to be clear, I'm not putting Bell and Polanco in the same category.

I consider trading one of Frazier/Kramer/Tucker.  I would probably add one of them in the Vazquez trade to get a bigger return (and more of what you need).  At this point, it is clear that Newman is the SS of the future.  Frazier can be the 2nd basemen for the next year to two.  Or Kramer could be the 2nd baseman for a long time.  They have a surplus here that could be used to get big prospects.  For example, allegedly the Dodgers trade is being held up because the Pirates want Lux (power hitting middle infielder).  Maybe the Pirates give Tucker with Vazquez.  Then they could get back one of the catchers, Lux, Urias, and another top pitching prospect (May).

I think we are at the point where trading Vazquez is a must. I also agree that the return, especially from the Dodgers, is not going to get better. Their last WC was 1988. Vazquez is the piece that really puts them in the lead to grab a title this year -- and their fans a pretty desperate to see it happen.

Two weeks ago I wouldn't have said to trade him. But there's no "window" in 2020 unless we do something more drastic than what seems to be the current plan. I think we look good at SS, and a high prospect C would be nice, but I'm getting as many starting pitchers as I can from them.
gileszee

Post by gileszee »

Rumors are swirling that any deal must include the Dodgers #1 prospect Lux, a SS/2B type. Dodgers are reluctant.

Time will tell if NH is asking high initially as part of the negotiation process and settles for Ruiz and May ultimately?

Should be interesting...it beats watching the actual club play ball.
CTBucco

Post by CTBucco »

091430323C590 wrote: I'm all in for trading Vazquez.  I find myself checking my phone regularly to see if they've traded him.  IMO, his value will never be higher. 

I consider trading one of Frazier/Kramer/Tucker.  I would probably add one of them in the Vazquez trade to get a bigger return (and more of what you need).  At this point, it is clear that Newman is the SS of the future.  Frazier can be the 2nd basemen for the next year to two.  Or Kramer could be the 2nd baseman for a long time.  They have a surplus here that could be used to get big prospects.  For example, allegedly the Dodgers trade is being held up because the Pirates want Lux (power hitting middle infielder).  Maybe the Pirates give Tucker with Vazquez.  Then they could get back one of the catchers, Lux, Urias, and another top pitching prospect (May).

I agree with most of your post PMike. I'm especially on board with the idea of adding one of MiF prospects/players from Frazier, Newman, and Tucker if it could get us Lux in a Vazquez trade with the LAD. Ideally Frazier. I think Lux ends up at 2B defensively, so which one Newman or Tucker I'd trade depends on which we believe is the better SS option going forward. I like what we've seen of Newman at SS and his bat so far, but worry that his dependency on high BA and lack of power makes gives him a lower ceiling than Tucker. And Tucker's D is supposed to be better. In that case, I'd send Newman with Felipe to LA to get back a package of Lux, Smith, and May. That gives us a power bat in Lux in the MiF, a very good C prospect, and an excellent MLB-ready (or nearly) P.

For 2020 and beyond, we'll need more SP help and probably an OFer (Cruz might be arriving to fill one OF spot).
CTBucco

Post by CTBucco »

6176605741414D220 wrote: I'm all in for trading Vazquez.  I find myself checking my phone regularly to see if they've traded him.  IMO, his value will never be higher. 

I agree with most of your post PMike.  I'm especially on board with the idea of adding one of MiF prospects/players from Frazier, Newman, and Tucker if it could get us Lux in a Vazquez trade with the LAD.  Ideally Frazier.  I think Lux ends up at 2B defensively, so which one Newman or Tucker I'd trade depends on which we believe is the better SS option going forward.  I like what we've seen of Newman at SS and his bat so far, but worry that his dependency on high BA and lack of power makes gives him a lower ceiling than Tucker.  And Tucker's D is supposed to be better.  In that case, I'd send Newman with Felipe to LA to get back a package of Lux, Smith, and May.  That gives us a power bat in Lux in the MiF, a very good C prospect, and an excellent MLB-ready (or nearly) P. 

For 2020 and beyond, we'll need more SP help and probably an OFer (Cruz might be arriving to fill one OF spot).

And I don't think it's necessary to get Lux back. We get an incremental improvement - maybe a large one - at 2B. That said, we have bigger holes to fill at C, OF, and especially SP. That's why I'd kick in Newman, Frazier, or Tucker. To increase the chances of getting Smith and May in the deal. Otherwise, I'd trade Felipe alone for Smith, May, and a lower level, high ceiling SP prospect.
iabucco

Post by iabucco »

I saw Lux play in Des Moines last week(actually two weeks ago).  He hit two BOMBS, one to center and one to right.  Didn't notice much else about him other than the hitting.  Also, got to see our old friend Connor Joe play first base. 
PMike

Post by PMike »

6275635442424E210 wrote: I'm all in for trading Vazquez.  I find myself checking my phone regularly to see if they've traded him.  IMO, his value will never be higher. 

I agree with most of your post PMike.  I'm especially on board with the idea of adding one of MiF prospects/players from Frazier, Newman, and Tucker if it could get us Lux in a Vazquez trade with the LAD.  Ideally Frazier.  I think Lux ends up at 2B defensively, so which one Newman or Tucker I'd trade depends on which we believe is the better SS option going forward.  I like what we've seen of Newman at SS and his bat so far, but worry that his dependency on high BA and lack of power makes gives him a lower ceiling than Tucker.  And Tucker's D is supposed to be better.  In that case, I'd send Newman with Felipe to LA to get back a package of Lux, Smith, and May.  That gives us a power bat in Lux in the MiF, a very good C prospect, and an excellent MLB-ready (or nearly) P. 

And I don't think it's necessary to get Lux back.  We get an incremental improvement - maybe a large one - at 2B.  That said, we have bigger holes to fill at C, OF, and especially SP.  That's why I'd kick in Newman, Frazier, or Tucker.  To increase the chances of getting Smith and May in the deal.  Otherwise, I'd trade Felipe alone for Smith, May, and a lower level, high ceiling SP prospect. 

I’d also love to see them fit Jose Urias into a trade. He’s stuck in their bullpen at the moment. He could be a buy low guy, especially if they need to free up a spot for Vazquez.