Pirates vs Brewers 5/31

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Pirates vs Brewers 5/31

Post by Bobster21 »

The 9 run attack overshadowed Archer giving up 4 runs in 7 innings (ERA of 5.14 for the game) including a HR to Aguilar hitting .189 and a 3-run HR to Hiura. At least he got thru 7 innings on just 92 pitches. But if the Bucs had lost that game 4-3 there wouldn't be much praise for Archer.

Lots of contributions from the offense. Newman continues to look good with a great play at SS on the first play of the game and 2 more hits (.341 BA, .398 OBP).

The Newman situation casts doubt on NH's ability to assess his own players. A lot was expected when Newman was drafted in the 1st round and appeared to be the SS of the future. Then NH decided his #1 pick wasn't up to the job, should become a utility player, and traded for Gonzalez---who Cleveland considered no more than a utility player---to start at SS. It seemed like a minor deal of marginal players. But it now appears Luplow, with 7 HRs in 90 ABs, might have been undervalued, Gonzalez, who doesn't hit and was erratic in the field in ST was overvalued, and Newman appears to be more than ready to start at SS despite NH's lack of faith that prompted the trade for Gonzalez. On the heels of the Meadows, Glasnow and Baz for Archer deal, it doesn't inspire confidence in NH.
SteadyFreddy

Pirates vs Brewers 5/31

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Yea it was a small step for Archer being able to go 7 innings on just over 90 pitches. He did give up the 3 run homer after being up 7-1 but was able to at least shut things down his last 3 innings and not let the Brewers get any closer. So back to .500 again at 28-28 and still just 3.5 games out of 1st place and 1.5 out of a 2nd wildcard spot on June 1st. Given all the injuries this team has had its mind boggling they are where they are now on June 1st.
PMike

Pirates vs Brewers 5/31

Post by PMike »

735E53424554430300310 wrote: The 9 run attack overshadowed Archer giving up 4 runs in 7 innings (ERA of 5.14 for the game) including a HR to Aguilar hitting .189 and a 3-run HR to Hiura. At least he got thru 7 innings on just 92 pitches. But if the Bucs had lost that game 4-3 there wouldn't be much praise for Archer.

Lots of contributions from the offense. Newman continues to look good with a great play at SS on the first play of the game and 2 more hits (.341 BA, .398 OBP).

The Newman situation casts doubt on NH's ability to assess his own players. A lot was expected when Newman was drafted in the 1st round and appeared to be the SS of the future. Then NH decided his #1 pick wasn't up to the job, should become a utility player, and traded for Gonzalez---who Cleveland considered no more than a utility player---to start at SS. It seemed like a minor deal of marginal players. But it now appears Luplow, with 7 HRs in 90 ABs, might have been undervalued, Gonzalez, who doesn't hit and was erratic in the field in ST was overvalued, and Newman appears to be more than ready to start at SS despite NH's lack of faith that prompted the trade for Gonzalez. On the heels of the Meadows, Glasnow and Baz for Archer deal, it doesn't inspire confidence in NH.

I have no idea what NH was thinking with the Gonzalez, but I see it another way. First of all, I don't think they thought super highly of Moroff or Luplow. And, Luplow didn't have a place here in the OF. They have too many OFers at the moment. Secondly, Gonzalez was cheap and a good stopgap. If he did fantastic, they keep or trade him. If he has just average, he wouldn't be blocking Newman. I think the fanbase wrote Newman off when he struggled last fall. I think the fanbase thought that he was still written off when they got Gonzalez and let him start with Newman on the bench. I think you could argue that they wanted to ease Newman into a starting role (esp. after last fall). You could argue that they traded Luplow and Moroff simply to protect the asset they had in Newman (and Tucker). The injury made it not work out like that. And now Newman looks good and Tucker looks like he has lots of potential.
Bobster21

Pirates vs Brewers 5/31

Post by Bobster21 »

6E7357555B3E0 wrote: The 9 run attack overshadowed Archer giving up 4 runs in 7 innings (ERA of 5.14 for the game) including a HR to Aguilar hitting .189 and a 3-run HR to Hiura. At least he got thru 7 innings on just 92 pitches. But if the Bucs had lost that game 4-3 there wouldn't be much praise for Archer.

I have no idea what NH was thinking with the Gonzalez, but I see it another way.  First of all, I don't think they thought super highly of Moroff or Luplow.  And, Luplow didn't have a place here in the OF.  They have too many OFers at the moment.  Secondly, Gonzalez was cheap and a good stopgap.  If he did fantastic, they keep or trade him.  If he has just average, he wouldn't be blocking Newman.  I think the fanbase wrote Newman off when he struggled last fall.  I think the fanbase thought that he was still written off when they got Gonzalez and let him start with Newman on the bench.  I think you could argue that they wanted to ease Newman into a starting role (esp. after last fall).  You could argue that they traded Luplow and Moroff simply to protect the asset they had in Newman (and Tucker).  The injury made it not work out like that.  And now Newman looks good and Tucker looks like he has lots of potential.
I agree that they didn't value Luplow or Moroff much. And I don't think Cleveland valued Gonzalez much. Cleveland even added 2 very young pitchers to the deal, suggesting that Gonzalez wasn't enough compensation in the deal. But Luplow's performance in Cleveland suggests the Pirates undervalued him. I also agree that Gonzalez was a stopgap...for Tucker. The Pirates had Newman play multiple INF and OF positions in ST and since the season began in an effort to convert him to a utility player. That doesn't seem like he was being groomed any longer as the SS of the future, especially with Tucker expected to spend the year at AAA (that changed due to injuries) and on target to be the Bucs' SS in 2020. But now it looks like they believe Newman is a capable SS and an asset hitting which, had they thought so in the winter, they wouldn't have needed to trade for Gonzalez and might have also gotten a more useful player for Luplow (rather than a SS they didn't need after all). As fans we can say this is all 20/20 hindsight but it's NH's job to properly evaluate his players.