Tim Neverett Loses Job To Experiment

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

02303C3C281A39303D383730510 wrote: Wow, this sounds stupid.

very stupid.

I found it surprising further down in the article about the numbers listening to NBA and NHL games on radio. Is says it is in the hundreds.

I used to follow the Pens on the radio (worked as a janitor in evening at the time). That was when few games were televised. It was exciting to listen too. Now I don't listen to any games on radio (partially because of where I live). If I was still in Pittsburgh area I would listen on radio. Used to love to go fishing and listen to the Bucs in the evening.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

5D7B7A6D7B6B180 wrote: Wow, this sounds stupid.

very stupid.

I found it surprising further down in the article about the numbers listening to NBA and NHL games on radio.  Is says it is in the hundreds.

I used to follow the Pens on the radio (worked as a janitor in evening at the time).  That was when few games were televised.  It was exciting to listen too.  Now I don't listen to any games on radio (partially because of where I live).  If I was still in Pittsburgh area I would listen on radio.  Used to love to go fishing and listen to the Bucs in the evening.
I have a 20-year-old portable Sony radio sitting on my living room table as we seek (aluminum foil on the antenna and all). I use it for almost all the Pirates games. Fishing and camping with it are the best. It gets TV bands too, but I'm assuming those no longer work.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

5A6864647042616865606F68090 wrote: Wow, this sounds stupid.

very stupid.

I found it surprising further down in the article about the numbers listening to NBA and NHL games on radio.  Is says it is in the hundreds.

I used to follow the Pens on the radio (worked as a janitor in evening at the time).  That was when few games were televised.  It was exciting to listen too.  Now I don't listen to any games on radio (partially because of where I live).  If I was still in Pittsburgh area I would listen on radio.  Used to love to go fishing and listen to the Bucs in the evening.
I have a 20-year-old portable Sony radio sitting on my living room table as we seek (aluminum foil on the antenna and all).  I use it for almost all the Pirates games.  Fishing and camping with it are the best.  It gets TV bands too, but I'm assuming those no longer work. 

Sammy, love the aluminum foil trick. Been there and done that and how great it is to remember that stuff.

As for the Pens on the radio, I used to be a Pens Season Tix holder and loved to listen to Mike Lange do the radio-tv simulcast. Now there is a voice for all ages doing hockey on radio and or tv. Only better was late Foster Hewitt from Hockey Night in Canada. Lange in my lifetime is comparable to Bob "The Gunner" Prince.
Quail

Post by Quail »

7C5D557C575F380 wrote: Wow, this sounds stupid.

very stupid.

I have a 20-year-old portable Sony radio sitting on my living room table as we seek (aluminum foil on the antenna and all).  I use it for almost all the Pirates games.  Fishing and camping with it are the best.  It gets TV bands too, but I'm assuming those no longer work. 

Sammy, love the aluminum foil trick.  Been there and done that and how great it is to remember that stuff.

As for the Pens on the radio, I used to be a Pens Season Tix holder and loved to listen to Mike Lange do the radio-tv simulcast.  Now there is a voice for all ages doing hockey on radio and or tv.  Only better was late Foster Hewitt from Hockey Night in Canada.  Lange in my lifetime is comparable to Bob "The Gunner" Prince.

I'm with you Possum! My wife and I never miss a radio broadcast with Mike Lange. These days he only does the play-by-play for home games (with a few exceptions), but we treasure every game that we get to hear Mr Lange. When I was younger and more foolish, I took Bob Prince for granted; I assumed he'd be doing Pirate games forever. When he was let go I was crushed. Lesson learned. I won't make that mistake again.

BTW- It's a hockey night in Pittsburgh tonight, so you can catch Mike on the radio broadcast at 7 PM.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

7256424A4F230 wrote: Wow, this sounds stupid.

very stupid.

Sammy, love the aluminum foil trick.  Been there and done that and how great it is to remember that stuff.

As for the Pens on the radio, I used to be a Pens Season Tix holder and loved to listen to Mike Lange do the radio-tv simulcast.  Now there is a voice for all ages doing hockey on radio and or tv.  Only better was late Foster Hewitt from Hockey Night in Canada.  Lange in my lifetime is comparable to Bob "The Gunner" Prince.

I'm with you Possum! My wife and I never miss a radio broadcast with Mike Lange. These days he only does the play-by-play for home games (with a few exceptions), but we treasure every game that we get to hear Mr Lange. When I was younger and more foolish, I took Bob Prince for granted; I assumed he'd be doing Pirate games forever. When he was let go I was crushed. Lesson learned. I won't make that mistake again.

BTW- It's a hockey night in Pittsburgh tonight, so you can catch Mike on the radio broadcast at 7 PM.

Yeah, I have a bad feeling this season is Mike Lange's "phasing out" year with him only doing home games. We might see him retiring altogether this off-season.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

--The Dodgers announce that Tim Neverett will join their broadcast team. He'll fill in on SportsNet LA during Joe Davis' national assignments, and on AM-570 for Charley Steiner, "who requested to cut back on his broadcast schedule."