Giants@Pirates 4/21 Game Thread...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

073A3D273A3D530 wrote: Kang just died between 3rd and home. 

I was wondering why Clint did pinch run for Kang when there was two outs.

It makes more sense to pr for Cervelli with one out.

Hindsight 20/20

I was looking for Reye to run for Cervelli. But with Reyes being the only option to run the bases and with only 1 out I could still see some sense in holding onto Reyes. But with 2 outs and Kang still on 1st I thought Reyes would be automatic.

I heard Clint after the game when the question was asked about Reyes not running for Kang: If I heard him correctly, putting Reyes on 1st could have forced a situation where a pitcher would have had to bat If the bases were to be loaded. I think the thought was, SF would intentionally load the bases.

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Didn’t really like Clint’s explanation of why he chose not to run Reyes for Kang in the 9th. It sounded like he was overthinking the entire situation. So but overall I’m pleased with winning 2 of 3 this weekend and seeing guys like Tucker and Reynolds appear as if they can fill in and start on a regular basis.
Tintin

Post by Tintin »

1C3B2A2E2B36093D2A2B2B364F0 wrote: Didn’t really like Clint’s explanation of why he chose not to run Reyes for Kang in the 9th. It sounded like he was overthinking the entire situation. So but overall I’m pleased with winning 2 of 3 this weekend and seeing guys like Tucker and Reynolds appear as if they can fill in and start on a regular basis.

This was a Hong site 20/20 situation. No one on any social media I follow called for Kang to be pinch run for until he was thrown out at home.

I don’t blame Cora, because he sent him on the wierd bounce. Sometime you tip your cap.

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I mean the Giants made a great play to throw Kang out. I had no problem with Cora being aggressive waiving Kang home. They took a shot and it didn’t work out even though Kang ran about as slow as someone could run it was pathetic.  I just didn’t like Clint saying they couldn’t use Reyes to pinch run because he planned on pinch hitting Diaz for Martin next. Then don’t pinch hit Diaz in that situation and let Martin hit and then you could have used Diaz to bat after Martin instead of Reyes or a pitcher. Sometimes you can’t overthink stuff and that’s what I felt Hurdle did in that situation. Why is Reyes on the team then if he is not gonna pinch run in those situations then why is he up here?? He doesn’t start over other guys now with injuries so I don’t know I just didn’t think it was the right move. I thought Hurdle just assumed way too and lived in his fears at that moment.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

This doesn't deserve a thread but I keep watching it and thought people here might appreciate it too, if they don't get TV and sports center like I don't.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1120062497396969472

It's the crazy As double play.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

0F28393D38251A2E393838255C0 wrote: I mean the Giants made a great play to throw Kang out. I had no problem with Cora being aggressive waiving Kang home. They took a shot and it didn’t work out even though Kang ran about as slow as someone could run it was pathetic.  I just didn’t like Clint saying they couldn’t use Reyes to pinch run because he planned on pinch hitting Diaz for Martin next. Then don’t pinch hit Diaz in that situation and let Martin hit and then you could have used Diaz to bat after Martin instead of Reyes or a pitcher. Sometimes you can’t overthink stuff and that’s what I felt Hurdle did in that situation. Why is Reyes on the team then if he is not gonna pinch run in those situations then why is he up here?? He doesn’t start over other guys now with injuries so I don’t know I just didn’t think it was the right move. I thought Hurdle just assumed way too and lived in his fears at that moment.

Yeah, I don't its a 20/20 hindsight matter at all.  As soon as Cervelli was standing on first I was thinking pinch runner all the way. I was thinking for Reyes to try to get in scoring position any possible way.  With two outs and Kang on 1st I thought it was obvious.  when I heard Clint's explanation I accepted it and took for granted I was wrong.  But after thinking about it, his explanation doesn't add up in my head:

The batting order with Kang on 1st: Reynolds and then Martin.   So, wouldn't Diaz pinch hit for the pitcher if the bases were loaded?  What am I missing here????
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

595E48404E591E126B4C464A4247054844462B0 wrote: I mean the Giants made a great play to throw Kang out. I had no problem with Cora being aggressive waiving Kang home. They took a shot and it didn’t work out even though Kang ran about as slow as someone could run it was pathetic.  I just didn’t like Clint saying they couldn’t use Reyes to pinch run because he planned on pinch hitting Diaz for Martin next. Then don’t pinch hit Diaz in that situation and let Martin hit and then you could have used Diaz to bat after Martin instead of Reyes or a pitcher. Sometimes you can’t overthink stuff and that’s what I felt Hurdle did in that situation. Why is Reyes on the team then if he is not gonna pinch run in those situations then why is he up here?? He doesn’t start over other guys now with injuries so I don’t know I just didn’t think it was the right move. I thought Hurdle just assumed way too and lived in his fears at that moment.

Yeah, I don't its a 20/20 hindsight matter at all.  As soon as Cervelli was standing on first I was thinking pinch runner all the way. I was thinking for Reyes to try to get in scoring position any possible way.  With two outs and Kang on 1st I thought it was obvious.  when I heard Clint's explanation I accepted it and took for granted I was wrong.  But after thinking about it, his explanation doesn't add up in my head:

The batting order with Kang on 1st: Reynolds and then Martin.   So, wouldn't Diaz pinch hit for the pitcher if the bases were loaded?  What am I missing here????

There are different ways to look at it. The logical move would have been to PR Reyes for Cervelli. But assuming such a move would not have altered history, Kang's ground ball would have forced Reyes at 2B rather than Cervelli. So Kang would still have been the runner out at the plate. But having failed to PR for Cervelli, Hurdle, by dodging that bullet, could then have PR Reyes for Kang. But it just seems Hurdle was hoping to get by without making the best move he could make.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

6661777F7166212D547379757D783A777B79140 wrote: I mean the Giants made a great play to throw Kang out. I had no problem with Cora being aggressive waiving Kang home. They took a shot and it didn’t work out even though Kang ran about as slow as someone could run it was pathetic.  I just didn’t like Clint saying they couldn’t use Reyes to pinch run because he planned on pinch hitting Diaz for Martin next. Then don’t pinch hit Diaz in that situation and let Martin hit and then you could have used Diaz to bat after Martin instead of Reyes or a pitcher. Sometimes you can’t overthink stuff and that’s what I felt Hurdle did in that situation. Why is Reyes on the team then if he is not gonna pinch run in those situations then why is he up here?? He doesn’t start over other guys now with injuries so I don’t know I just didn’t think it was the right move. I thought Hurdle just assumed way too and lived in his fears at that moment.

Clint didn’t want Jason Martin facing Smith the Giants closer who is a lefty with the game on the line he wanted Diaz up instead who is right handed facing Smith. I’m not sure how good of an idea that would have been anyway seeing that Diaz hasn’t taken a Major League at bat in nearly 7 months and Martin has been playing and is fresh and actually hits lefties very good. Let Martin be up as well with the game on the line and let’s see if he comes through. He got a game winning hit with 2 outs in DC last week in the 9th so why not trust him again. The bottom line is it was a stupid bonehead explanation by Hurdle that made no sense and I’m not going to sit here and say it costs them the game but you can add it to the list of Hurdle ideas that just made no sense and didnt give your team the best chance to win a game. It shouldn’t matter either if it’s early April or not. Every game matters every win matters and I don’t think Hurdle gave his team the best chance to win yesterday in that 9th inning which is nothing new for Clint and something I am sure he will do yet again this season down the road.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

685A56564270535A57525D5A3B0 wrote: This doesn't deserve a thread but I keep watching it and thought people here might appreciate it too, if they don't get TV and sports center like I don't.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1120062497396969472

It's the crazy As double play.

Sammy, I would call that a Little League DP! ;D
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

200D00111607105053620 wrote: I mean the Giants made a great play to throw Kang out. I had no problem with Cora being aggressive waiving Kang home. They took a shot and it didn’t work out even though Kang ran about as slow as someone could run it was pathetic.  I just didn’t like Clint saying they couldn’t use Reyes to pinch run because he planned on pinch hitting Diaz for Martin next. Then don’t pinch hit Diaz in that situation and let Martin hit and then you could have used Diaz to bat after Martin instead of Reyes or a pitcher. Sometimes you can’t overthink stuff and that’s what I felt Hurdle did in that situation. Why is Reyes on the team then if he is not gonna pinch run in those situations then why is he up here?? He doesn’t start over other guys now with injuries so I don’t know I just didn’t think it was the right move. I thought Hurdle just assumed way too and lived in his fears at that moment.

There are different ways to look at it. The logical move would have been to PR Reyes for Cervelli. But assuming such a move would not have altered history, Kang's ground ball would have forced Reyes at 2B rather than Cervelli. So Kang would still have been the runner out at the plate. But having failed to PR for Cervelli, Hurdle, by dodging that bullet, could then have PR Reyes for Kang. But it just seems Hurdle was hoping to get by without making the best move he could make.   

He has to run Reyes for Kang there period. And like I said earlier Hurdle’s explanation of using Diaz to pinch hit for Martin and being out of position players had they pinch run Reyes made no sense and just didn’t give the Pirates the best chance to win the game. Clint has to know the situation there and has to manage better then he did there and he screwed up big time.