Pirates vs Texas 5/1--2:05 pm

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

iabucco

Post by iabucco »

Just a reminder that Colin Moran is not fast and Generalismo Francisco Franco is still dead.
steve49

Post by steve49 »

627F5B5957320 wrote: Reynolds absolutely looks like he belongs up here.  Why in the world haven't we seen him before.  Hope they don't do to him what they did to Meadows, he's got to play hitting like this he has to play every day.
He and Martin I'm sure were reasons NH was willing to trade Meadows in the first place.

Right.  As bad as some NH trades look, this one looks pretty good. They gave up one year of an older McCutchen for Crick and Reynolds.  The early returns are really good for the Pirates.

Yes .. appears to be a very good deal.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Nice to win the final 2 games of this series. The Pirates had to stop the bleeding coming home for these 5 games with the A’s and Rangers and they at least were able to do that and get back to .500. Reynolds continues to impress and come up with huge clutch hits.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

Well, all things considered (injuries to Polanco, Marte, Dickerson, Chisenhall, Gonzalez, Diaz, Crick, Burdi, Archer), plus an eight game losing streak, if you had told me on opening day that all that would happen, and the Bucs would still 14-14, I guess I would have taken it. Considering I predicted a win total that starts with a "6," I'm sort of content. I just want to be playing meaningful baseball into July. If they can hang around in shouting distance of the WC and make NH think a little at the trade deadline, I'll be happy.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I don’t want to just be satisfied with this team “hanging” around the race in July and sniffing a wildcard spot as IA mentioned. I want this team competing for division titles and pennants but unfortunately with this ownership group and management team of Huntington and Coonelly that will never happen.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

0F222F3E39283F7F7C4D0 wrote: Reynolds absolutely looks like he belongs up here.  Why in the world haven't we seen him before. Hope they don't do to him what they did to Meadows, he's got to play hitting like this he has to play every day.
When they acquired him in the Cutch deal, Reynolds hadn't played above high-A but has never hit below .312 in the low minors. At Altoona last year he hit .302 and started the season at AAA where he was hitting .367 when recalled. The guy can flat out hit and has at every level. He's just 24. When Dickerson went down, Reynolds or Martin were the logical candidates to replace him. Indy hadn't started their season yet and Martin was red hot in ST so got the nod. But Reynolds looks like the real thing and they need to find a spot for him even when/if Dickerson returns.

He reminds me of Keith Hernandez, maybe it's his looks but every-time I see him bat I see a young Keith H. I sure hope he is but I'm so impressed with him to this point. Just don't mess him up CH.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

1F17142335103738560 wrote: Well, all things considered (injuries to Polanco, Marte, Dickerson, Chisenhall, Gonzalez, Diaz, Crick, Burdi, Archer), plus an eight game losing streak, if you had told me on opening day that all that would happen, and the Bucs would still 14-14, I guess I would have taken it. Considering I predicted a win total that starts with a "6," I'm sort of content. I just want to be playing meaningful baseball into July. If they can hang around in shouting distance of the WC and make NH think a little at the trade deadline, I'll be happy.

Their predicament seems tenuous, even as their horses have started making their back in to the everyday lineup. The bullpen isn't as deep as it appeared it would be, but atleast Kela has started to get back on track, and will hopefully take innings away from Rodriquez, who has been a bust this year. Crick is earning the 8th inning role, and Liriano has also been good, but it's not been the bullpen they need.

Around the horn.

C - Cervelli has been bad, but Diaz looks like a legit MLB starting catcher.

1B - Bell is answering a lot of questions.

2B - Frazier is not the long term answer here.

SS - Tucker is not quite ready yet, but there is a lot of upside here and the defense allows for the team to have patience

3B - Kang and Moran aren't cutting it. Moran is a good PH, bench piece, but Kang is starting very slow. Maybe he comes around, but either way, Hayes will be here soon.

RF - A slow start from Polanco should have been expected, I hope he returns to form soon.

CF - Marte's presence is needed, even if he isn't producing yet.

LF - I wouldn't be surprised if Dickerson never really returns this year, I hope Reynolds stays healthy and pushes Melky to the 4th OF role.

IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

587F6E6A6F724D796E6F6F720B0 wrote: I don’t want to just be satisfied with this team “hanging” around the race in July and sniffing a wildcard spot as IA mentioned. I want this team competing for division titles and pennants but unfortunately with this ownership group and management team of Huntington and Coonelly that will never happen.

BTW...I said I would be satisfied with hanging around until July sort of as a tongue-in-cheek comment, but I was also semi-serious. I'm bringing my parents to Pittsburgh June 17-20 for the two game set with Detroit. They've never been to PNC before and this has been a trip I've always wanted to take. I'd like those games to be of some importance, and not be toiling around 10.5 games out of the second wild card. I'm not going to kid myself...I really don't think this is a playoff team. But, I do think they can hang around and make things semi interesting this summer.