Crazy First Half

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Wrathchild

Crazy First Half

Post by Wrathchild »

I don't think Moran can stay at 3B defensively but he should be able to play it and 1B well enough to at least competently and more cheaply fill the role of Freese the next few years. I think he is a professional enough hitter to succeed getting a lot of pinch hit appearances and spot starts. If Kang can come back, that's how I would approach Moran moving forward.
Ecbucs

Crazy First Half

Post by Ecbucs »

332B292E2E39282F323325400 wrote:

As for Colin Moran ... he may be slower than molasses going uphill in the winter, and maybe he has mobility of a statue at 3B, but I think he's a pretty good hitter. A professional hitter with a professional approach.

Joey Cora almost beat him to the plate. Joey Cora who is probably old enough to be Moran's father.
He has to move to 1st base if he want to stay in the NL, but I'm not holding my breath for NH and CH making such a bold move.

his best position on defense should be first base.  But he hasn't hit like a first baseman yet.

Wrathchild may be right about his best role with team, at this point I still have some hope that his offense will improve enough that he can be a regular, at least 20 homers and batting average over 280.
rucker59@gmail.com

Crazy First Half

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

4F4D575147220 wrote: Yeah, but Joey had the play in front of him the whole way. Not a fair race.

But Joey was running sideways doing windmills at 100mph with his arms.
rucker59@gmail.com

Crazy First Half

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

I don't know what to think about this team, but I do know we are 6 or so late game meltdowns from being from being a legit contender.

I started out the season believing this could be a good team. I watched the first six weeks and declared them to be legitimate. I kept my mouth shut though the 1st half of their freefall. Joined the crowd in berating them the past month. I doubted this rebound until they swept the doubleheader. Couldn't believe the comeback yesterday.

Now I'm wanting to believe, once again, this can be a good team. Maybe a contending team. Unfortunately, they're probably too far back in the wild card. The six teams they would have to jump - each of them is probably too good to drop out of the race; to expect the Pirates to leap all of them is pretty unreaslistic.
SammyKhalifa

Crazy First Half

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Not as good as they look now:  not as bad as they looked a few weeks ago.

How's that for a bold statement?   ;D

Still it's true and usually is good to keep in mind when people are going overboard after a period of winning or losing.