Can We Get a Starter for Corey Dickerson?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

I was reading about the Giants' struggles with OF play - particularly in LF, and started to wonder about who we might be able to trade for. Obviously there is some sort of GM relationship between Neal Huntington and Giants management, given the McCutchen for Crick & Reynolds trade.

Drew Pomeranz is a 30-year old lefty starter putting up mediocre numbers. Could a change of scenery produce better results for Pomeranz? He's had some good years.

I know Pomeranz is not a real prize but I'm trying to be realistic. I bet the Giants would bite on this offer.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

Personally, I wouldn’t do that trade. Dickerson has a great year last year. No reason to think he can’t come back strong from his injury. The guy I look to trade is Will Craig. He’s having a big year and is blocked by Bell’s emergence.
maher.timothy20@gm

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

They wouldn't need to trade anybody if they'd made the obvious move of signing Gio Gonzales in the offseason.

Dickerson was our best hitter last year. I know Reynolds is off to storybook start but we'd be foolish to assume that'll just continue indefinitely.

Will Craig is blocked but maybe he could try third base? If Colin Moran can play the outfield and the Brewers can move Travis Shaw to 2B I don't see why not.

It just sucks that we're put in a position of having to give up talent to make up for the fact that they didn't address an obvious need for depth and could have done so on a budget. >:(
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Pirates announce that Corey Dickerson (shoulder) is scheduled to begin a rehab assignment tonight with Triple-A
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

1B2925253103202924212E29480 wrote: Pirates announce that Corey Dickerson (shoulder) is scheduled to begin a rehab assignment tonight with Triple-A

Excellent. Any word on Kela? He threw a sim game on Wednesday. He's got to be close.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Yeah, I don't know, Kela's the more important one in the current situation.

I wonder if we see a phantom injury to Marte to kick this can down the road a few days longer.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

I doubt it. Even if Marte's struggling with the bat, he's far and away the best defensive outfielder on the team and really the only true center fielder on the roster. Reynolds can fill in in a pinch, but I don't think they want him playing center every day.
steve49

Post by steve49 »

7F4D41415567444D40454A4D2C0 wrote: Yeah, I don't know, Kela's the more important one in the current situation.

I wonder if we see a phantom injury to Marte to kick this can down the road a few days longer.

No way that happens. Not only would the Pirates never make that move , I don't even think it would occur to them.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Davis Square nailed it above.

If we had just SIGNED AFFORDABLE PITCHERS WHO WERE WAITING TO BE SIGNED this offseason, we wouldn't be starting Steve Brault (or whoever) tonight vs. the Dodgers.

But we did not sign Gio, or anyone.

So now we're stuck. And if we do decide to make a trade we'll probably trade Reynolds and Tucker and then throw in Keller as the PTBNL at the last minute.

Kills me that we didn't sign two additional pitchers in the offseason.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

It didn't even have to be anyone that good.