Jared Oliva Recalled

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

MaineBucs

Jared Oliva Recalled

Post by MaineBucs »

MLB Trade Rumors is reporting that the Pirates have recalled Jared Oliva and placed Moran on the IL.

Hopefully the Bucs give Oliva some real playing time. Tom is clearly not an answer, regardless of the question; Gamel has shown some grit but is best as a 4th or 5th outfielder; and Polanco has no value.

Bad news on Moran's wrist injury, but I'm glad that Oliva is coming up rather than a replay of Craig.
Javy

Jared Oliva Recalled

Post by Javy »

Good to hear he's being promoted.

Given the proper amount of rest to recuperate from the long trip from Indianapolis, he should be ready for a pinch hitting appearance by this time next week.
ChillinStation

Jared Oliva Recalled

Post by ChillinStation »

Would rather see Craig get another chance , he has been hitting well at AAA . Olivia is just another weak bat .
UtahPirate

Jared Oliva Recalled

Post by UtahPirate »

Oliva his hitting .167 at AAA, so he ought to be real comfortable as a Bucco corner outfielder.

Alford is the one I'm ready to see again. Seems like he has figured something out and has posted a OBP around .450 in Indianapolis.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Jared Oliva Recalled

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

Even if Olivia struggles at the plate, it can’t be that much worse than Polanco. The positive is there’ll be a better defender in RF. Besides, there’s not one benefit to be gained by having Polanco on the field for even one more appearance. One month from now, he’ll be a former Pirate.
Bobster21

Jared Oliva Recalled

Post by Bobster21 »

Strange to recall a AAA OFer hitting .167. He hit .266 at low A in 2017, .275 at high A in 2018 and .277 at Altoona in 2019. Not a lot of power. Struggled badly vs AAA pitching this year. I thought maybe he recently got hot for Indy but just the opposite. He was 0 for 14 in his past 4 games and gets promoted in the midst of a 2 for 23 (.087) slump vs AAA pitching. He'll fit right in.
johnfluharty

Jared Oliva Recalled

Post by johnfluharty »

6E4F5A536B52495A4F5E3B0 wrote: Oliva his hitting .167 at AAA, so he ought to be real comfortable as a Bucco corner outfielder.

Alford is the one I'm ready to see again. Seems like he has figured something out and has posted a OBP around .450 in Indianapolis.

He seems to be playing well but he's also striking out in almost a third of his at bats, so I'm not sure how well his production is going to translate to the majors.
johnfluharty

Jared Oliva Recalled

Post by johnfluharty »

634E43525544531310210 wrote: Strange to recall a AAA OFer hitting .167. He hit .266 at low A in 2017, .275 at high A in 2018 and .277 at Altoona in 2019. Not a lot of power. Struggled badly vs AAA pitching this year. I thought maybe he recently got hot for Indy but just the opposite. He was 0 for 14 in his past 4 games and gets promoted in the midst of a 2 for 23 (.087) slump vs AAA pitching. He'll fit right in.

The reasoning I'm sure is that he was one of the few options on the 40 man roster - was either him or Cole Tucker or someone from AA.
Bobster21

Jared Oliva Recalled

Post by Bobster21 »

777275737B7168757C6F69641D0 wrote: Oliva his hitting .167 at AAA, so he ought to be real comfortable as a Bucco corner outfielder.

He seems to be playing well but he's also striking out in almost a third of his at bats, so I'm not sure how well his production is going to translate to the majors.
Alford was injured recently (I think it was a wrist) and missed a week. He only turned yesterday as a PHer for Indy. I guess he'll be recalled as soon as they think he's ready to play. Clearly a better option than Oliva but Alford has to be added to the 40 man roster first.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Jared Oliva Recalled

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

0C212C3D3A2B3C7C7F4E0 wrote: Strange to recall a AAA OFer hitting .167. He hit .266 at low A in 2017, .275 at high A in 2018 and .277 at Altoona in 2019. Not a lot of power. Struggled badly vs AAA pitching this year. I thought maybe he recently got hot for Indy but just the opposite. He was 0 for 14 in his past 4 games and gets promoted in the midst of a 2 for 23 (.087) slump vs AAA pitching. He'll fit right in.

Maybe he was just bored in Indy. ::)