David Freese . . .

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

David Freese . . .

Post by DemDog »

If this current slide continues for the next week or so do the Bucs "consider" trading Freese to a contender in need of a 3b-1B of decent caliber who has a great post-season track record.

Knowing that you will not get a decent MLB ready player what do think we can get back for him if they would trade him.

On the other hand do you live with him for the rest of the season and pickup his $6 million option for next season to platoon with "Red Beard" and give Bell some time off at 1B?
notes34

David Freese . . .

Post by notes34 »

54757D547F77100 wrote: If this current slide continues for the next week or so do the Bucs "consider" trading Freese to a contender in need of a 3b-1B of decent caliber who has a great post-season track record.

Knowing that you will not get a decent MLB ready player what do think we can get back for him if they would trade him.

On the other hand do you live with him for the rest of the season and pickup his $6 million option for next season to platoon with "Red Beard" and give Bell some time off at 1B?

He has been so well, that I think I keep him.
Bobster21

David Freese . . .

Post by Bobster21 »

There's just no way Nutting approves 6 mil for a 36 year old part time Freese next year. It's far more likely 3B will be a Moran/Osuna platoon or some inexpensive journeyman veteran to pair with Moran.
mouse

David Freese . . .

Post by mouse »

Good point. Realistically, how long till Hayes makes Pittsburgh?
DemDog

David Freese . . .

Post by DemDog »

230E03121504135350610 wrote: There's just no way Nutting approves 6 mil for a 36 year old part time Freese next year. It's far more likely 3B will be a Moran/Osuna platoon or some inexpensive journeyman veteran to pair with Moran.

If you're not going to keep him next year do you dump him now and get something even if it is just Int'l Bonus money? And can Osuna play 3B as well as Freese in a limited capacity say against LHPs? Just asking as I really don't have an opinion one way or the other.
Bobster21

David Freese . . .

Post by Bobster21 »

42636B426961060 wrote: There's just no way Nutting approves 6 mil for a 36 year old part time Freese next year. It's far more likely 3B will be a Moran/Osuna platoon or some inexpensive journeyman veteran to pair with Moran.
If you're not going to keep him next year do you dump him now and get something even if it is just Int'l Bonus money?  And can Osuna play 3B as well as Freese in a limited capacity say against LHPs?  Just asking as I really don't have an opinion one way or the other.
As long as they can do it in the next 2 weeks. For PR reasons (and PR effects ticket sales) they can't give up on the season too soon. But at some point they have to be realistic. They won't get anything for Freese as of 9/1 when he can't be added to a post season roster. But I think they're very close to calling it a season (Hurdle has already given up some games as if there was no WC race anyway). So barring a long winning streak between now and 8/31 I expect to see Freese moved. But if they can't move him by 8/31, they only lose $500,000 in the buyout next year. That's peanuts for most teams but the Pirates cut Nicasio last year to save that amount.
MaineBucs

David Freese . . .

Post by MaineBucs »

I don't move Freese and I don't think the Pirates will either.

The Pirates are going to get nothing in return for Freese, talent wise. Although they likely would save about $1 mil between his remaining salary and the option cost.

Frankly, if Freese continues to perform at his current level, I believe they pick up his $6 mil option for next year. I believe next year's team will be minus SRod ($6 mil), Jordy ($6 mil) and Harrison ($10 mil). And, none of Bell, Moran, Frazier or any of the potential middle infield rookies that could be on the team will yet be expensive.

Further, while I know that there is concern about Osuna's glove at 3rd, my bigger concern is his bat. He has done close to nothing this year in very limited playing time at the MLB level and he did little in the latter half of last year.

If the Bucs truly want to contend next year, they should keep Freese. He is earning (read earning) $4 mil this year, while SRod alone is making $6 mil. In short, bringing him back next year has only a $2 mil hit on the payroll compared to this year. Thirty-six year old players are a question mark, but in a limited role, Freese could be a real asset.
JollyRoger

David Freese . . .

Post by JollyRoger »

Freese needs to be re-signed. He has had an excellent season and as noted last spring has provided leadership. Who cares if he is 36; the man can still rake. He plays a better 3B than Moran and a far superior 1B than Bell (although that is not difficult)
SCBucco

David Freese . . .

Post by SCBucco »

67464E674C44230 wrote: If this current slide continues for the next week or so do the Bucs "consider" trading Freese to a contender in need of a 3b-1B of decent caliber who has a great post-season track record.

Yes. Remember, we had a guy named Watson last year. Many thought he didn't have much value ... didn't pitch well here. Traded for a package including a guy named Cruz. He is doing fine for our system. I would trade Freese.