McHenry

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

johnfluharty

McHenry

Post by johnfluharty »

I like him on the radio broadcasts, enough that even when he is with Joe Block I don't get that skin-crawl sensation that I ususally get with Block. What do you others think of The Fort on the radio so far?
GermanTownship

McHenry

Post by GermanTownship »

Agree. He played the game, just like Walk and Werner. Also like Brown.
SammyKhalifa

McHenry

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Yeah, I was talking about this the other day. I was surprised how much I liked him because I have never thought that much about his work behind the desk postgame one way or the other.

I still wonder how well it will work with a rotating crew of 75 different color guys though.
johnfluharty

McHenry

Post by johnfluharty »

0F3D31312517343D30353A3D5C0 wrote: Yeah, I was talking about this the other day.  I was surprised how much I liked him because I have never thought that much about his work behind the desk postgame one way or the other.

I still wonder how well it will work with a rotating crew of 75 different color guys though. 

I have that concern as well.  On the TV side, I'd like to see them just get rid of the play-by-play guy and put two guys like Capps and McHenry (a former pitcher and a former position player) together and see how that goes.  On the radio side, a play-by-play guy is useful as long as he actually sticks to just doing the play-by-play and not rambling endlessly on nonsense-topics.

Ecbucs

McHenry

Post by Ecbucs »

2B2E292F272D342920333538410 wrote: Yeah, I was talking about this the other day.  I was surprised how much I liked him because I have never thought that much about his work behind the desk postgame one way or the other.

I have that concern as well.  On the TV side, I'd like to see them just get rid of the play-by-play guy and put two guys like Capps and McHenry (a former pitcher and a former position player) together and see how that goes.  On the radio side, a play-by-play guy is useful as long as he actually sticks to just doing the play-by-play and not rambling endlessly on nonsense-topics.

I like the idea of not having a play by play on television. If they have good visuals, play by play isn't needed.

For radio, I think the talk ratio should be about 75% play by play with color commenter only highlighting certain plays, strategies. No need to comment on everything.

Bobster21

McHenry

Post by Bobster21 »

I wouldn't want to get rid of TV PBP. It should enhance the viewing of the game. Should! The problem is that we are subjected to the endless ramblings of Joe Block and his "er's" and "uh's" while he tries to avoid any seconds of silence until he thinks of a new ramble which makes viewing games unbearable. I'm not a huge fan of Greg Brown either but I think he does a fine job of calling the game except for his seemingly desperate attempts to invent catch phrases and nicknames. (I don't blame him for wanting to be more like Bob Prince but it seemed natural with Prince and very forced with Brown.) But otherwise, he's fine in describing the action in an interesting and informative way. So I don't think the function of PBP should be ceased. Rather, I think the network needs to do a better job in hiring the people for that job. Block should be gone yesterday. Brown needs to be told to ease up on the ca-ca-catch phrases. But I think he has cut back to some degree.

As for the color commentators, I liked Blass, Walk and Wehner. They were better paired with Brown than Block because Brown doesn't hog all the air time and prevent them from giving their thoughts on anything other than what he is rambling about. But too many cooks spoils the broth. I watch a lot of Orioles games too. For color commentators they have Jim Palmer, Mike Bordick, Ben McDonald, Brian Roberts and occasionally former pitcher (and briefly a Pirate) Dave Johnson. You never know who you will hear. Sometimes it takes a moment to identify the voice. And I think regular viewers appreciate some continuity as well as enabling the broadcast team to work well together rather than switching up with different partners constantly.

The Orioles have further muddied the waters with a plethora of on-air "contributors" (pre & post game and field reporting) with Gary Thorne, Kevin Brown, Scott Garceau, Geoff Arnold, Jim Hunter, Tom Davis, Melanie Newman, Rick Dempsey, Rob Long and Greg Olson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWld721Wk-Q" style="border:0;height:100%;left:0;position:absolute;width:100%">
Ecbucs

McHenry

Post by Ecbucs »

I used to like Lowenstein and Jim Palmer. John Miller was great with O's too.
NJBucsFan

McHenry

Post by NJBucsFan »

Yep, I grew up in Maryland listening to Jon Miller on the Orioles broadcasts and am completely spoiled. As to the catch phrases though, I live in the NYC area and I cannot listen to John Sterling at all because of the cringe inducing catch phrases and nicknames and the like. Even on Sports Center he makes me cringe. Part of it is despising the Yankees of course, but his home run call sometimes makes me want to reconsider my love of baseball.
johnfluharty

McHenry

Post by johnfluharty »

56525A6D7B6B5E7976180 wrote: Yep, I grew up in Maryland listening to Jon Miller on the Orioles broadcasts and am completely spoiled. As to the catch phrases though, I live in the NYC area and I cannot listen to John Sterling at all because of the cringe inducing catch phrases and nicknames and the like. Even on Sports Center he makes me cringe. Part of it is despising the Yankees of course, but his home run call sometimes makes me want to reconsider my love of baseball.

I used to hate Brown's catch-phrases but ever since he came up with 'cannon-ball coming' I have softened on him.
Bobster21

McHenry

Post by Bobster21 »

535651575F554C51584B4D40390 wrote: Yep, I grew up in Maryland listening to Jon Miller on the Orioles broadcasts and am completely spoiled. As to the catch phrases though, I live in the NYC area and I cannot listen to John Sterling at all because of the cringe inducing catch phrases and nicknames and the like. Even on Sports Center he makes me cringe. Part of it is despising the Yankees of course, but his home run call sometimes makes me want to reconsider my love of baseball.

I used to hate Brown's catch-phrases but ever since he came up with 'cannon-ball coming' I have softened on him.
I agree. That seems to be when he toned things down. Maybe he felt he had finally accomplished a good catch phrase. And it's a good HR call. Before that, he tailored every HR call to a nickname for that player, like "Mack-wack-tally-whack" or "Toro, toro." He still does his horrible Irish accent "Don't ya know" for Moran. But otherwise, he's gotten much better with that and his PBP was always good otherwise.

I agree that Jon Miller was awesome for the Orioles. Great at PBP and also very interesting and very funny. He also did impressions. He made games very enjoyable to watch or listen to. But never engaged in inane rambling just to hear his own voice as Block does.