Ke'Bryan Hayes

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WildwoodDave2

Ke'Bryan Hayes

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

Following doc's advice, Hayes just turned down Buc's extension offer. Terms were not disclosed
2drfischer@gmail.c

Ke'Bryan Hayes

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

7E40454D5E46464D6D485F4C1B290 wrote: Following doc's advice, Hayes just turned down Buc's extension offer. Terms were not disclosed

It'd be nice when Hayes does sign a big contract with another team six years from now that he remembers my advice and helps me out in my retirement.
Bobster21

Ke'Bryan Hayes

Post by Bobster21 »

It would be foolish for Hayes to tie himself to this organization into his free agency years. Good young players who come thru the organization count the days until they can leave and play for a competitive team or at least get traded to one before that happens. And if the Pirates should become competitive as he enters free agency, he can make a deal at that time to stay if he desires.

As for buying out his arbitration years, Hayes has no reason to do that unless the offer is overwhelming. Hayes very likely believes he will be putting up great numbers by arbitration time and will want to be compensated in that process instead of settling for less in advance. The proposed terms were not disclosed but the Pirates do not overwhelm players with offers.

Things could change if Hayes has any reason to lower his productivity expectations or the Pirates offer what he thinks he's worth. But I'm not surprised he rejected their offer at this time.
WildwoodDave2

Ke'Bryan Hayes

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

725F52434455420201300 wrote: It would be foolish for Hayes to tie himself to this organization into his free agency years. Good young players who come thru the organization count the days until they can leave and play for a competitive team or at least get traded to one before that happens. And if the Pirates should become competitive as he enters free agency, he can make a deal at that time to stay if he desires.

As for buying out his arbitration years, Hayes has no reason to do that unless the offer is overwhelming. Hayes very likely believes he will be putting up great numbers by arbitration time and will want to be compensated in that process instead of settling for less in advance.  The proposed terms were not disclosed but the Pirates do not overwhelm players with offers.

Things could change if Hayes has any reason to lower his productivity expectations or the Pirates offer what he thinks he's worth. But I'm not surprised he rejected their offer at this time.
Bobster, do you have any idea who his agent is?
Bobster21

Ke'Bryan Hayes

Post by Bobster21 »

0E30353D2E36363D1D382F3C6B590 wrote: It would be foolish for Hayes to tie himself to this organization into his free agency years. Good young players who come thru the organization count the days until they can leave and play for a competitive team or at least get traded to one before that happens. And if the Pirates should become competitive as he enters free agency, he can make a deal at that time to stay if he desires.

As for buying out his arbitration years, Hayes has no reason to do that unless the offer is overwhelming. Hayes very likely believes he will be putting up great numbers by arbitration time and will want to be compensated in that process instead of settling for less in advance.  The proposed terms were not disclosed but the Pirates do not overwhelm players with offers.

MLB Trade Rumors only says the Ballengee Group. Doesn't specify the agent.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/03/ ... hayes.html

https://www.ballengeegroup.com/
WildwoodDave2

Ke'Bryan Hayes

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

715C51404756410102330 wrote: It would be foolish for Hayes to tie himself to this organization into his free agency years. Good young players who come thru the organization count the days until they can leave and play for a competitive team or at least get traded to one before that happens. And if the Pirates should become competitive as he enters free agency, he can make a deal at that time to stay if he desires.

MLB Trade Rumors only says the Ballengee Group. Doesn't specify the agent.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/03/ ... hayes.html

https://www.ballengeegroup.com/
hopefully it's not Boris
bucs607179

Ke'Bryan Hayes

Post by bucs607179 »

Really makes me sad to know that most players the Pirates draft or get probably spend their days waiting to get the hell out of Pittsburgh. :(

Still will root for Hayes to somehow have a great year. ROTY!!!! In the 50-60 wins we get I'm guessing he plays a big part in over half of them.

BEAT EM BUCS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BenM

Ke'Bryan Hayes

Post by BenM »

495E48581D1B1C1A1C122B0 wrote: Really makes me sad to know that most players the Pirates draft or get probably spend their days waiting to get the hell out of Pittsburgh. :(

Still will root for Hayes to somehow have a great year. ROTY!!!! In the 50-60 wins we get I'm guessing he plays a big part in over half of them.

BEAT EM BUCS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My guess is that he is betting on himself and not expressing a desire to get out of Pittsburgh. He probably would have said no to a similar contract had he been with the Yankees or the Dodgers.
shedman

Ke'Bryan Hayes

Post by shedman »

My guess is that they low balled Hayes. Then in arbitration years they will dicker with him over $5000 and he will get PO's and leave at his first chance (ala Gerritt Cole)
Bobster21

Ke'Bryan Hayes

Post by Bobster21 »

28333E3F363A355B0 wrote: My guess is that they low balled Hayes.  Then in arbitration years they will dicker with him over $5000 and he will get PO's and leave at his first chance (ala Gerritt Cole)
Cole didn't leave, he was traded. And Cole was upset at his salary prior to arbitration. Most players get the minimum for the first 3 years when they have no leverage. That's what upset Cole. Once they get to arbitration they have to offer a fair salary because the arbitrator awards either the team's offer or the player's request, whichever he deems more fair. Cole was not going to stay when he became a FA and neither will Hayes. By offering an extension now, the Pirates were likely offering substantially more than the minimum for the pre-arbitration years and more to buy out some or all of his arbitration years. And maybe even a year or 2 of his FA years.

But Hayes is confident that even if he takes the minimum in his pre-arb years he'll make up for it either with outstanding seasons heading into arbitration and/or in free agency.