Opening day lineup...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Opening day lineup...

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Here is what I hope the Pirates opening day lineup looks like in Cincinnati a month from tomorrow and also consistently every game.

Frazier 2nd

Dickerson LF

Marte CF

Bell 1st

Kang 3rd

Cervelli C

Chisenhall RF

Gonzalez SS

I think that right there is the best possible lineup in terms of both offense and defense the Pirates can put on the field consistently until Polanco comes back in May that will give them the best chance to win games day in and day out. I think Kang at 3rd is a better option then Moran both offensively and defensively and Gonzalez is a better option as well at short for the same reasons over a guy like Newman who I still am just not sold on.
SammyKhalifa

Opening day lineup...

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I think Melky could still surprise some people too.
OrlandoMerced

Opening day lineup...

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I would go with:

Frazier

Marte

Polanco/Chisenhall

Kang

Dickerson

Cervelli/Diaz

Bell

Gonzalez

I think at least to start the top 3 should be that. 4/5/6 will depend on how these guys look in ST. Kang would obviously have to prove he can handle that, Dickerson would also be first to move up to the leadoff spot should Frazier falter.
SammyKhalifa

Opening day lineup...

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Another thing this makes me notice is how much we're just assuming Frazier will be ok at 2nd all year.
OrlandoMerced

Opening day lineup...

Post by OrlandoMerced »

53616D6D794B68616C696661000 wrote: Another thing this makes me notice is how much we're just assuming Frazier will be ok at 2nd all year.

Yeah, I'm definitely not taking that for granted. I think the risk of his faltering is mitigated by having internal options like Reyes or Kramer to take over 2B, and also Dickerson's ability to handle batting leadoff.
Bobster21

Opening day lineup...

Post by Bobster21 »

566468687C4E6D64696C6364050 wrote: Another thing this makes me notice is how much we're just assuming Frazier will be ok at 2nd all year.
While that's the plan, it doesn't mean he will be better defensively. They want his bat in the lineup and he seems to be a good leadoff batter. And they don't seem to have another candidate for 2B if he fails. Last year he seemed to improve at 2B but he seemed to me to be adequate at best. I think they will gladly accept adequate from him at this point.
OrlandoMerced

Opening day lineup...

Post by OrlandoMerced »

It seems as though he's a worse outfielder than a second baseman.
SammyKhalifa

Opening day lineup...

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Something to keep an eye on:

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pir ... 1902270104

Pirates catcher Elias Diaz out with 'undisclosed illness'

BRADENTON, Fla. — Pirates catcher Elias Diaz has been diagnosed with an “undisclosed illness” that has caused him to stop baseball activities, according to director of sports medicine Todd Tomczyk.

Diaz, 28, played 82 games for the Pirates in 2018 and hit 10 home runs with a .286/.339/.452 slash line. The Venezuelan native will be evaluated on a “week-to-week” basis, Tomczyk told the media on Wednesday.

Diaz noticed symptoms last week and told the team.

“He will be limited to no activities for a couple of weeks,” Tomczyk said.

The team is uncertain if Diaz will start the season on the injured list. He is currently in Bradenton and working with the team’s medical staff.

CTBucco

Opening day lineup...

Post by CTBucco »

A couple of weeks? What kind of "illness" does a 28 year-old professional athlete contract that keeps them off the field for "a couple of weeks"? Pneumonia? Shingles?
SteadyFreddy

Opening day lineup...

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I think Frazier will actually be a better player both offensively and defensively if he plays everyday. I can see him hitting over .300 playing everyday so I think he will be fine. I think Melky as well has a shot to overtake Chisenhall in right and play a lot as well before Polanco comes back. So I definitely won’t overlook Melky at all I think he has a chance to contribute and be very good.