5. Colin Moran (L) 3B

6. Jose Osuna (R) RF

7. Adam Frazier (L) 2B

8. Elias Diaz (R) C

9. Steven Brault (L) P
Bobster21

Pirates vs. Cards - 9/7 - Game Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

Wainwright had been struggling until his last outing, which was 7 shutout innings vs SF.
INbuc

Post by INbuc »

Over past few years Wainwright has significantly increased his curve ball usage.  One of his favorite pitches is the 12 to 6 curve. He usually starts it about neck high, tries to get the hitter to give up the pitch, and then drop it in the upper half of the zone.  The pitch usually comes down the middle of the plate in the mid 70s.

I'm sure it is easier said than done, but I would like to see guys like Frazier, Moran, Bell, and Reynolds sit on that pitch and put a few over the fence.  :)
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

57507C6B7D1E0 wrote: Over past few years Wainwright has significantly increased his curve ball usage.  One of his favorite pitches is the 12 to 6 curve. He usually starts it about neck high, tries to get the hitter to give up the pitch, and then drop it in the upper half of the zone.  The pitch usually comes down the middle of the plate in the mid 70s.

I'm sure it is easier said than done, but I would like to see guys like Frazier, Moran, Bell, and Reynolds sit on that pitch and put a few over the fence.   :)

Brault will do it.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

How in the world did Bell ever become a professional baseball player without being able to throw a baseball?
BenM

Post by BenM »

755855444352450506370 wrote: How in the world did Bell ever become a professional baseball player without being able to throw a baseball?

I'm still amazed that he was an outfield prospect. Did he develop a mild case of Pedro Alvarez disease?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

It's so annoying that Joe Block feels he has to explain every reference Walk or Blass make. Tonight Blass was talking about pitching to Boog Powell. After Blass made his point, Block explained to us that Powell was once a power hitter for the Orioles. Block has been doing this all season. He always assumes his audience knows nothing about even the very well known players in MLB history. Just as he assumes his audience is less interested in the game they are watching than in his chatter about anything and everything. I'm not a fan of Greg Brown's overuse of nicknames and catch phrases. But Brown at least gives his audience credit for understanding baseball and famous MLB players without thinking we need him to explain all of that to us.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

1A373A2B2C3D2A6A69580 wrote: It's so annoying that Joe Block feels he has to explain every reference Walk or Blass make. Tonight Blass was talking about pitching to Boog Powell. After Blass made his point, Block explained to us that Powell was once a power hitter for the Orioles. Block has been doing this all season. He always assumes his audience knows nothing about even the very well known players in MLB history. Just as he assumes his audience is less interested in the game they are watching than in his chatter about anything and everything. I'm not a fan of Greg Brown's overuse of nicknames and catch phrases. But Brown at least gives his audience credit for understanding baseball and famous MLB players without thinking we need him to explain all of that to us. 

it could be that Block had never heard of some of these players until he looked them after Blass told a story.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

092429383F2E39797A4B0 wrote: How in the world did Bell ever become a professional baseball player without being able to throw a baseball?

thirteen errors is a lot for a first basemen in this era of few errors for anyone.

I didn't realize that almost every first basemen is listed with negative war.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/fielding/ ... rder/false
steve49

Post by steve49 »

Are these games really in Pittsburgh ? Seems like the Crds have more fans.