Pirates get #32 overall competitive balance pick.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Nice.

Round A

1) Baltimore Orioles

2) Pittsburgh Pirates

3) Kansas City Royals

4) Arizona Diamondbacks

5) San Diego Padres

6) Colorado Rockies

7) Cleveland Indians

8) St. Louis Cardinals

Round B

1) Miami Marlins

2) Detroit Tigers

3) Tampa Bay Rays

4) Milwaukee Brewers

5) Cincinnati Reds

6) Minnesota Twins

https://www.mlb.com/news/2020-draft-com ... ance-round
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

And hopefully better people making the selections. BC can't rely on the same scouts, etc who were advising NH.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

This offseason keeps getting better and better! Easily the best offseason I can remember in quite some time.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

With scouts all being sent home due to the coronavirus I wonder if there will be an amateur draft this year. I doubt it will happen in June. With colleges and high schools now closed, and athletics canceled there is no way to judge if a player has improved since his season in 2019.
BenM

Post by BenM »

404C4D161F161E13140B11260 wrote: With scouts all being sent home due to the coronavirus I wonder if there will be an amateur draft this year. I doubt it will happen in June. With colleges and high schools now closed, and athletics canceled there is no way to judge if a player has improved since his season in 2019.

That's a really good point. Especially for the high school kids.
Lecom

Post by Lecom »

4945441F161F171A1D02182F0 wrote: With scouts all being sent home due to the coronavirus I wonder if there will be an amateur draft this year. I doubt it will happen in June. With colleges and high schools now closed, and athletics canceled there is no way to judge if a player has improved since his season in 2019.

I think you are right on fj . I hope to goodness BC's staff does a better job picking these guys .

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

6F6362393039313C3B243E090 wrote: With scouts all being sent home due to the coronavirus I wonder if there will be an amateur draft this year. I doubt it will happen in June. With colleges and high schools now closed, and athletics canceled there is no way to judge if a player has improved since his season in 2019.

I have been wondering about this too. My kid is a high school senior and really wants to play soccer in college. His high school team only played 3 games this spring plus a tournament. He did go to a camp and talked to a coach of college where he went to camp last summer.

This turned out to be my kid's first choice school. When that school offered him a place on the team a couple weeks ago (no scholarship though) he decided to take it.

I was worried about signing too early but with coronavirus feel that he is lucky to have a spot (assuming he is able to graduate and thing are back to normal by fall). We figured committing to first choice school was better than getting a scholarship at second or third choice school.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Just read that MLB may consider canceling the 2020 Amateur Draft. That could hurt the Pirates since they have a seventh round pick this year. If they cancel the draft I will be anxious to see how they will combine the 2020 draft and the 2021 draft. Maybe they would take the average of the teams standing for both years, and that would be the pick.
INbuc

Post by INbuc »

Nothing seems to evolve as quickly as anything related to the Coronavirus.  However, it is still hard to envision not having some type of draft this year. 

Clemens was the 19th pick, Trout was the 25th pick--- Mattingly was picked in the 19th round.  Hopefully, Cherrington can be productive with a 32nd pick and his selection that precedes it.

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

There's no need to cancel the draft. It doesn't have to involve a gathering. The NFL is conducting off season business involving phone calls and paperwork. I don't think it benefits the country to halt all business activity as some sort of somber gesture. Let common sense prevail and do the things that can be done.