Drew Pomeranz

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

JollyRoger

Drew Pomeranz

Post by JollyRoger »

I see where the Giants signed Pomeranz to a 1 year contract for a paltry 1.5M. He could get 5M with incentives. I can’t believe that the Pirates would pass up 6’6” lefty that was 17-6 in 2017 and is just 30 years old. Granted he had injury issues last year but this is exactly the type of player the Bucs usually go after. I would have liked the Bucs to sign him. I guess that 1.5M scared them away.I have no clue what their offseason strategy is!
OrlandoMerced

Drew Pomeranz

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Not sure I'd kill the Pirates for passing on a bounce back candidate.
CarolinaBucco

Drew Pomeranz

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I agree, this would have been a good candidate and classic Searage reclamation project ... and a lefty, which we need. And at a bottom-basement price.

But I can tell you very simply what the Pirates offseason strategy is: DON'T SPEND ANY MONEY. DON'T TRY TO GET BETTER. BE HAPPY WITH "INTERNAL OPTIONS."

I'm about ready to rank this offseason is the most frustrating in recent history, surpassing the fiasco after the 2015 season.
SammyKhalifa

Drew Pomeranz

Post by SammyKhalifa »

6644574A494C4B44675046464A250 wrote: I agree, this would have been a good candidate and classic Searage reclamation project ... and a lefty, which we need. And at a bottom-basement price.

But I can tell you very simply what the Pirates offseason strategy is: DON'T SPEND ANY MONEY. DON'T TRY TO GET BETTER. BE HAPPY WITH "INTERNAL OPTIONS."

I'm about ready to rank this offseason is the most frustrating in recent history, surpassing the fiasco after the 2015 season.

Even if you're one of the most ardently down on the Pirates and management, I'm sure 1.5 MM isn't beyond what the team would spend.

The better guess is that they don't think he is going to do well (correct or not). That is evidenced by all of the other teams that also didn't want to give him 1.5 million dollars.
Bobster21

Drew Pomeranz

Post by Bobster21 »

7D4F43435765464F4247484F2E0 wrote: I agree, this would have been a good candidate and classic Searage reclamation project ... and a lefty, which we need. And at a bottom-basement price.

Even if you're one of the most ardently down on the Pirates and management, I'm sure 1.5 MM isn't beyond what the team would spend. 

The better guess is that they don't think he is going to do well (correct or not).  That is evidenced by all of the other teams that also didn't want to give him 1.5 million dollars. 

It's also possible that the Pirates and/or other teams made inquiries and he simply preferred to go to SF. I don't defend the Pirates' miserly way of operating but I also realize that every time a player signs elsewhere, it's not because the Pirates could have had him but chose not to sign him. I'm sure the Pirates don't always inquire. And sometimes a player prefers a different part of the country. Sometimes players could be concerned about the lack of emphasis on winning that Freese and Harrison noted last year and prefer a team they feel would make more of an effort to win. There are so many reasons why an available player would wind up somewhere other than the Pirates. It's not always that the Pirates had him if they wanted him.
SammyKhalifa

Drew Pomeranz

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I guess that's what I was trying to say. I totally want us to get another pitcher and have no idea who that would/could/should be.

But I'm positive that the reason it's not Pomeranz is NOT because of 1.5 million dollars.