DemDog

Dickerson a Gold Glove Finalist . . .

Post by DemDog »

According to Bill Brink of the PG Corey Dickenson A Gold Glove Finalist

Who'da Thunk It!
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

He should be considered, he played LF very well for our Battling Buccos! I had read nothing but negative regarding his fielding, felt he held his own and then some. Would love to see a Bucco get some recognition...Know that Brewers-Christian Yelich is also under consideration, but didn't Yelich play both RF and LF?

Beat'em Bucs 8-)

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

192E38281D3A3532351C1A5B0 wrote: He should be considered, he played LF very well for our Battling Buccos! I had read nothing but negative regarding his fielding, felt he held his own and then some. Would love to see a Bucco get some recognition...Know that Brewers-Christian Yelich is also under consideration, but didn't Yelich play both RF and LF?

Beat'em Bucs 8-)

Dickerson's play in LF kinda reminds me of Bill Virdon. Not the fastest guy in the OF nor with the strongest arm like Clemente but he how to take the right path to the ball, he threw to the right bases and had that quick release in getting away the throw from the OF. Unfortunately, he had a guy named Mays beating him out each year.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

05242C052E26410 wrote: He should be considered, he played LF very well for our Battling Buccos! I had read nothing but negative regarding his fielding, felt he held his own and then some. Would love to see a Bucco get some recognition...Know that Brewers-Christian Yelich is also under consideration, but didn't Yelich play both RF and LF?

Beat'em Bucs 8-)

Dickerson's play in LF kinda reminds me of Bill Virdon.  Not the fastest guy in the OF nor with the strongest arm like Clemente but he how to take the right path to the ball, he threw to the right bases and had that quick release in getting away the throw from the OF. Unfortunately, he had a guy named Mays beating him out each year.

But Virdon finally did win the GG in 1962.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

220F02131405125251600 wrote: He should be considered, he played LF very well for our Battling Buccos! I had read nothing but negative regarding his fielding, felt he held his own and then some. Would love to see a Bucco get some recognition...Know that Brewers-Christian Yelich is also under consideration, but didn't Yelich play both RF and LF?

Beat'em Bucs 8-)

Dickerson's play in LF kinda reminds me of Bill Virdon.  Not the fastest guy in the OF nor with the strongest arm like Clemente but he how to take the right path to the ball, he threw to the right bases and had that quick release in getting away the throw from the OF. Unfortunately, he had a guy named Mays beating him out each year.

But Virdon finally did win the GG in 1962.

Forever the greatest Pirate historian on OBN you picked me up when I made a big-time blooper! ;D
Quail

Post by Quail »

6A4B436A41492E0 wrote: According to Bill Brink of the PG  Corey Dickenson A Gold Glove Finalist

Who'da Thunk It!

Well, me for one-- gotta toot my own horn because nobody else will ;D. As I mentioned in this thread in September http://onlybucs.net/board/cgi-bin/onlyb ... 1537879037 Glad to hear that he made the final cut. Hope he wins it!

As a huge Bill Virdon fan I want to point out that his Gold Glove in 1962 was a remarkable achievement considering that during his playing days he was competing against not only Mays, but Curt Flood and Roberto Clemente for outfield defensive honors. Those 3 could arguably constitute the finest defensive outfield ever assembled. For 6 consecutive years the trio of Flood, Mays and Clemente won Gold Gloves. For 9 consecutive years at least 2 of the 3 won. The fact that Quail was able to break through to win a Gold Glove in 1962 against that kind of competition says it all!
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5377636B6E020 wrote: According to Bill Brink of the PG  Corey Dickenson A Gold Glove Finalist

Who'da Thunk It!

Well, me for one-- gotta toot my own horn because nobody else will  ;D. As I mentioned in this thread in September http://onlybucs.net/board/cgi-bin/onlyb ... 1537879037 Glad to hear that he made the final cut. Hope he wins it!

As a huge Bill Virdon fan I want to point out that his Gold Glove in 1962 was a remarkable achievement considering that during his playing days he was competing against not only Mays, but Curt Flood and Roberto Clemente for outfield defensive honors. Those 3 could arguably constitute the finest defensive outfield ever assembled. For 6 consecutive years the trio of Flood, Mays and Clemente won Gold Gloves. For 9 consecutive years at least 2 of the 3 won. The fact that Quail was able to break through to win a Gold Glove in 1962 against that kind of competition says it all!   

Mays and Clemente were then other 2 OF winners in '62.

It should also be noted that Virdon was by far the defensive star of the 1960 WS. He made several outstanding, run saving catches but none better than his game 4 leaping catch crashing into the wall at the 407' marker at Yankee Stadium in the 7th inning to rob Bob Cerv with 2 on and 1 out in a game the Bucs would narrowly win 3-2. That must have been frustrating to the Yankees who originally signed Virdon and kept him in the organization for 4 years before trading him to St.L. (where he became ROY) and then seeing him finish 2nd in the NL batting race the following year in his first season as a Pirate. While Virdon was obviously blocked in CF by Mantle in NY, the Yankees were using an aging Hank Bauer and guys like Gene Woodling and Irv Noren in LF and RF at the time they dealt Virdon.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

It looks like voting is now for left, center and right fielders.

I liked it better when it was for 3 best outfielders.

that being said, I hope Dickerson wins.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

He Won It!

Way to go Corey!
BenM

Post by BenM »

Congrats to him.