Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

maher.timothy20@gm

Glasnow starts for the Rays tonight

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

Hope he does well. Just not too well.
mouse

Post by mouse »

If he can ever learn to harness his ability, he'll be worth more than Archer by himself. The key is that 'ever learning' process. He may be the next Nolan Ryan type late-bloomer, he may not. I hope he's successful at least to some degree. He seemed a pretty decent person.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I still don’t think Glasnow will ever figure it out. He is a headcase and I think he always will be a headcase. Good luck to Glasnow but at the same time good riddance.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

Knowing the Rays wanted him may give him a confidence boost. It will be interesting to see what happens with him over the rest of this season and next.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Yeah, I bet he shoves it tonight.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I expect that the Rays will give Glasnow the opportunity to harness his stuff as a starter and that he will be very good for them. I think this will very much be like the Arrieta situation with the Orioles, except that the Pirates traded Glasnow before he sapped all his value in Pittsburgh.

I think its that Glasnow extended his leash to it's end last year, he wasn't going to get the necessary length again here.

I would have liked for them to give Glasnow another shot to win a rotation spot next year, but between guys like Williams, Kingham and Musgrove cementing their place in the rotation, it was making it harder for him to crack it.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7F7A7D7B7379607D7467616C150 wrote: Knowing the Rays wanted him may give him a confidence boost.  It will be interesting to see what happens with him over the rest of this season and next.
I agree. Glasnow seems to have confidence issues. In Pittsburgh, he was the hotshot prospect who was expected to be a key piece of the rotation a year ago but consistently failed and was now relegated to low leverage BP work. Glasnow could not have felt good about his situation. Now he's going to a team that asked for him in a big trade and will instantly start him. I have my doubts as to how much if any success Glasnow will have. But I think this has to energize him with a boost of confidence. Of course that won't be enough if he still can't throw strikes and then gets rocked when he has to come over the plate with runners he's put on base. But it's the best chance he has.
PMike

Post by PMike »

I'll take the other perspective. I'm an unabashed Glasnow fanboy. I am really bummed that he got traded. It isn't surprising at all that he is starting tonight for TB. And for me, that's the reality that makes this a bit palatable.

I think that Glasnow will be really good for TB. I'm really afraid he is going to figure it out and we will regret this trade forever. Who knows. The irony is, though, he wasn't going to get a shot here in Pittsburgh. It is clear that Glasnow had slipped behind Taillon, Nova, Musgrove, Kuhl, Williams, Kingham, and Holmes in the rotation. Now Archer gets added to that list. Glasnow was never going to get a shot here. I get it. I understand why. I'm just bummed cause I had hope in him.

It really worked out perfectly for Glasnow. He is starting tonight and will get to pitch in a place with little pressure and a long rope. They are really excited about getting him in the trade. Other than the ballpark and having to face the Yankees and Red Sox with regularity, it is a great location for him to go.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

glad he is getting the chance.

However, Tampa Bay has been using relievers to start some games and that may be what they are doing with Glasnow.

They may only want/expect him to go 2 or 3 innings.