Frazier and Hechiverra...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I know Kevin Newman is knocking on the door at SS but would anybody have a problem if Frazier and Hechiverra were the Pirates starting 2nd basemen and SS combo in 2019. I like the idea a lot and I hope the Pirates do as well. What do you guys think??
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I also understand and get the drumbeat for Newman at SS.

However, I like Hechavarria a lot and I wouldn't be that upset if the Pirates made him their starting SS next year on a 1-year deal with Newman in line to be the successor ... if they believe that Newman is "the guy" to eventually take over.

I have always wanted the Pirates to have a Gold Glove caliber SS. Hechavarria provides that level of defense at the most important position along with an obviously average bat.

I love Frazier at 2B from an offensive perspective ... but man I just don't know about the glove. You gotta be good defensively at 2B, and Frazier is just not there IMO.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I would go with Hetch at short and Newman at second. Frazier is just too weak with the glove for an infield position.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5D7F6C717277707F5C6B7D7D711E0 wrote: I also understand and get the drumbeat for Newman at SS.

However, I like Hechavarria a lot and I wouldn't be that upset if the Pirates made him their starting SS next year on a 1-year deal with Newman in line to be the successor ... if they believe that Newman is "the guy" to eventually take over.

I have always wanted the Pirates to have a Gold Glove caliber SS. Hechavarria provides that level of defense at the most important position along with an obviously average bat.

I love Frazier at 2B from an offensive perspective ... but man I just don't know about the glove. You gotta be good defensively at 2B, and Frazier is just not there IMO.
It's a very tough call on Frazier. He adds so much to the offense. Has that sweet swing and really drives the ball. For a guy who doesn't hit many HRs, the ones he hits are really tagged. Mostly because every hit he gets is a solid line drive and if he catches it just right it leaves the park in a hurry. But just yesterday he botched a routine grounder to 2B and Musgrove appeared animated about it on the mound. When a pitcher induces a weak grounder to 2B it has to result in an out and not a base runner. I'm probably one of Frazier's biggest fans but a team cannot allow itself to be weak up the middle. If they deal Harrison next year and turn 2B over to Frazier there has to be a backup plan (Newman?) in case Frazier's defense becomes unacceptable. But if he can become even an average 2Bman, his offense in 600 ABs (ok, subtract all the days off Hurdle will rest him) should be worth it.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

4E636E7F78697E3E3D0C0 wrote: I also understand and get the drumbeat for Newman at SS.

It's a very tough call on Frazier. He adds so much to the offense. Has that sweet swing and really drives the ball. For a guy who doesn't hit many HRs, the ones he hits are really tagged. Mostly because every hit he gets is a solid line drive and if he catches it just right it leaves the park in a hurry. But just yesterday he botched a routine grounder to 2B and Musgrove appeared animated about it on the mound. When a pitcher induces a weak grounder to 2B it has to result in an out and not a base runner. I'm probably one of Frazier's biggest fans but a team cannot allow itself to be weak up the middle. If they deal Harrison next year and turn 2B over to Frazier there has to be a backup plan (Newman?) in case Frazier's defense becomes unacceptable. But if he can become even an average 2Bman, his offense in 600 ABs (ok, subtract all the days off Hurdle will rest him) should be worth it. 

I agree with everything you said here. I would give Frazier a real shot. His offense over a full season should make up for the defense. Maybe. ;D
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

70716A7B6D2D2A1E0 wrote: I also understand and get the drumbeat for Newman at SS.

I agree with everything you said here. I would give Frazier a real shot. His offense over a full season should make up for the defense. Maybe. ;D

The other issue is that a team with a woefully inadequate defensive 1Bman like Bell cannot afford to pair him with a below average 2Bman. I'm a big fan of both Frazier and Bell but I clearly see their flaws. If someone could ever get Bell to repeat his swing consistently he could become an Eddie Murray type switch hitter. But Bell can barely handle 1B (and isn't yet even a consistent hitter). He could be valuable in the AL as a DH while Osuna or Craig could be the Bucs' 1Bman of the future. But in a close pennant chase, the errors and/or plays just not made between Frazier and Bell would no doubt lead to too many unnecessary losses. Even more than those that Hurdle factors into the schedule.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

35372D2B3D580 wrote: I would go with Hetch at short and Newman at second. Frazier is just too weak with the glove for an infield position.

I don't want them to sign Hetch unless it is for a small and short term contract. His offense is just not good enough and his defense is good but I'm not sure yet that he is better than Newman. Hopefully we will have some more evidence on their abilities during the rest of this season.

But in general Hetch is unlikely to have an OPS of even 700. He would need to have gold glove defense to make up for that.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

Remind me how this happened?

BUCS with

Archer

Dickerson

Hechivarra

and RAYS with

Glasnow

Meadows

Baz

I think you'll see Hechivarra in a Pirate uniform next year. One year and one option year.