I'm worried about Hayes

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

CarolinaBucco

I'm worried about Hayes

Post by CarolinaBucco »

This is the most Pirates thing ever.

So Hayes has an injury no one has ever heard of ... he swings awkardly and jams the knob of his bat into his wrist? What? At first he's removed as a precaution. Then he's day-to-day. Then he goes on the 10-day IL. Now he's going into his second month of being out.

MEANWHILE, as a comparison, Tatis has a nasty shoulder injury about the same time. There is a lot of talk about it being serious. For a few days there is talk about surgery and being out for the year right after he has signed a $400M contract. So OF COURSE Tatis is back in the lineup 10 days later ... while Hayes is still out because of a bat knob.

Reading between the lines of the Hayes coverage, I am very worried. I'm concerned about him coming back eventually but not being the same, worried about his wrist, or having a weak wrist, or favoring and protecting his wrist ... in other words, not being himself.

I just have a gut feeling that when he returns he won't be the same.

Which is why this is ... the most Pirates thing ever.
CTBucco

I'm worried about Hayes

Post by CTBucco »

Yes. I’m not in Pittsburgh, so I don’t see the local media coverage that much, but, from here, it seems there has been shockingly little information and coverage. Here in the greater NYC area, if a key Yankee or Met is out, the press asks and talks about it daily.

I’m not implying that there is a coverup of some kind here. But it seems like no news is probably not good news in this case.
fjk090852-7

I'm worried about Hayes

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I think they are just being very careful not to rush Hayes back. If he misses a month and a half there is still four and a half months of baseball to be played. I think we will see him back early next week.
DemDog

I'm worried about Hayes

Post by DemDog »

1007112630303C530 wrote: Yes. I’m not in Pittsburgh, so I don’t see the local media coverage that much, but, from here, it seems there has been shockingly little information and coverage. Here in the greater NYC area, if a key Yankee or Met is out, the press asks and talks about it daily.

I’m not implying that there is a coverup of some kind here.  But it seems like no news is probably not good news in this case. 

If there is any cover-up it is from the Pirates. Right now the local news media are enamored with the Stillers and their future with the recent draft picks and Big Ben and how long he will last. Of course, the Pens are in a battle for first place in their division of the NHL going into the playoffs. So the Pirates take a backseat when it comes to reporting by the local media.
Bobster21

I'm worried about Hayes

Post by Bobster21 »

They see Hayes as their most valuable asset so they are probably over protective.
MaineBucs

I'm worried about Hayes

Post by MaineBucs »

As I noted the other day, I want to ensure that Hayes is fully healed before he returns. The Pirates made a major mistake in rushing a young Aramis Ramirez back before he was ready to play.

I also note that the Pirates are in a much different position than the Padres or the Brewers, both of whom believe they have legitimate shots at winning their respective divisions. As such, Tatis comes back, but they will sit him on a case-by-case basis (last night's game). Yellich returns to the Brewers, but doesn't even last a week before another trip to the IL. Unfortunately, no one should have any illusions that the Pirates are competing for the play-offs. Thus, no need to rush Hayes back at 80 - 90% when there is a greater likelihood of aggravating an injury that has not fully healed.
WildwoodDave2

I'm worried about Hayes

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

0B272F282304332535460 wrote: As I noted the other day, I want to ensure that Hayes is fully healed before he returns.  The Pirates made a major mistake in rushing a young Aramis Ramirez back before he was ready to play.

I also note that the Pirates are in a much different position than the Padres or the Brewers, both of whom believe they have legitimate shots at winning their respective divisions.  As such, Tatis comes back, but they will sit him on a case-by-case basis (last night's game).  Yellich returns to the Brewers, but doesn't even last a week before another trip to the IL.  Unfortunately, no one should have any illusions that the Pirates are competing for the play-offs.  Thus, no need to rush Hayes back at 80 - 90% when there is a greater likelihood of aggravating an injury that has not fully healed.      
I said this on a different thread. It seems he would have been better off breaking it. At least they would know what it is. Has been out about 6 weeks
fjk090852-7

I'm worried about Hayes

Post by fjk090852-7 »

It seems that Hayes is going to be activated for Thursday’s game against the Marlins. When they activate Hayes someone has to be removed from the 40 man roster. Will it be Gamel, Tom or maybe Underwood? There are many candidates who could be removed, and I wonder which player will no longer be a Pirate tomorrow evening.
2drfischer@gmail.c

I'm worried about Hayes

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

6965643F363F373A3D22380F0 wrote: It seems that Hayes is going to be activated for Thursday’s game against the Marlins. When they activate Hayes someone has to be removed from the 40 man roster. Will it be Gamel, Tom or maybe Underwood? There are many candidates who could be removed, and I wonder which player will no longer be a Pirate tomorrow evening.

It would take less time to list the players who will likely still be Pirates tomorrow evening.
GreenWeenie

I'm worried about Hayes

Post by GreenWeenie »

Ke'bryan Hayes all around.

Don't know if he's coming up. Don't care who's going down.

Am I happy or in misery?

Whatever it is, this losing's been hell on me. :(

Help me! Help me!