The Good List

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SyrBucco

The Good List

Post by SyrBucco »

OK, I'm trying to be positive as I watch the Cards-Bucs game tonight. I was telling the  Missus that Jake Stallings was having a surprisingly good year, and was arguably our best catcher. That got me to thinking: who else should make the "good list" based upon their overall performance to date?

Josh Bell still makes my list. He carried us in May and June. Kevin Newman makes it, even though I doubt he'll stay above .300. His defense has been a pleasant surprise. I'm also putting Colin Moran on it. Sure, he's not the best defender, but he's been a clutch bat. Jose Osuna makes my list despite the small sample size. You've got to love his results.

Brian Reynolds is, of course, at the top of the list. And Starling Marte has probably had his best season, so he makes it. Finally, Melky Cabrera has been a professional hitter and a fun guy to watch. So I've put 8 position players  on the good list.

Pitchers? There were guys on there early who have slumped badly. I'm putting Felipe Vasquez on it. Anybody want to add someone else?

I decided to add Steve Brault to the good list, because he's the only guy I think of who exceeded my expectations. Who am I forgetting?
Bobster21

The Good List

Post by Bobster21 »

I would add Newman to the list. He was a 1st round draft pick and then the same guy who drafted him decided Newman was no better than a utility guy and traded another prospect (Luplow) for someone else's utility guy (Gonzalez) to be the SS. Gonzalez' injury saved NH from himself and forced Newman to play and all he did was hit .300+ all season and do a fine job at SS.

And I second your comment about Stallings. I had always viewed him as a dime-a-dozen minor league emergency backup. But this year he has solidified himself as a quality major league backup catcher. I doubt he'll ever see the minors again. Good defensive catcher who can also help with the bat.
SyrBucco

The Good List

Post by SyrBucco »

587578696E7F68282B1A0 wrote: I would add Newman to the list. He was a 1st round draft pick and then the same guy who drafted him decided Newman was no better than a utility guy and traded another prospect (Luplow) for someone else's utility guy (Gonzalez) to be the SS. Gonzalez' injury saved NH from himself and forced Newman to play and all he did was hit .300+ all season and do a fine job at SS.

And I second your comment about Stallings. I had always viewed him as a dime-a-dozen minor league emergency backup. But this year he has solidified himself as a quality major league backup catcher. I doubt he'll ever see the minors again. Good defensive catcher who can also help with the bat.   
I had Newman on there - as pleasant a surprise as we've had in years.
Bobster21

The Good List

Post by Bobster21 »

113B30003721212D420 wrote: I would add Newman to the list. He was a 1st round draft pick and then the same guy who drafted him decided Newman was no better than a utility guy and traded another prospect (Luplow) for someone else's utility guy (Gonzalez) to be the SS. Gonzalez' injury saved NH from himself and forced Newman to play and all he did was hit .300+ all season and do a fine job at SS.

I had Newman on there - as pleasant a surprise as we've had in years.
Oops, I missed that!
SCBucco

The Good List

Post by SCBucco »

133932023523232F400 wrote: OK, I'm trying to be positive as I watch the Cards-Bucs game tonight. I was telling the  Missus that Jake Stallings was having a surprisingly good year, and was arguably our best catcher. That got me to thinking: who else should make the "good list" based upon their overall performance to date?

Josh Bell still makes my list. He carried us in May and June. Kevin Newman makes it, even though I doubt he'll stay above .300. His defense has been a pleasant surprise. I'm also putting Colin Moran on it. Sure, he's not the best defender, but he's been a clutch bat. Jose Osuna makes my list despite the small sample size. You've got to love his results.

Brian Reynolds is, of course, at the top of the list. And Starling Marte has probably had his best season, so he makes it. Finally, Melky Cabrera has been a professional hitter and a fun guy to watch. So I've put 8 position players  on the good list.

Pitchers? There were guys on there early who have slumped badly. I'm putting Felipe Vasquez on it. Anybody want to add someone else?

I decided to add Steve Brault to the good list, because he's the only guy I think of who exceeded my expectations. Who am I forgetting?

Pretty much the same list. I'm glad you had Osuna on it. This is a train wreck, but have had some pretty good seasons.