5. Bryan Reynolds (S) LF

6. Elias Diaz (R) C

7. Jake Elmore (R) 3B

8. Cole Tucker (S) SS

9. Jordan Lyles (R) P
Bobster21

Pirates vs Padres - 5/17 - Game Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

Consecutive starts for Elmore at 3B. Doesn't say much for Moran.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

133E33222534236360510 wrote: Consecutive starts for Elmore at 3B. Doesn't say much for Moran.

he just can't hit lefties. Of course I don't know if Elmore can hit anyone. Most likely better with the glove.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Lyles pitching a great game. Just pitched a fantastic 6th with men on 1st and 3rd and one out. A beautiful SO of Myers for the 2nd out was key.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

5453454D4354131F66414B474F4A0845494B260 wrote: Lyles pitching a great game.  Just pitched a fantastic 6th with men on 1st and 3rd and one out.  A beautiful SO of Myers for the 2nd out was key.

Was A.J. last Pirate to get 12 k's? Getting double digits doesn't happen often.

A couple insurance runs would be great.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Another nice bounce back win for the Pirates. This was an important game tonight to give them a shot to at least split this series and give them a winning road trip. The Pirates will now finish this 11 game road trip no worse then 5-6 and with all the injuries especially now to the starting pitching you would have signed in blood for that a week ago.

Overall, the Pirates are now 10-9 in this stretch of 16 of 21 games on the road as it comes to a close here on Sunday the next 2 days. Starting on Tuesday when the Pirates return home to play the Rockies they will play 13 of their next 17 games until June 6th at PNC Park with their only road games being 4 games in 3 days in Cincinnati which will be a very very short trip before coming right back home. So needless to say it appears the Pirates will survive this grueling road trip and hopefully being back home for pretty much over 2 weeks  straight especially with all these injuries they will continue to keep their heads above water and stay in this race.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

Was at the game tonight. Lyles had great command.

Thank goodness we got 2 insurance runs in the 9th because even the Nightmare got torched for a 2 run HR in the bottom of the ninth. Can’t even relax with a 5-1 lead.

Much needed win!
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

715457574269545C5E493B0 wrote: Was at the game tonight. Lyles had great command.

Thank goodness we got 2 insurance runs in the 9th because even the Nightmare got torched for a 2 run HR in the bottom of the ninth. Can’t even relax with a 5-1 lead.

Much needed win!

Way to represent in SD!
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I fell asleep watching the game and woke up leading 2-1 in the 7th. I had a very strong feeling that Vazquez was going to give up a 2-run HR in the 9th because Lyles was pitching great, Vazquez was due for a bad game, and it would be the next thing I expected to go wrong for them. So I turned it off because I didn't want to see a 3-2 loss. I woke up and found out I was right about the HR vs Vazquez. But fortunately, the Bucs had added on in the 8th and 9th so it didn't matter. Great game by Lyles. Reynolds is still hitting. Hurdle even used Crick for the first time in a week!
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

It looks like they are gonna go with Montana Durapau in the game tonight to start the first 3-4 innings and then might use Liriano or Stratton to get to the back end of the pen. Should be interesting to see how this works out. I think at some point they are gonna have to call a starter up from the Minors with both Taillon and Williams our for awhile. Keller or Brubaker when he is healthy would be the logical choices assuming they are done using both Brault and Kingham as starting pitchers for now.