Tigers Manager Possibility . . .

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Consider the source from FanRag Sports John Perretto it seems that McClendon Could Be Fit for Tigers. 

I pity poor Tigers fans.  Trade off some big name stars and then have the possibility that they replace Asmus with Lloyd.  Holy Crap!

[EDIT-Possum, I inserted the URL so that the article could be accessed.]
mouse

Post by mouse »

I figured Detroit was in for hard times. The pizza chain owner who reached in his own pocket to keep the team stocked with higher-priced talent died, and his estate could not legitimately continue that policy. I can't see McClendon, though. MLB does love to recycle old managers, but it might be time for them to go with someone younger and just starting out. Surely they have a minor league manager ready to move up.
Jerseykc

Post by Jerseykc »

Lance Parrish has been managing their AA club in Erie for years...

Last time we saw him when they played the Curve, he looked like could probably still catch a few innings
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

705159705B53340 wrote: Consider the source from FanRag Sports John Perretto it seems that McClendon Could Be Fit for Tigers. 

I pity poor Tigers fans.  Trade off some big name stars and then have the possibility that they replace Asmus with Lloyd.  Holy Crap!
I can't imagine that. Lloyd was the worst manager I've ever seen. True, he managed a bad Pirate team but he made them even worse with absurd decisions. I was shocked that Seattle hired him but he was fired after just 2 seasons. What could he possibly have on his resume (besides incriminating photos) that could get him another job?
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

7E535E4F48594E0E0D3C0 wrote: Consider the source from FanRag Sports John Perretto it seems that McClendon Could Be Fit for Tigers. 

I can't imagine that. Lloyd was the worst manager I've ever seen. True, he managed a bad Pirate team but he made them even worse with absurd decisions. I was shocked that Seattle hired him but he was fired after just 2 seasons. What could he possibly have on his resume (besides incriminating photos) that could get him another job?

I am just flummoxed that someone would offer him a job.
BenM

Post by BenM »

595C5B5D555F465B5241474A330 wrote: Consider the source from FanRag Sports John Perretto it seems that McClendon Could Be Fit for Tigers. 

I am just flummoxed that someone would offer him a job.

I am too. Leyland is a special assistant there. Perhaps he is the one pushing it?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

“He’s grown a lot as a lot as a manager since those days in Pittsburgh,” the Tigers’ person said of the 58-year-old McClendon.

I certainly hope so.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I feel McClendon needs a veteran team, not a young growing team. How young was Seattle when he took over?

I certainly wouldn't offer him that position. He was one of the worst managers. He is only known for taking 1B and celebrating 62 wins.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Still I don't think it's fair to dismiss a guy for all time based on that time he wasn't very good like 15 years ago.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

75474B4B5F6D4E474A4F4047260 wrote: Still I don't think it's fair to dismiss a guy for all time based on that time he wasn't very good like 15 years ago. 

He was the manager in Seattle in 2014 and 2015.

Between his time with the Pirates and Mariners, he served as a Bullpen Coach (he is an ex-outfielder) and a Hitting Coach. He did have some success as a hitting coach as he was part of playoff teams.