Pirates make a deal to get Josh Smoker

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

The Pirates have acquired southpaw Josh Smoker from the Mets in exchange for left-hander Daniel Zamora and cash, the two teams announced.

Trying to contend in 2018
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Nik Turley's replacement.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

nm
INbuc

Post by INbuc »

As relievers, both Zamora and DuRapau have put up good numbers in the minors. Neither seemed to create much vibe though.

Though this isn’t what we had in mind, at least Management traded a lower level prospect for a (questionably) major league ready arm. Maybe this like trade combat training --- practice with small arms before moving to the heavy artillery.

SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

I really think the Pirates and NH lead the league in acquiring players who have just been waived from their teams and actually give up assets. What is the point of this? I guess this is our GM saying we are going to be competitive, so lets get a bullpen arm that had a 5+ ERA.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

1909083F2929254A0 wrote: I really think the Pirates and NH lead the league in acquiring players who have just been waived from their teams and actually give up assets.  What is the point of this?  I guess this is our GM saying we are going to be competitive, so lets get a bullpen arm that had a 5+ ERA.
Yep. They jumped at the chance to acquire a guy who had just been DFA'd before someone else could grab him. Wow, NH sure wasn't kidding when he said they would compete this year!
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

5F727F6E69786F2F2C1D0 wrote: I really think the Pirates and NH lead the league in acquiring players who have just been waived from their teams and actually give up assets.  What is the point of this?  I guess this is our GM saying we are going to be competitive, so lets get a bullpen arm that had a 5+ ERA.
Yep. They jumped at the chance to acquire a guy who had just been DFA'd before someone else could grab him. Wow, NH sure wasn't kidding when he said they would compete this year!

I guess Jenmar Gomez was too expensive. He wouldn't have had to give up anything. Not that Gomez is a stud either.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

For those on here that get frustrated about lack of baseball talk, I present you this highlight of the off season: the Pirates make it pretty tough to talk about baseball. :P
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

717660686671363A43646E626A6F2D606C6E030 wrote: For those on here that get frustrated about lack of baseball talk, I present you this highlight of the off season: the Pirates make it pretty tough to talk about baseball.  :P
Word on the street is that the Cubs, Cards, Brewers and Reds have all called emergency meetings to decide what moves they need to make to counter the Pirates' biggest off season acquisition of Smoker.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

5E737E6F68796E2E2D1C0 wrote: For those on here that get frustrated about lack of baseball talk, I present you this highlight of the off season: the Pirates make it pretty tough to talk about baseball.  :P
Word on the street is that the Cubs, Cards, Brewers and Reds have all called emergency meetings to decide what moves they need to make to counter the Pirates' biggest off season acquisition of Smoker.

I almost ruined my computer after spitting out an IC Light on it after reading this. Too funny.