How can Reds afford this?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

From Major League Trade Rumors --This seems like a waste of money to me:

he Reds have agreed to sign highly regarded right-hander Vladimir Gutierrez for a bonus of $4.75MM, reports Jorge Ebro of El Nuevo Herald (via Twitter). The 20-year-old Cuban righty will count again Cincinnati’s international bonus pool, which they’ve already vastly exceeded with their $7MM deal with Cuban shortstop Alfredo Rodriguez. As such, Gutierrez will come with a 100 percent luxury tax, effectively making this a $9.5MM expenditure for the Reds.

At least check, earlier this month, Gutierrez’s camp was weighing a number of options, including pitching in Japan and waiting until next year’s international signing period to embark on his minor league career. However, he’ll now add a well-regarded arm to a rebuilding Reds system, joining countryman and defensive standout Rodriguez as a co-headliner of Cincinnati’s international signings this period.
sdimmick3

Post by sdimmick3 »

it goes to show you if the REDS can do it, the Pirates can do it. I do not understand the seemingly lack of effort being given into signing some of these international players. They cant think Guyo is going to find a Marte & Polanco every year. Eventually you're going to have to pay some of these guys.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

2F38353131353F376F5C0 wrote: it goes to show you if the REDS can do it, the Pirates can do it. 

Fair enough. More broadly, it also goes to show you how stupid the current INT signing system is.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

51636F6F7B496A636E6B6463020 wrote: it goes to show you if the REDS can do it, the Pirates can do it. 

Fair enough.  More broadly, it also goes to show you how stupid the current INT signing system is.

no doubt. What concerns me is that the Bucs apparently are not doing that well in signing international players, can't compete in free agency for major league players and are now drafting outside the top 10 (which is a good thing).

How are they going to be able to continue to compete? They haven't been able to win the division and hoping that the Cubs and Cards collapse leaving the division to the Bucs isn't a real strategy.

I am expecting that the Bucs will attempt to bring in more talent this off season and not go into next year with as many question marks as this year. However, if they still need to have a relatively low payroll there will be more shuffling around of talent rather than an increase.