Off Season Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

shedman

Off Season Thread

Post by shedman »

144254404F55454E435466414B474F4A0845260 wrote: The Brewers sign Daniel Robertson for a 0.5.  What say you GW?

The current standings are:

Mets - Stroman(3.5),Williams(1),May(2.5),McCann(2.5),Lindor(4.5)

--Carrascvo(3)............................................................17

Padres - O'Grady(.5),Snell(4.5),Kim(1).,Darvish(4.5),Caratini(.5).

--Kim(1.5).................................................................11.5

Giants - Vosler(1),Gausman(2),Wisler(2),Desclafini(2.5).................

--Brebbia(1),Casale(2)................................................10.5

White Sox - Lynn(4),Eaton(2.5),Hendricks(2.5)............................9

Rays - Zunino(2),Wacha(2),Mejia(1),Davies(3.5)........................8.5

Braves - Almonte (.5),Tomlin(2),Smyly(3),Morton(2.5)...............  8

Royals - Minor(2.5),Taylor(1),Holland(3.5)...................................7

Angels - Iglesias(2).Iglesias(3),Claidio(2).....................................7

Nationals - Harrison(1),Clay(1),Bell(2),Schwarbere(3)...................7   

Dodgers  Knebel(1),Kahnle(2.5),Treinen(3)................................6.5

Rangers -,Gotto(.5),Dunning(1.5),Lowe(1),Dahl(3),Arihara(.5).....6.5

Indians - Perez(2.5),Gimenez(2),Rosario(1.5).............................6.5

Phillies - Neris(3),Alvarado(2.5.)Coonrod(0.5)..............................6

Mariners - Graveman(1),Flexen(2),Montero(2)..............................5

Marlins - Marte(3),Detwiler(1.5)................................................4.5                     

Red Sox  Renfroe(2),Andriese(2)................................................4

Asros - Gurriel(3).....................................................................3

Yankees - Britton(3).................................................................3

Cubs - Rizzo(3).......................................................................3

Blue Jays- Dolis(2),Ray(1)..........................................................3

Tigers - Urena(1),Grossman(2)...................................................3

Orioles - Iglesias(2.5)..............................................................2.5

Reds - Hoffman-(.5),Ramirez(1.5),Garcia(.5)..............................2.5

Diamondbacks - Kelly(2)............................................................2

Brewers - Maile(.5),Robertson(.5)...............................................1

Rockies - Stephenson(.5).........................................................0.5

________

Cherington puts the "pro" in procrastinate.

Whew!  Thank you again, Ben, for not signing what amounts to be a D-minus player.  The Pirates sure don't need to be going deeper into the cellar.

_________

Your baseball strategy is interesting. You want to take the worst team in all of baseball, salary dump 2 major league ball players, add no major league ball players, and then talk about how great things will be in five years.
WildwoodDave2

Off Season Thread

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

343839626B626A67607F65520 wrote: There is a rumor that the Pirates maybe one of the teams talking to the Red Sox about Andrew Benintendi. He was a draft choice of BC when he was at Boston. He is only 26 years old, has had a couple of down seasons, but he could be worth the gamble if a trade didn’t involve one of the Bucs tops prospects.
Just a crazy idea, but what if the Red Sox added a young pitcher along with Benintendi, and the Pirates trade B. Reynolds. I like Reynolds, and I would hate to lose him , but the Bucs would get a high end pitcher and 3 years of control with Benintendi. [/quote

I think it would be mistake to trade Reynolds
2drfischer@gmail.c

Off Season Thread

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

445F52535A5659370 wrote: The Brewers sign Daniel Robertson for a 0.5.  What say you GW?

Braves - Almonte (.5),Tomlin(2),Smyly(3),Morton(2.5)...............  8

Angels - Iglesias(2).Iglesias(3),Claidio(2).....................................7

Dodgers  Knebel(1),Kahnle(2.5),Treinen(3)................................6.5

Marlins - Marte(3),Detwiler(1.5)................................................4.5                     

Red Sox  Renfroe(2),Andriese(2)................................................4

Asros - Gurriel(3).....................................................................3

Yankees - Britton(3).................................................................3

Cubs - Rizzo(3).......................................................................3

Blue Jays- Dolis(2),Ray(1)..........................................................3

Tigers - Urena(1),Grossman(2)...................................................3

Orioles - Iglesias(2.5)..............................................................2.5

Diamondbacks - Kelly(2)............................................................2

Brewers - Maile(.5),Robertson(.5)...............................................1

Rockies - Stephenson(.5).........................................................0.5

________

Cherington puts the "pro" in procrastinate.

Whew!  Thank you again, Ben, for not signing what amounts to be a D-minus player.  The Pirates sure don't need to be going deeper into the cellar.

_________

Your baseball strategy is interesting.  You want to take the worst team in all of baseball, salary dump 2 major league ball players, add no major league ball players,  and then talk about how great things will be in five years.

Let's take these prevarications and dismiss them one at a time:

1.  Regarding salary dumping players, I made no comment regarding either transaction, for or against. 

2.  As you and I have discussed previously, I'm in complete favor of adding major league players.

3.  I want the Pirates to win as soon as possible.  That won't come next year, or even the year after, but that's not because I don't want it to.  It's because the organization has too few players who can compete.  Only a new owner who has the deepest of pockets and wants to win right now can change that.

Bobster21

Off Season Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

033D3830233B3B301035223166540 wrote: There is a rumor that the Pirates maybe one of the teams talking to the Red Sox about Andrew Benintendi. He was a draft choice of BC when he was at Boston. He is only 26 years old, has had a couple of down seasons, but he could be worth the gamble if a trade didn’t involve one of the Bucs tops prospects.
Just a crazy idea, but what if the Red Sox added a young pitcher along with Benintendi, and the Pirates trade B. Reynolds. I like Reynolds, and I would hate to lose him , but the Bucs would get a high end pitcher and 3 years of control with Benintendi. [/quote

I think it would be mistake to trade Reynolds
I agree. I like Benintendi but i think Reynolds is better. And in that exchange of OFers I doubt the Red Sox would give up a pitcher good enough to make it worthwhile for the Pirates.
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

If I wanted guys who have had two down seasons, I'd just keep the ones we have. We don't need to trade for those.

We need guys who have had two good seasons.
Bobster21

Off Season Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

I would disagree that Benintendi had 2 down years. In 2019 he had a respectable year hitting .266, 13 HRs and 68 RBIs. It wasn't as good as his previous 2 seasons but wasn't terrible either. In 2020 he only played in 14 games before suffering a rib injury that ended his season. But I'd rather have Reynolds.
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

Surgnbuck

Off Season Thread

Post by Surgnbuck »

122730303B0230303B3C30550 wrote: 3
LMAO....okay, this one isn't so laughable as the last two, but it's comical
shedman

Off Season Thread

Post by shedman »

The Astros nab Pedro Baez for a 2. What say you WWD?

Braves - Almonte (.5),Tomlin(2),Smyly(3),Morton(2.5)............... 8

Dodgers Knebel(1),Kahnle(2.5),Treinen(3)................................6.5

Asros - Gurriel(3),Baez(2.5).....................................................5.5

Red Sox Renfroe(2),Andriese(2)................................................4

Brewers - Maile(.5),Robertson(1)..............................................1.5

Cherington is slower than molasses in January.
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

75535441484453454D260 wrote: 3
LMAO....okay, this one isn't so laughable as the last two, but it's comical

Like I'm going to change my rating based on how YOU think. Aren't you the same guy who lost a bet to ME based in part on how we evaluated Pirates players and their abilities? Seems to me that you weren't even close. So, now, you're questioning me and my observation of players contributions. Gotta hand it to you. Trying, going down swinging. Sheesh. ;)