Today’s Cuts

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Today’s Cuts

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Haetlieb has been optioned. Difo, Wright and Goodwin sent to minor league camp. The roster is becoming more identified.
Bobster21

Today’s Cuts

Post by Bobster21 »

Very curious that Difo was cut. He plays every inf-of position including SS and CF. And he didn't haver a poor spring, hitting .275. Besides a catcher, Evans and Gonzalez, i don't see a good fit for the bench. There's no other infielder in camp likely to make it. And with Goodwin cut, the only other outfielder in camp with a shot is Fowler but he's done nothing to win a spot (hitting .194). And he lacks the versatility they need with a short bench although they tried him at 1B the other day for the 1st time in his career. Maybe there's another move coming to acquire someone.
MaineBucs

Today’s Cuts

Post by MaineBucs »

They are getting closer, but not quite still there for the 26 man roster.

I hope that there are offering Feliz around the league to see if he attracts even luke-warm attention.

With Brault to the DL, Ponce sent to the minors, and Feliz moved, they could keep both Howard and Shrev on the roster to start the season (along with Bednar) to see what either Shrev or Bednar may offer. Hoping that they can keep Holmes on the 'reserve squad'.
fjk090852-7

Today’s Cuts

Post by fjk090852-7 »

123F32232435226261500 wrote: Very curious that Difo was cut. He plays every inf-of position including SS and CF. And he didn't haver a poor spring, hitting .275. Besides a catcher, Evans and Gonzalez, i don't see a good fit for the bench. There's no other infielder in camp likely to make it. And with Goodwin cut, the only other outfielder in camp with a shot is Fowler but he's done nothing to win a spot (hitting .194). And he lacks the versatility they need with a short bench although they tried him at 1B the other day for the 1st time in his career. Maybe there's another move coming to acquire someone.   
I bet we will see Difo before the end of April. He can switch hit, and can play multiple positions. There is still the chance that the Pirates move Frazier if some team needs a second baseman.
ScottinMass

Today’s Cuts

Post by ScottinMass »

153835242332256566570 wrote: Very curious that Difo was cut. He plays every inf-of position including SS and CF. And he didn't haver a poor spring, hitting .275. Besides a catcher, Evans and Gonzalez, i don't see a good fit for the bench. There's no other infielder in camp likely to make it. And with Goodwin cut, the only other outfielder in camp with a shot is Fowler but he's done nothing to win a spot (hitting .194). And he lacks the versatility they need with a short bench although they tried him at 1B the other day for the 1st time in his career. Maybe there's another move coming to acquire someone.   
This may signal that they are thinking of going with 14 pitchers?
Surgnbuck

Today’s Cuts

Post by Surgnbuck »

5F727F6E69786F2F2C1D0 wrote: Very curious that Difo was cut. He plays every inf-of position including SS and CF. And he didn't haver a poor spring, hitting .275. Besides a catcher, Evans and Gonzalez, i don't see a good fit for the bench. There's no other infielder in camp likely to make it. And with Goodwin cut, the only other outfielder in camp with a shot is Fowler but he's done nothing to win a spot (hitting .194). And he lacks the versatility they need with a short bench although they tried him at 1B the other day for the 1st time in his career. Maybe there's another move coming to acquire someone.   
I disagree about Fowler not having versatility. He's a natural OF that can play all three spots, and looks to be an excellent choice as a defensive replacement for Polanco in games. I think that bodes well as opposed to another super utility guy.

It's the right mix I think for a 4 man bench. Doesn't anyone remember Frazier and Tucker playing so much OF? Sure, made them "versatile" but did that make them good OF? Tucker certainly didn't impress me. Osuna? Remember him?

I'm glad to see that finally, they actually have four actual outfielders again.

If they still want to play mad scientist, they can shuffle Frazier, Gonzalez, and Evans all over the diamond. In the ninth inning of a one run game though, I'd rather see Reynolds, Alford, and Fowler over Reynolds, Alford, Evans/Frazier/Gonzalez/Polanco.

fjk090852-7

Today’s Cuts

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I still think that either Crick or Feliz will be traded before Thursday. Crick was scheduled to pitch today, but they decided not to use him. Trading either one of these two opens up another spot on the 40 man roster which they might need.
johnfluharty

Today’s Cuts

Post by johnfluharty »

525E5F040D040C01061903340 wrote: Very curious that Difo was cut. He plays every inf-of position including SS and CF. And he didn't haver a poor spring, hitting .275. Besides a catcher, Evans and Gonzalez, i don't see a good fit for the bench. There's no other infielder in camp likely to make it. And with Goodwin cut, the only other outfielder in camp with a shot is Fowler but he's done nothing to win a spot (hitting .194). And he lacks the versatility they need with a short bench although they tried him at 1B the other day for the 1st time in his career. Maybe there's another move coming to acquire someone.   
I bet we will see Difo before the end of April. He can switch hit, and can play multiple positions. There is still the chance that the Pirates move Frazier if some team needs a second baseman.

And he played every position well fro what I saw. A lot of above average plays on defense.

Bobster21

Today’s Cuts

Post by Bobster21 »

30000C17170A0D2E021010630 wrote: Very curious that Difo was cut. He plays every inf-of position including SS and CF. And he didn't haver a poor spring, hitting .275. Besides a catcher, Evans and Gonzalez, i don't see a good fit for the bench. There's no other infielder in camp likely to make it. And with Goodwin cut, the only other outfielder in camp with a shot is Fowler but he's done nothing to win a spot (hitting .194). And he lacks the versatility they need with a short bench although they tried him at 1B the other day for the 1st time in his career. Maybe there's another move coming to acquire someone.   
This may signal that they are thinking of going with 14 pitchers?

But with 14 pitchers, there are still 4 guys on the bench with a 26 man roster now. Per Shelton the other day, Todd Frazier lacked the versatility they need. So far it looks like 3 of the 4 bench spots (if they go with 14 pitchers) are filled by Gonzalez, Evans and a catcher. Difo had the versatility Frazier lacked. Fowler only plays OF but so do Gonzalez and Evans. Fowler would be the only other legit CFer in that group but Difo did that too. If it came down to Fowler (OF) or Todd Frazier (1B, 3B) Frazier would be the better choice for hitting, power and leadership. So I don't understand cutting Frazier if Fowler is preferred to Difo.
MaineBucs

Today’s Cuts

Post by MaineBucs »

Although off-topic, I now see where the Nationals have a definite Pittsburgh look in their infield.

Bell at first, Harrison at 2nd, and Jody Mercer the prime infield reserve.

Hope that all do well --- except when they are playing against the Pirates.