Dodgers' SS possibilities

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

The Dodgers just lost Corey Seager for the season. They do want to stay under the luxury tax. That might mean no Manny Machado.

I wonder if Jordy Mercer is on their target list? He could be had cheap, his salary isn't high, and would be a free agent after this year.

I like Mercer and the Pirates shouldn't be trading anyone at this point. They are in first place. But I would certainly listen to all offers. If the big names aren't going to be moved, Mercer could make the list.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

070C04080D0C175254231A020B0C0C4D000C630 wrote: The Dodgers just lost Corey Seager for the season.  They do want to stay under the luxury tax.  That might mean no Manny Machado.

I wonder if Jordy Mercer is on their target list?  He could be had cheap, his salary isn't high, and would be a free agent after this year.

I like Mercer and the Pirates shouldn't be trading anyone at this point.  They are in first place.  But I would certainly listen to all offers.  If the big names aren't going to be moved, Mercer could make the list.

Jung Ho Kang
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

5D5556617752757A140 wrote: The Dodgers just lost Corey Seager for the season.  They do want to stay under the luxury tax.  That might mean no Manny Machado.

I wonder if Jordy Mercer is on their target list?  He could be had cheap, his salary isn't high, and would be a free agent after this year.

I like Mercer and the Pirates shouldn't be trading anyone at this point.  They are in first place.  But I would certainly listen to all offers.  If the big names aren't going to be moved, Mercer could make the list.

Jung Ho Kang

I like it, but they might want someone faster than he can get ready.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Kang is also a reason why Mercer could be dealt.

They benched Bellinger. Mercer for Bellinger. Perfect. Done deal.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

6269616D6869723731467F676E6969286569060 wrote: Kang is also a reason why Mercer could be dealt.

They benched Bellinger.  Mercer for Bellinger.  Perfect.  Done deal.

Yeah, I bet they'd go for that... ::)
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Why does anyone want to trade Mercer right now? Seager's loss is LA's problem to solve not ours to solve for them.

The Bucs are still competitive and to some extent Mercer has helped them. He is not All-Star caliber but he is steady in the field and not far below avg hitting. The Dodgers are not going to give us their top SS or even their 10th SS prospect for Mercer.

If we only had Pedro Florimon in the minors this year he could be some one that could be dangled in the Dodgers' eyes say for their 3rd best SS prospect. What do you think Dog? ;D
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

I'd like to trade mercer because he's a bottom 5 starting shortstop.  He's steady.  Steadily below average. 

As a backup, he would be really good so the idea to flipping him to a team looking for an injury replacement is interesting.   He could make a real difference for a team like that vs a replacement player... and we may get something ok back

His bat is going to heat up shortly as the weather warms, it always does, so it stinks that we would have got the worst part of his 2018 but oh well
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

I concur with Possum.

Following the close of last season I wanted the Pirates to break it up and trade most tradable assets, including Rivero/Vasquez (but only for a great return if he was dealt).

The Bucs are off to a good start and appear to be competitive. While I understand any skepticism that anyone wants to offer regarding the current team, I similarly see no reason to try and trade Mercer at this time.

Further, the Pirates have no one in the minors who is ready to step into the SS role and no one on the current roster.

Rodriguez is an okay spot starter at SS, but he does not appear to be a regular.

Harrison is now on the DL and has not shown the ability to be an everyday SS. I also shudder to think of a DP combo of Frazier (no glove, no ability to pivot at 2nd and not even an accurate arm for 2nd) at 2nd and Harrison at SS.

No one in AAA or AA in the middle infield has distinguished themselves to date and demonstrated that they are now (today) ready for the majors; this includes Cole, Kramer and Newman.

While I would like to believe differently, Kang is a real long shot to ever wear a major league uniform again, and he didn't show the best range (for SS) when he was healthy and in the majors several years ago and at a younger age.

In short, while this team could be 10 games under .500 by mid-June (hopefully not), today they are 1/2 game out of the division lead, have won at nearly a .600 pace, and have been competitive in most games that they have played. This is the last time that I would consider dealing Mercer or most players on the active roster.

But hey --- if the Dodgers really would trade Bellinger (Not Happening) for Mercer, then by all means, do the deal.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

I continue to be puzzled by the widespread belief that Kang won't be able to hit again because he's been away from live pitching for a year.

Arod was away from the game at 37 and came back at 39 as good as he was at 35.   

A ton of players went away to war in the 40's and 50's and came back without missing a beat.   We're they facing live pitching in Korea or Germany or Japan?

The chance that he won't hit again is very small imo.  This has been done many times before and has not been a big deal. Whether or not he can play short, yeah ok. Of course everyone is entitled to believe what they feel makes sense, but this whole "Kang won't hit" thing feels like another emporer has no clothes moment.

The idea that he wasn't getting a visa, and he was done and couldn't play anyway after being away from the game for so long was peddled by the bloggers and it was repeated over and over. The tiny sample during the winter league fed into those preconceptions. Now that he's suprisingly back, there remains widespread dismissal of his ability to hit the baseball.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4C454D5C52280 wrote: I continue to be puzzled by the widespread belief that Kang won't be able to hit again because he's been away from live pitching for a year.

Arod was away from the game at 37 and came back at 39 as good as he was at 35.   

A ton of players went away to war in the 40's and 50's and came back without missing a beat.   We're they facing live pitching in Korea or Germany or Japan?

The chance that he won't hit again is very small imo.  This has been done many times before and has not been a big deal.  Whether or not he can play short, yeah ok.   Of course everyone is entitled to believe what they feel makes sense, but this whole "Kang won't hit" thing feels like another emporer has no clothes moment. 

The idea that he wasn't getting a visa, and he was done and couldn't play anyway after being away from the game for so long was peddled by the bloggers and it was repeated over and over.     The tiny sample during the winter league fed into those preconceptions.   Now that he's suprisingly back,  there remains widespread dismissal of his ability to hit the baseball.   
That is an excellent point!