Off Season Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BenM

Off Season Thread

Post by BenM »

0E282F3A333F283E365D0 wrote: No mention of the Angels new GM, Perry Minasian. The Angels franchise has always been an odd one. Forever in the shadow of the Dodgers regardless which name they use.

For me, it's probably the number one franchise for most money spent with the least amount of return. I remember how in the Autry days they tried to buy their way to a championship, never succeeded.

Heck, even for being the home team in "The Naked Gun", the scenes were still shot in Dodger Stadium.

This one really went under the radar, didn't it?

Not only do they spend a lot of money with no success, they manage to do it despite having the best player in baseball. It's mind boggling that Trout only has appeared in only one post season.
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

No success. Interesting.. Since 2000, six division titles, while some teams haven't had any. If I have a choice between zero division titles and six division titles plus one world championship, I'll take the six & one.

I dont think that there's been a player who's been able to carry a team alone to the championship, with nine positions and more roles. The Angels and most teams leave Achilles Heels worth of gaping holes. At times, their pitching wasn't anywhere to be found.

The Mariners were another team that seemed to spend but fall short. It's a long season, and post-seasons are tough to get through. As it should be.
Surgnbuck

Off Season Thread

Post by Surgnbuck »

1025323239003232393E32570 wrote: No success.  Interesting..  Since 2000, six division titles, while some teams haven't had any.  If I have a choice between zero division titles and six division titles plus one world championship, I'll take the six & one.

I dont think that there's been a player who's been able to carry a team alone to the championship, with nine positions and more roles.  The Angels and most teams leave Achilles Heels worth of gaping holes.  At times, their pitching wasn't anywhere to be found.

The Mariners were another team that seemed to spend but fall short.  It's a long season, and post-seasons are tough to get through.  As it should be.

Well, you can cherry pick all you want, but my comment reflects all the way back to the 70's and Autry, and they have just that one WS championship, same as the Pirates. Funny, division titles mean something on one hand, championships are all that matter on the other hand.

You and Shed need to decide which one is the standard. You yourself don't even watch the playoffs by your words.

The Angels have been abysmal when you look at what they have spent, and yes, Mike Trout: One playoff appearance.

One player, nine holes, yadda yadda yadda. Then what difference did it make when the Pirates traded Cutch? Just one player right?
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

I agree with your comment about going back all the way to Autry. He seemed to be attracted to star players, and not put full rosters together.  Seems to be true of the current owner, too.

No, I didn't watch this year's playoffs. So?  What's the relevance to this discussion; or to anything?

The Pirates trading Cutch has a lot to do with the Angels.    I think I'll take a pass at that point, seeing as there isn't one.  My point that it takes more than one player to win a championship is one that i will defend.  The Pirates aren't in that conversation.
BellevueBuc

Off Season Thread

Post by BellevueBuc »

Its not like the Angels only have Trout and a bunch of guys off the street.
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

True.  The pitching has been an issue, and some other things.

They also have what all other teams have- teams that have been stronger in recent years, like the Astros and Rangers.  Back in the Autrey years, they would have guys like Rod Carew and The Express, but not surround them with enough.  They seemed to be all over the place.

Surge is right.  LA is and has always been about the Dodgers and Lakers.  They even lost the Rams for a while. I forgot. They lost the Raiders, too.
shedman

Off Season Thread

Post by shedman »

The Mets sign Sam Williams for a 1. What say you Greenweenie and Wildwood Dave?

The current standings are:

Braves - Almonte (.5),Tomlin(2),Smyly(3)..................................5.5

Mets - Stroman(3.5),Williams(1).........................................................4.5

Giants - Vosler(1),Gausman(2)...................................................3

Astros - Gurriel(3).....................................................................3

Marlins - Marte(3)......................................................................3

Yankees - Britton(3)...................................................................3

Cubs - Rizzo(3).......................................................................3

Blue Jays- Dolis(2),Ray(1)..........................................................3

Orioles - Iglesias(2.5)..............................................................2.5

Indians - Perez(2.5)...................................................................2

Diamondbacks - Kelly(2)............................................................2

Nationals - Harrison(1),Clay(1)...................................................2

Mariners - Graveman(1).............................................................1

Cherington better get one of those electrical muscle stimulators to get some circulation going in his legs and arms.
WildwoodDave

Off Season Thread

Post by WildwoodDave »

6F747978717D721C0 wrote: The Mets sign Sam Williams for a 1.  What say you Greenweenie and Wildwood Dave?

Mets - Stroman(3.5),Williams(1).........................................................4.5

Giants - Vosler(1),Gausman(2)...................................................3

Astros - Gurriel(3).....................................................................3

Marlins - Marte(3)......................................................................3

Yankees - Britton(3)...................................................................3

Cubs - Rizzo(3).......................................................................3

Blue Jays- Dolis(2),Ray(1)..........................................................3

Orioles - Iglesias(2.5)..............................................................2.5

Indians - Perez(2.5)...................................................................2

Diamondbacks - Kelly(2)............................................................2

Nationals - Harrison(1),Clay(1)...................................................2

Mariners - Graveman(1).............................................................1

Cherington better get one of those electrical muscle stimulators to get some circulation going in his legs and arms.

1 for Williams sounds right
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

Agree with the 1. Agree that Ben's got to get it in gear, or that impressive .317 WP we had last season's going to look GOOD next year by comparison.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Off Season Thread

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

352E23222B2728460 wrote: The Mets sign Sam Williams for a 1.  What say you Greenweenie and Wildwood Dave?

Had Cherington signed Sam Williams, a player you rate among the worst available, would you have given him kudos or would you have been critical?