Off Season Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Off Season Thread

Post by Surgnbuck »

4757566177777B140 wrote: Current MLB salary dumps today and the dollars going back to their selfish greedy carpetbagging owners:

Kolten Wong by the Cardinals and 12.5 million

Mike Leake, Hector Rondon by the D-Backs for 22 million

Anibal Sanchez, Adam Eaton, Howie Kendricks, Eric Thames by the Nationals for 33 million

Daniel Murphy by the Rockies for 12 million

Dee Strange-Gordon by the Mariners for 14 million

Wilson Ramos, Robinson Chirinos, Todd Frazier by the Mets for  22.25 million

Brad Hand by Cleveland

Osuna by Houston
That's 10 million back to the Tribe's coffers for Hand.

Javy

Off Season Thread

Post by Javy »

2A26277C757C74797E617B4C0 wrote: The offseason is a couple days old and Wong’s option was not picked up by the Cardinals, and now I saw that Cleveland closer Brad Hand was placed on waivers. Due to the pandemic owners lost revenue this year, and this could be the beginning of some better players becoming free agents this winter.

If this offseason is one in which owners become very reluctant to spend I could see the players union wanting a salary floor in the next agreement. This would force teams to spend up to a certain amount each year. Could be good for a team like the Pirates, they would have to consider keeping some of their homegrown talent. If a floor was agreed upon, Bob Nutting may decide it might be best to put the team up for sale.
One can only hope!!

But if a floor was created, Nutting would just impose the floor as his maximum salary.
Surgnbuck

Off Season Thread

Post by Surgnbuck »

3E3233686168606D6A756F580 wrote: The offseason is a couple days old and Wong’s option was not picked up by the Cardinals, and now I saw that Cleveland closer Brad Hand was placed on waivers. Due to the pandemic owners lost revenue this year, and this could be the beginning of some better players becoming free agents this winter.

If this offseason is one in which owners become very reluctant to spend I could see the players union wanting a salary floor in the next agreement. This would force teams to spend up to a certain amount each year. Could be good for a team like the Pirates, they would have to consider keeping some of their homegrown talent. If a floor was agreed upon, Bob Nutting may decide it might be best to put the team up for sale.
When the Cardinals and Red Sox are using the "financial flexibility" label, you know MLB took quite a beating. Someone posted an article of which teams took it hardest, the Pirates were near the very bottom.

I don't think it's solely about the Covid though. I think it has a lot to do with 2022.
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

We lost the least? Wonder why that was.
DemDog

Off Season Thread

Post by DemDog »

7C42474F5C44444F6F4A5D4E2B0 wrote: MLB published their list of 147 free agents. There are several catchers there also.

Big name is obviously Realmuto. Bucs won't be in on him, but there are a couple serviceable guys they could grab on a short term contract to help out, like Flowers and Avila. Wouldn't touch someone like Butera though.
I have been reading about Mason Martin, who seems to be getting some attention. Does anyone have more information on him?

Mason Martin Development from PG on Oct. 27

Impressive!
Bobster21

Off Season Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

Kolten Wong would be a good addition. Or they could aim lower for former LA 1Bman Tyler White. I have a hard time telling White from Wong.
fjk090852-7

Off Season Thread

Post by fjk090852-7 »

56777F567D75120 wrote: MLB published their list of 147 free agents. There are several catchers there also.

Big name is obviously Realmuto. Bucs won't be in on him, but there are a couple serviceable guys they could grab on a short term contract to help out, like Flowers and Avila. Wouldn't touch someone like Butera though.
I have been reading about Mason Martin, who seems to be getting some attention. Does anyone have more information on him?

Mason Martin Development from PG on Oct. 27

Impressive!

When one reads information about Martin, Malone, Priester, and Gonzales there is hope that the current FO can turn the franchise around sooner rather than later. Make a solid #1 pick in the 2021 draft, make a couple trades which add talent to the roster and with some of the current players like Reynolds and Hayes the Pirates could return to postseason play.
Ecbucs

Off Season Thread

Post by Ecbucs »

210C01101706115152630 wrote: Kolten Wong would be a good addition. Or they could aim lower for former LA 1Bman Tyler White. I have a hard time telling White from Wong.

always keep in mind that two Wongs don't make a right.
Bobster21

Off Season Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

795F5E495F4F3C0 wrote: Kolten Wong would be a good addition. Or they could aim lower for former LA 1Bman Tyler White. I have a hard time telling White from Wong.

always keep in mind that two Wongs don't make a right.
But do two Wongs make a White?
2drfischer@gmail.c

Off Season Thread

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

052825343322357576470 wrote: Kolten Wong would be a good addition. Or they could aim lower for former LA 1Bman Tyler White. [highlight]I have a hard time telling White from Wong.[/highlight]

Grrroooaaannn!