Off Season Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Off Season Thread

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

465D505158545B350 wrote: The Diamondbacks get Taylor Guilbeau - No score - Minor leaguer.   And no, Guilbeau is not a fish.

Maybe not, but I hear he knows his way around a sewing machine.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Off Season Thread

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

153835242332256566570 wrote: The Diamondbacks get Taylor Guilbeau - No score - Minor leaguer.   And no, Guilbeau is not a fish.
By Doc's reasoning there must be a Guilbeau snake. :)

There isn't?
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

I wonder what kind of being Ben's going to sign.

And, when.
shedman

Off Season Thread

Post by shedman »

437661616A5361616A6D61040 wrote: I wonder what kind of being Ben's going to sign. 

And, when.
_______

Ben may be getting excited by the guys he already has under contractual control.
WildwoodDave

Off Season Thread

Post by WildwoodDave »

3B202D2C252926480 wrote: I wonder what kind of being Ben's going to sign. 

And, when.
_______

Ben may be getting excited by the guys he already has under contractual control.

Article in Fridays PG saying Ben has a big decision to make. Either pick up Archer's 11million option or pay him 250,000. No difficulty there- Good bye Chris.
Bobster21

Off Season Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

033D3830233B3B3010352231540 wrote: I wonder what kind of being Ben's going to sign. 

And, when.
_______

Article in Fridays PG saying Ben has a big decision to make. Either pick up Archer's 11million option or pay him 250,000. No difficulty there- Good bye Chris.
Yeah, that's hardly a big decision. I'm sure he'll get help from Nutting on which way to go on that.

But while it's easy to jump on them every time they cut payroll, I can't say I'll be sorry to see Archer go. He has added nothing to the staff. The trade was horrendous and very poorly thought out. But keeping him for another year just to try to justify an awful trade doesn't make it less awful. I'd rather see some combination of Taillon, Keller, Brault, Brubaker, Musgrove, Williams or Kuhl than have the declining Archer pitch poorly for another year.
WildwoodDave

Off Season Thread

Post by WildwoodDave »

486568797E6F78383B0A0 wrote: I wonder what kind of being Ben's going to sign. 

And, when.
_______

Yeah, that's hardly a big decision. I'm sure he'll get help from Nutting on which way to go on that.

But while it's easy to jump on them every time they cut payroll, I can't say I'll be sorry to see Archer go. He has added nothing to the staff. The trade was horrendous and very poorly thought out. But keeping him for another year just to try to justify an awful trade doesn't make it less awful. I'd rather see some combination of Taillon, Keller, Brault, Brubaker, Musgrove, Williams or Kuhl than have the declining Archer pitch poorly for another year.

Definitely agree- most of the pitchers you mentioned have the ability to improve. Archer doesn't
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

We don't know their ability to improve. It's only a possibility.
Bobster21

Off Season Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

7C495E5E556C5E5E55525E3B0 wrote: We don't know their ability to improve.  It's only a possibility.
True. But at least there's hope that we haven't seen the best of what those guys can do. I'd rather give them the opportunity to improve than have another disappointing season from Archer. And while there's a possibility he could improve, his steady decline since 2015 suggests what you see from Archer is what you get.
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

I have to- relectunatly- agree with you.

Any more than that, and I go onward with pessimism, so will leave it at that.

My point is that people- not just on here, but everywhere- often confuse "ability" (which is nearly impossible to determine) with "possibility."

A good example of many was Pedro Alvarez. I kept hearing about the guy's "ability." Whatever ability he had, he needed more of it to stay in the majors, evidently. In his case, his ability was an impossibility.