Off Season Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

Here's a guy who has an opinion, doesn't insult anyone, and has plenty of credibility.....unless you go to lunch with him. ;))
shedman

Off Season Thread

Post by shedman »

5B6E7979724B79797275791C0 wrote: Here's a guy who has an opinion, doesn't insult anyone, and has plenty of credibility.....unless you go to lunch with him.  ;))
_____

When I go to lunch, as a retiree on a fixed income, I expect someone who is working to pick up the tab.
Surgnbuck

Off Season Thread

Post by Surgnbuck »

I've been a retiree since 1998 on a fixed income, and you never even bought me a stick of gum!
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

I may need to change the title of this thread to The Credibility Thread. ;)))
Surgnbuck

Off Season Thread

Post by Surgnbuck »

764354545F6654545F5854310 wrote: I may need to change the title of this thread to The Credibility Thread.  ;)))
I have been retired since 1998...on my 38th birthday!
SCBucco

Off Season Thread

Post by SCBucco »

49626366666364597E6B7E6365640A0 wrote: In two years we will have,

Mason Martin crushing 35 hr per year

Priester / Malone / Taillon /Kumar

Gonzales / Hayes hitting each 280 /25 /90

Cederlind as closer.

Reynolds /TSwag and Jack Farmer in the OF.

Farmer is my pick to click . Thought it would be this year but , ya know.

The future is bright  ;D

plus we have Moran who is just tapping into his game.  Cruz who will have had the worst awakening a young man should ever have. He will be on a mission of life for the res of his life.

I know this is a bit sarcastic, but lets dial it back on Taillon. He has yet to show he is healthy. I wouldn't be stunned if he isn't on the roster in two years based on his continuing health issues.
SCBucco

Off Season Thread

Post by SCBucco »

63515D5D497B58515C595651300 wrote: I mean his number one job should be to rebuild the minors and development, and we've seen literally zero of that.

Let's dial it back a bit here. I'm as negative as anyone relative to the future of this organization, but he hasn't been here a year. He has rebuilt the minors, or started with the Marte trade and this last draft and a few international signings. I would have gone a different direction with our first two picks of the draft, but he is rebuilding the farm system. He doesn't have much talent as far as trade to reshape it in a year.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Off Season Thread

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

677C717079757A140 wrote: In two years we will have,

Cederlind as closer.

The future is bright  ;D

plus we have Moran who is just tapping into his game.  Cruz who will have had the worst awakening a young man should ever have. He will be on a mission of life for the res of his life.
_______

Every team has prospects.  Some of our prospects will do well and some of the other teams prospects will do well.  Some of our prospects will bust and some of the other teams prospects will bust.  That doesn't move the needle at all and we are starting with the worst team in all of baseball.  Waiting 2 years is nothing more than kicking the can down the road and giving Cherington a pass on doing his job right now.

If, over the next two years, Cherington built a major league team that made the playoffs, one that then had a legitimate chance to reach the World Series and win it at least once over the next three to five years, would it have been worth the wait?
shedman

Off Season Thread

Post by shedman »

742234202F35252E233406212B272F2A6825460 wrote: In two years we will have,

Cederlind as closer.

The future is bright  ;D

_______

Every team has prospects.  Some of our prospects will do well and some of the other teams prospects will do well.  Some of our prospects will bust and some of the other teams prospects will bust.  That doesn't move the needle at all and we are starting with the worst team in all of baseball.  Waiting 2 years is nothing more than kicking the can down the road and giving Cherington a pass on doing his job right now.

If, over the next two years, Cherington built a major league team that made the playoffs, one that then had a legitimate chance to reach the World Series and win it at least once over the next three to five years, would it have been worth the wait?

____

I would rather see 5 more wins in 2021 and then ten more wins in 2022, and then if we compete for a World Series in 2023, that would be great. But, I am not interested in kicking the can down the road for 2 more years and doing nothing right now.
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

I'm voting 'no.'

Two years in sports is eternity, when added to the one that's been wasted.

Besides, just in more recent versions, here's what I recall about The Future That Never Arrives:

The Jason Bay Dump, which includes others.

The Andrew McCutchen Dump, which includes Cole and Marte.  The roster that we see today is the result of those two Dumps.

There were probably more before them.  Those are two times we were dumping the talented players we had to acquire The Future.

Now, a third time, and probably more.

Didn't buy it then.  Not buying it now.

We hired The Ben Cherington, not some Cherington Light.  The Ben Cherington was capable of building a much better roster in less time.  He's already squandered Year 1.  That's on him. 

In some defense to him- being fair- some of the reason that I don't buy it is because of his boss.  But, a good portion has been at his front door, too.