Off Season Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Off Season Thread

Post by DemDog »

734651515A6351515A5D51340 wrote: So?

In the end, you know that people aren't changing, just as we know that the Pirates aren't changing.  There are no surprises.

That leaves the individual to make an easy decision:  Do you let it get to you or not?

So what you are saying is that when you and I don't agree on something that we need to just let it go because I won't change you and you won't change me?

That sounds just fine with me. Two of my best friends and I do not agree on politics but we just let it go and do not bring it up so we can remain friends.

This is a lesson for all of us on OBN.
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

That's an incorrect interpretation.

The correct interpretation is that- people, as a rule, aren't going to change in their reactions to how sports teams perform.

Win, they tend to have more favorable comments.

Lose, they won't.

Lack of perceived effort to improve? Perception is reality. Just about every enterprise that people care about will receive unfavorable comments about it.

That is unlikely to change.

Not exactly rocket science or brain surgery. It's comon sense.
ChillinStation

Off Season Thread

Post by ChillinStation »

566468687C4E6D64696C6364050 wrote: I mean his number one job should be to rebuild the minors and development, and we've seen literally zero of that.

Are you kidding me ? We got two nice prospects for Marte . Ben fired all the guys in milb land . He is doing work slowly , silently but swift when needed. We landed a Baseball mind somehow, luckily. Trading players for international money / signings etc. Thats what good GM do .
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

Ben's doing a lot to help some other town's teams.  Time to do something to help his Pittsburgh Pirates that finished more poorly than the team he inherited.
ChillinStation

Off Season Thread

Post by ChillinStation »

In two years we will have,

Mason Martin crushing 35 hr per year

Priester / Malone / Taillon /Kumar

Gonzales / Hayes hitting each 280 /25 /90

Cederlind as closer.

Reynolds /TSwag and Jack Farmer in the OF.

Farmer is my pick to click . Thought it would be this year but , ya know.

The future is bright  ;D

plus we have Moran who is just tapping into his game. Cruz who will have had the worst awakening a young man should ever have. He will be on a mission of life for the res of his life.
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

So what?

Umpires don't add runs to the Pirates score based on what suspects do.

Think.  Sure, the Bucs probably have some suspects who are doing well.

While we think about that, how many stop to consider that other teams also have their share of suspects who are doing well, too?

When you're driving, you can look straight ahead if you want.  The best drivers know what's around them.

So, these suspects from all over the place are doing well.  Meanwhile, back at the ranch, every one of our competitors did better than us. The potholes are right in front of us.
Bobster21

Off Season Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

4075626269506262696E62070 wrote: So what?

While we think about that, how many stop to consider that other teams also have their share of suspects who are doing well, too?

When you're driving, you can look straight ahead if you want.  The best drivers know what's around them.

So, these suspects from all over the place are doing well.  Meanwhile, back at the ranch, every one of our competitors did better than us.  The potholes are right in front of us.
Is there anything that anyone could say that is not of the doom and gloom variety that you would not take exception to? You have no more credibility than a wind up doll that repeats the same phrases in every situation.
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

If you're talking the next season or two, I would say no.  I come to that conclusion based on the team's history.  It's up to them to do something to make me change my opinion.  It's not going to happen on its own or by someone's wishful thinking.

If you want to insult someone by comparing them with a wind up doll, and suggest a lack of credibility, why not start with someone who has the ability to make the difference- BOB and is wind up messages every off-season?

I'll defend my credibility to his any day.

I don't know how one measures credibility, but at least I rendered an opinion rather than just by insulting someone. Someone who does that lacks credibility in my dictionary.
WildwoodDave

Off Season Thread

Post by WildwoodDave »

7E535E4F48594E0E0D3C0 wrote: So what?

So, these suspects from all over the place are doing well.  Meanwhile, back at the ranch, every one of our competitors did better than us.  The potholes are right in front of us.
Is there anything that anyone could say that is not of the doom and gloom variety that you would not take exception to? You have no more credibility than a wind up doll that repeats the same phrases in every situation.

Wind up doll. Now I like that ;D
shedman

Off Season Thread

Post by shedman »

7E5554515154536E495C495452533D0 wrote: In two years we will have,

Mason Martin crushing 35 hr per year

Priester / Malone / Taillon /Kumar

Gonzales / Hayes hitting each 280 /25 /90

Cederlind as closer.

Reynolds /TSwag and Jack Farmer in the OF.

Farmer is my pick to click . Thought it would be this year but , ya know.

The future is bright  ;D

plus we have Moran who is just tapping into his game.  Cruz who will have had the worst awakening a young man should ever have. He will be on a mission of life for the res of his life.
_______

Every team has prospects. Some of our prospects will do well and some of the other teams prospects will do well. Some of our prospects will bust and some of the other teams prospects will bust. That doesn't move the needle at all and we are starting with the worst team in all of baseball. Waiting 2 years is nothing more than kicking the can down the road and giving Cherington a pass on doing his job right now.